Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)
  • Any soundproofing engineers in the house ?
  • dropoff

Ok so the problems not an unusual one, we have alot of noise being transmitted through the party wall from our neighbours. I was just wondering if anyone has worked with the sound proofing materials that you can get and what success they had. Any comments remedied welcome.

FallOutBoy
    Free Member

We put bookshelves across the entire of our party-wall (we have a lot of books) and that cured both noise and storage problems…

robdob
    Free Member

Second that. Sound proofing stuff is very expensive and may not work as well as a bookcase or other stuff put accross that wall. I believe you can get plaster board which has sound deadening in it but this obviously means ripping the wall down to install it.

Always have a look at the small gaps such as round skirting and architraves. Sound transmits very well through small gaps and holes, using decorators caulk will help if there is a problem, or expanding foam if it’s big.

Large heavy wallhangings seem to be recommended sometimes, although we are not in Tudor times so they are not a common choice nowadays.

20cm of solid wood and paper will obviously be very good when you compare it against the alternatives!!

wwaswas

I did this;

soundproof a wall

in a similar situation and whilst it didn’t stop all noise it was a big difference and worth the cost/time, this company supplied all the bits I needed and were very helpful.

the trick seems to be to not hang anything off the party wall – it just transmits the sound, otherwise.

robdob
    Free Member

That does look good but obviously does shrink the size of your room, especially the extra stud wall idea. If your DIY skills aren’t great or if the house is rented then the bookshelf idea obviously would be more attractive.

dropoff

Thanks for the interest. i like the bookshelf idea but it’s in the bedroom that we want to get quiet first if we can.wwaswas did you use the soundproof membrane at all ? i thought I’d rip off the existing plasterboard, skim the blocks and then rebuild a new stud with 50mm studs using the quilt those people supply. Don’t know if it’s worth using the membrane aswell. Think I’ll give them a ring.

ourmaninthenorth

Fall out with your neighbours. I did after several weeks of The Killers pounding through the wall at 3am….

I’m waiting for him to be made redundant, when no doubt it will all start up again…. :cry:

wwaswas

dropoff – I built the stud partition thing with all the layers on as per their demo thing. It was basically in two alcoves with a fireplace between (victorian terrace).

didn’t really reduce the size fo the room significantly – it’s only 3or 4 inches think in toto after all – and the proportions of the wall weren’t too badly affected even with the fireplace still there.

I didn’t bother plasterign afterwards – just made sure there weren’t too many joins ont he plaster board, filled aroudn the edges with their acoustic sealnt stuff and used heavy lining paper – to be honest the wall looked better than the rest of 100 year old plaster in the rest of the room.

dropoff

wwaswas, cheers just checked their site :)

Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)

The topic ‘Any soundproofing engineers in the house ?’ is closed to new replies.