Viewing 12 posts - 41 through 52 (of 52 total)
  • any winter (road) jersey recommendation?
  • gavtheoldskater
    Free Member

crc should bung you some commission, they just sold out… but i’m not an xs so i dont feel bad about missing a bargain.

benp1

So following this thread, I wore something different today

Last few days I’ve worn a base layer and a Gore Phantom zip off softshell jacket into work. Have felt a bit warm on the couple of inclines part way through the ride. I zip the sleeves off for the ride home but still have been a touch warm… Thought I’d change it up

This morning wore base layer, LS jersey and a Morvelo Hemisphere Gilet, which is what I was wearing in about Feb/March ish time. It then rained the whole way in!

I was a bit chilly later on and then warmed up and was fine. Gilet was spot on as usual, I’ve got the bright yellow one which is great for commuting. I have loads of gilets but mainly use this one and the Rapha Brevet one for road/commuting, but the Morvelo one has pockets which really handy. All my damp kit is in the drying cupboard in the changing room. Socks have now dried out

Will probably ride in base layer and jersey on the way home

komainu
    Free Member

gavtheoldskater – Well that was fast, I’ll send a printscreen and invoice over to crc right away 😆

I don’t know if it’s been mentioned but the Endura BaaBaa merino range is great value for money. I use the baselayers with or without a jersey under a Gore Power jacket or gillet in winter – splendid combo for regulating core temperature.

atlaz
    Free Member

Gabba here. Have some thick PX long-sleeve jerseys that I wear with a gilet on not terribly cold days when I’m off-road. But mostly the Gabba if it’s properly cold and I’m on the road bike.

iainc

the only downside I have found, since becoming a Gabba/Perfetto convert, is that most of my other long sleeved tops are now languishing unworn in the drawer….

The Perfetto works from 20 degrees down to about 14, the SS Gabba down to about 10, and the LS one down to around 5 or 6, the Gabba’s with just a SS base layer

gavtheoldskater
    Free Member

Sadly the gabba stuff, from the searches I’ve done, is more than (the wife says) I can spend.

Good looking well designed kit though.

Yak

Update – the Torm T8 turned up. Perfect fit – fitted but not race-tight. I’m in a small and am 5’8″, 10st, 36″ chest. Arms are a perfect length too. Rode on the mtb just now in 12 deg, so no gilet and only a mesh vest baselayer. Spot on. I can see me living in this on the bike during the autumn/winter/spring with a variation in baselayers and shell/gilet as needed.

gavtheoldskater
    Free Member

Good timing yak, thanks for the update, I had emailed torn this morning and they were very helpful, my reservation being that wind would whistle through like the merino tops I’ve worn in the past, so I’m quite tempted myself.

But now I need to start a ‘what Gillet’ thread.

Yak

Yes – I phoned Torm before ordering to check sizing. Very helpful.

Wind goes through like a polyester top, so a bit better than a merino. Not an issue today at mtb speeds, but if was on the road I would have worn a gilet.

iainc

if you are looking at the likes of the Torm T8, also worth looking at the Howies version:

here

I got one of these the other day. As you say, it will need a windproof gilet for much use on road below around 12 degrees I reckon.

Mine will be used off road beneath a shell on wet days

DezB
    Free Member

I just don’t get gilets. If my body’s cold my arms will be. Tried one, no use whatsoever.

SportPursuit have Helly Hensen (amongst others) merino tops for £30. Worth a look (quick dispatch on the HH as the sale’s almost over)
    not sure if this pic’ll work:

greentricky
    Free Member

Galibier.cc do some great gear, this might be a good one:
    Wind jersey

Viewing 12 posts - 41 through 52 (of 52 total)

The topic ‘any winter (road) jersey recommendation?’ is closed to new replies.