Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 15 total)
  • Any snorkelers in the house?
  • Bianchi-Boy
    Free Member

I’ve just booked to go back to a resort that I went to last year. I really enjoyed the snorkeling their but only had a cheap set from the local camp shop, which wasn’t very comfortable.

I don’t mind spending a bit of money on a quality snorkel and mask this time but have no idea what to get.

Anyone able to offer some help?

BB

thepurist

Snorkels – the one thing that makes a difference is a decent valve on the mouthpiece as clearing is far easier. You don’t need any of that othr fancy garbage that they try to sell. It’s still alarming how much you can pay for a bent tube though. Something like this should be fine, but you might as well lose the top cap too as it’ll just drag while you’re underwater)

Masks – best thing to do is to go to your LDS and try on lots of different types to see how they fit and what the field of view is like. To test fit just put the mask to your face and inhlae through your nose. If it sticks there (without the strap, obviously) then it’s an OK fit. Most will use a silicone skirt so you have the choice of a translucent skirt or black.

(BTW I’m an underwater hockey player so spend a few hours a week snorkelling)

King-ocelot
    Free Member

Try a few masks on. To get a good fit tilt your head back a bit and place the mask on, if you snort and breath in it will stick to your face if it’s a good fit for you. I find snorkels with drains a bit gimmicky but some of my friends prefer them. Making me want a holiday now!!

King-ocelot
    Free Member

!!!beaten to it!!! My thoughts too thepurist

maxray
    Free Member

Ahh best thing about our holidays to Greece is the snorkeling, not sure I would fancy doing it around our shores as much though.

Bianchi-Boy
    Free Member

Thanks everyone.

It is Greece that I am off to, can’t wait!

BB

Craggyjim
    Free Member

I’ve been getting into snorkeling a bit this year in Cornwall and Pembroke. Absolutely brilliant. Especially when you get an inquisitive seal. By contrast snorkeling in Corsica was very disapointing.

Decathlon had some snorkels with a one way valve for clearing for about a tenner the other day.

Haribo
    Free Member

my advice would be to get to your local diving shop and spend money on the mask and save on the snorkel. As long as it has some means to clear easily should be fine.

oh and buy yourself a pair of fins while you are there – all the difference and means you can snorkel longer and further (and deeper 😈 )

we and the wife were in the maldives this year – snorkelling with sea turtles and (almost) mantas = amazing…but i woudl go back to egypt in a second as its sig cheaper and imho better than the diving i did on the barrier reef.

maxray
    Free Member

Where abouts BB?

simon_g

No substitute for trying on every mask and seeing what works – as said, inhale through nose and it should stay on with very little effort without the strap.

If you do buy fins, get the open-foot ones for wetsuit boots. Keeps your feet protected when you walk out to wherever you’re snorkelling (some places have sharp and/or stinging things to tread on) and are comfier on your feet than the full-foot ones.

toys19
    Free Member

I do lots of spear fishing off the south coast of devon, I would echo the commnets above, go to a divign shop for a really good mask, and get a cheap snorkel. Flippers rule.

Surf-Mat
    Free Member

Bought a pair of masks and snorkels in NZ 11 years ago – still going strong. They were priceyish at the time but well worth it.

Did loads of snorkelling on a recent holiday to Majorca – soooo warm and soooo clear!

Stupidly freedived to 9 metres to get a mask I’d spotted on the seabed – didn’t equalise, my ears sounded like they burst (like a can of drink being opened in my head) and I was in total agony and felt sick for about an hour afterwards – DOH DOH DOH!! Got the mask though – it was for my little boy. He loves it!

TurnerGuy
    Free Member

Shave any hairs from the top of your feet before trying on fins – otherwise you can think the fin is tight to get on when all you feel is the hairs being pulled!

Olly
    Free Member

we live above a dive shop, so before our hols went down to see Kev and get some masks worth getting.

He said:
    Silicon seal, not rubber.
    Dont bother with a fancy snorkle, a tube works just fine if not better
    other than that, try before you buy. Like helmets, or shoes, they are different, so will vary from person to person.

I cant wear jose’s, it intrudes on my eye sockets too much (for instance)

iirc, your looking to be able to hold it on your face with only gentle inward pressure from your nose, and ideally have no pressure points on your face at all.

Bianchi-Boy
    Free Member

Thanks for the advice everyone, I guess I need to pop along to our local dive shop.

Maxray, back to Corfu. I really enjoyed a hard ride in the morning on the bike and then an afternoon relaxing snorkeling in the sun.

BB

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 15 total)

The topic ‘Any snorkelers in the house?’ is closed to new replies.