Viewing 12 posts - 1 through 12 (of 12 total)
  • any tips re upping cadence ? ( twiddling just feels so wierd and unnatural).
  • kaiser
    Free Member

Is it simply a case of practice. i’m getting a dodgy knee and need to up my pedaling cadence but whenever I do it it feels horrible (always been a grauncher) and i can’t keep it up for any length of time.
    advice/experience/tips greatly received
    thanks in advance
    Bill

handyman153
    Free Member

Bill…

When I started trying to up mine, I found the gear I would usually be in, then went 1 gear easier.
    It wasn’t to much of a jump, but it meant you where spinning slightly more than you would have been. Over time, build it up and go easier and easier and it should fall into place.
    It worked for me eventually.

Cheers,
    Josh..

aP
    Free Member

Don’t go over 66″ gear and see the leg speed increase.

Picto
    Free Member

Use a computer with a cadence feature. Find your average cadence and set yourself targets building from it to work to.

I find it easier to build up cadence on road rides. Rollers are pretty good for helping up cadence and develop decent pedalling technique too. Not everyones cup of tea though. Turbo can be handy too as it can be a constant effort so easier to maintain a cadence.

Rorschach
    Free Member

Given that I rode nothing but ss for 3 years I expected my cadence to be really low when I got on the road bike-without conciously trying its always 95-96 revs average.

pypdjl
    Free Member

i can’t keep it up for any length of time

FNARR!!!

DavidB
    Free Member

Reduce crank length if you can

glenp
    Free Member

Don’t know if this sounds familiar, but for me (and I think a lot of people) there is a sensation of bouncing on the saddle as you spin faster – the solution is to imagine sitting into the saddle harder, so that you are more anchored to the bike.

Also, try visualising the pedal stroke coming from the hip and don’t think about your feet.

Finally, practice on very smooth terrain, tarmac being ideal.

rkk01
    Free Member

Stay seated

ampthill

Just practice on the road lots. Don’t try and go fast (along the road) just focus on smooth

I believe stretching can help as well

glenp
    Free Member

The way you pedal is not usually questioned – because we can all ride a bike in that most basic way. But consider that youn learn to pedal at aged four or so, at an age when the only thing to reference it to is walking and running. So for ever more, unless given deliberate attention, we pedal like we walk – plod, plod, plod. The frequency is a bit slower than ideal, and the action can be up and down, rather than round and round.

MrSmith
    Free Member

ride fixed on the road (66-70gear inches)

Viewing 12 posts - 1 through 12 (of 12 total)

The topic ‘any tips re upping cadence ? ( twiddling just feels so wierd and unnatural).’ is closed to new replies.