Viewing 40 posts - 41 through 80 (of 117 total)
  • Any traffic police on here?
  • monkeysfeet
    Free Member

10 yrs as a TP. Just do what we do, stick our Neeee Naaaw sirens on and hurtle past at 120mph on the outside lane in my big X5.

Simples….

I am not joking.. :}

mikewsmith
    Free Member

So we are playing the I want to undertake time to come up with a set of reasons why I’ll do what I shouldn’t…

Marin
    Free Member

Undertake and if pulled pass the attitude test and all is fine.

edlong
    Free Member

You cannot overtake on the left in these circumstances.

You can.[/quote]

I think it’s the quality of debate that keeps bringing me back here. 😉

monkeysfeet
    Free Member

As a professional I refuse to be drawn into this ….

perchypanther
    Free Member

I think it’s the quality of debate that keeps bringing me back here.

No it isn’t. 😉

cf
    Free Member

That you shouldn’t be going fast enough to catch up with the guy who’s doing 65 mph?

True, Sorry I mean’t if they were going slower than 60. I assume you just sit and wait for them to move over

monkeysfeet
    Free Member

It’s behind you.

perchypanther
    Free Member

It’s behind you.

…approaching fast on your left.

ebygomm
    Free Member

On the M1 there’s frequently people sat in Lane 3 (of 4) doing 65mph whilst 1 & 2 are completely empty. I know technically I should be moving out of lane 1, all the way across to 4 to go past but I just carry on in lane 1.

imnotverygood

Yes there is: You. You are the traffic, and if you’re moving faster than the traffic in lane 2 you can therefore move past (in your lane).

So, under what circumstances would you not be allowed to undertake?
    I also note that the OP asked for advice from traffic cops, and there doesn’t seem to be many of them in the last two pages of replies.

DezB
    Free Member

I think it’s the quality of debate that keeps bringing me back here

Takes years of practice 😀

DezB
    Free Member

I also note that the OP asked for advice from traffic cops, and there doesn’t seem to be many of them in the last two pages of replies.

New.. etc..?

mikewsmith
    Free Member

So, under what circumstances would you not be allowed to undertake?

The HC rule is fairly clear (unless you want to read it in a way that makes it not…
    Traffic/Congestion is when all lanes are moving about the same speed and the natural flow makes you need to pass on the wrong side.

Marin
    Free Member

My advice comes straight from a traffic cop. Most people on here would get a ticket.

monkeysfeet
    Free Member

As above, trafffic congestion [ie, average speed cameras, lanes travelling within the similar average speed]
    If it was as the OP suggests then an offence[driving w/out due care] occurs.
    You would then have the [dis]pleasure of 10 minutes in a fart filled police vehicle. :} :}

mikewsmith
    Free Member

Marin – Member
    My advice comes straight from a traffic cop. Most people on here would get a ticket.

For undertaking, overtaking or arguing?

taxi25
    Free Member

On a quiet motorway surely you were able to see this guy from a considerable distance away and were able to move out to lane 3 in plenty of time to pass him safely on the right without wildly swinging across all 3 lanes or undertaking?

In the Op’s situation this is all you need to know. It’s what good drivers do automatically. I’ve never got this angst about middle lane hoggers, yes their a minor irritation but just use the outside lane and overtake them.

GlennQuagmire
    Free Member

The HC rule is fairly clear (unless you want to read it in a way that makes it not…

Very much this. I thought it was a very simple rule to interpret. In the OP’s first scenario undertaking would be illegal.

I’m surprised this is confusing so many people.

DezB
    Free Member

Interested to know – those who (truthfully) say that they’ve seen people pulled over for this undertaking (non)manoeuvre – have you ever seen anyone pulled over for middle lane hogging? Cos I haven’t. Not never ever.

Marin
    Free Member

All three for you Mike.

doris5000

just pull out.

my logic is that if someone is a numptying along like that, they’re probably also a bad enough driver to pull over to the left without looking or indicating. I don’t much fancy that gamble.

That said, I will undertake if I have a clear lane in between us, as happened at the weekend. Bloke in the fast lane doing 65, nothing in middle lane at all 😆

Drac

Cunning, their quota is down so they get a friend to give bad advice on the internet. Problem solved.

mikewsmith
    Free Member

Marin – Member
    All three for you Mike.

So what does your friend say is wrong with overtaking?

perchypanther
    Free Member

Interested to know – those who (truthfully) say that they’ve seen people pulled over for this undertaking (non)manoeuvre – have you ever seen anyone pulled over for middle lane hogging? Cos I haven’t. Not never ever

Yes, a few times for both. Always on the M74 between Gretna and Abington. I drive this stretch of motorway a lot and rarely make the journey without seeing a traffic car and / or a camera van.

samunkim
    Free Member

Few years ago, I undertook on a fairly busy motorway, where middle lane traffic was very heavy, but no-one using the slow lane.

I had overtaken about twenty cars,doing about 10mph faster when a middle lane hog saw me coming & deliberately chopped across me (and braked) without indicating.

Suddenly the blue lights ( of an unmarked police car ) come on behind.
    Ohhhh Shiiiiip.
    I pulled over onto hard shoulder, but the police driver just drove past and pulled over the other driver and last thing I saw in rear view mirror was the other driver getting a proper bollocking.

So yep, under passing ok as long as in streams of traffic and speed differences not to great.

monkeysfeet
    Free Member

**makes a note of all of you lot for future reference **

Cougar

I thought it was a very simple rule to interpret. In the OP’s first scenario undertaking would be illegal.

No. In and of itself, undertaking is not illegal.

If you get pulled for it then you might get accused of “driving without due care” or some such, but there is no specific law which prevents passing on the left.

DezB
    Free Member

Yes, a few times for both. Always on the M74

Yeah, I think the A27 is a law unto itself. Bit like the M25. You fellas should pop down and have a go on it. It’d be an eye-opener I’m sure. 😉

Stoner
    Free Member

driving without due care

Ive always wanted to get pulled and for “driving without due care” and to respond saying “Rubbish, it takes lots of care to keep this thing on the racing line!”. I reckon it would get me off.

thisisnotaspoon
    Free Member

Traffic/Congestion is when all lanes are moving about the same speed and the natural flow makes you need to pass on the wrong side.

Does it define congestion?

OED: congested: adj. (of a road or place) so crowded with traffic or people as to hinder or prevent freedom of movement.

Congestion could be someone in the middle lane doing 60 preventing anyone else doing 70 in the first lane.

mikewsmith
    Free Member

In congested conditions, where adjacent lanes of traffic are moving at similar speeds,

It gives parameters

tlr

And there was me thinking I’d get a quick, straight answer on here…..

I’d certainly agree that in the first scenario the best and least contentious practice would be to pull over to the outside lane, overtake and then return to the lady lane.

In the other scenario though you would have to pull into the middle lane, slow to the middle lane drivers speed, wait for a gap in the outside lane, move into it, overtake and then move back into the last lane. This is more ‘dangerous’.

And for a final scenario, what about if the outside lane is also only doing 65mph, due to volume of traffic forced out there by the middle lane driver, but the inside lane is clear for hundreds of yards. Can you then legally keep doing 70mph and undertake both lanes of traffic, do you slow to 65mph and not undertake, or do you trg and join the outside lane of traffic adding to the problem?

This final situation seems very common, even on busy motorways.

perchypanther
    Free Member

“Rubbish, it takes lots of care to keep this thing on the racing line!”. I reckon it would get me off.

That’s the same reason why I always drive really quickly down the middle of the road, straddling both lanes.

It clearly says on the paper bit of my old driving licence “Tear along dotted line”

molgrips
    Free Member

I’m less concerned about getting a ticket than not being hit.

We’re taught to check our mirrors before pulling out, but I don’t think many people check them before pulling in. I think many people who’ve stayed out after an overtake would suddenly realise they should’ve pulled back in and then do so. They probably won’t look in their mirrors to do so. No-one expects to be undertaken do they? That’s why it’s not allowed because it’s dangerous.

I usually come up behind and flash my lights. 8 times out of 10 they realise what they’re doing and pull back in.

teasel
    Free Member

“Tear along dotted line”

The oldies are…uh…old.

chakaping
    Free Member

And for a final scenario, what about if the outside lane is also only doing 65mph, due to volume of traffic forced out there by the middle lane driver, but the inside lane is clear for hundreds of yards. Can you then legally keep doing 70mph and undertake both lanes of traffic, do you slow to 65mph and not undertake, or do you trg and join the outside lane of traffic adding to the problem?

This final situation seems very common, even on busy motorways.

Oh yes. Best course of action is probably to whizz up lane 2 and ram the offending vehicle.

perchypanther
    Free Member

The oldies are…uh…old.

Keepin’ the classics alive.

Jamie
    Free Member

And there was me thinking I’d get a quick, straight answer on here…..

That’s adorable in it’s naivety.

I am going for 11 pages, 2 flounces, a divorce, one offer of a fight down the swings and a new species of gastropod being discovered.

GlennQuagmire
    Free Member

No. In and of itself, undertaking is not illegal.

If you get pulled for it then you might get accused of “driving without due care” or some such, but there is no specific law which prevents passing on the left.

Splitting hairs here methinks – if the act of undertaking was deemed to be driving without due and attention, and hence illegal, then it should not have been done.

But I see your point.

Viewing 40 posts - 41 through 80 (of 117 total)

The topic ‘Any traffic police on here?’ is closed to new replies.