Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 45 total)
  • any sailers on here?
  • taka
    Free Member

Hi,

does anyone know the best place for marine charts for whitby and surrounding coastline?

had a look on the internet but not much has come up

Cheers tom

davidjones15
    Free Member

Not liking the look of your mast.

taka
    Free Member

bit ugly isn’t it lawn needs mowing as well

jambalaya
    Free Member

Try googling “Admiralty Charts” or IMRAY which are popular chart suppliers, you can buy online for convenience – for a small boat like that IMRAY would work well as the charts are somewhat waterproofed. You could also search for “Chandlery” locally as they will have charts in stock.

B.A.Nana
    Free Member

Not another new wheel standard? shed needs painting etc.

cbike
    Free Member

imray charts and their local pilots guides are what you might be after. Digital ones exist these days as well.

taka
    Free Member

them imray ones look good but theres none on there website of that area apart from large scale maps for ships

jambalaya
    Free Member

@taka, I just looked and the websites a bit rubbish but I think you are right they only do larger scale for that area. You can call Seachest in Plymouth, only suggest them as its a marine bookshop I like to support

Seachest

If you google “chandlery Whitby” you should find a local supplier. I don’t know that part of the coast at all, perhaps there isn’t that much leisure sailing in the area hence low demand for such charts. The Admiralty will have a chart I am sure. You will also get harbour plans from a Nautical Almanac but you do need a paper chart.

jambalaya
    Free Member

Call the harbour office and explain what you are looking for Link

stevewhyte
    Free Member

Stick to a lake if I were you.

Greybeard
    Free Member

You could consider software like Memory Map and a marine chart package, which could be linked to gps as a bonus.

Mantastic
    Free Member

You are going to need a bigger boat

crshand
    Free Member

Kelvin Hughes are the UK distributor for Admiralty charts and sell Imray charts. There is a Chart Selector on their Bookharbour website which should help you find any charts you need.

cloudnine
    Free Member

That mast looks like it may have once been a telegraph or powerline pole.. I’m not sure is set off on an ocean adventure in that.

thisisnotaspoon
    Free Member

Not wanting to piss on your chips, but if you don’t know where to get chart from do you have any experience sailing? Just asking as reading a chart and navigating have very little in common with doing the same on an OS map apart from both involve paper, and wandering off the ‘path’ in a boat tends to need heliopters and lifeboats to put right rather than dragging a bike off a bog.

Pop into your chandlers (the sailing equivelent of the LBS), they’ll stock them.

cloudnine
    Free Member

Its ok.. he wanted the advice of sailers (people who find cheap stuff at cut prices) not sailors.

yetidave
    Free Member

try speaking to the folk at the sailing club, may give you some pointers about where to go etc.

Not sailed at Whitby for years, but do rememeber some serious weather coming in onto that shoreline, lots of cliffs, and you have quite a small boat, albeit with quite a big mast… 😉

hunterst
    Free Member

Its ok.. he wanted the advice of sailers (people who find cheap stuff at cut prices) not sailors.

*Pedant Fail* 😆

Oh the irony! – that doesn’t quite work does it?
    In the context above, the word is spelt “sale” not “sail”

🙄

cloudnine
    Free Member

Duuuh.. a sailer is a bargain hunter with nautical knowledge… not necessarily a sailor.
    Dont you know anything.

bikebouy
    Free Member

^ that boat ^

Are you really sure about going to Sea in ^ that boat ^

Search for a local Chandler, they should help, then go on over to the Harbour Master and explain your (cough) trip, then over to the Lifeboat Station to explain your (cough) trip, then I’d inform the Coastguard too and then I’d infomr the MCA.

All joking aside..

^ that boat ^

It needs the soap taking out of it first.

glasgowdan
    Free Member

Is that boat a CJR? It’s a small and unstable wee thing, be very careful as the NE coast gets a huge swell at times even without much of a wind on, and can turn in a matter of minutes. Stay close in.

Are you planning to fish? Or just out for socials? What engine and backup power have you got? Oars won’t be enough; you need a 4-5hp aux on a boat like that.

Please don’t underestimate the amount of money you have to spend to be safe.

jambalaya
    Free Member

Beauty is in the eye of the beholder.

FWIW I think that’s a motor boat, powered via an outboard.

bikebouy
    Free Member

^ that boat ^

Beauty is indeed in the eye of the tiger.

glasgowdan
    Free Member

Of course it’s a motor boat! The term sailors is still suitable though!

glasgowdan
    Free Member

You’ll need VHF licence (illegal to use VHF without it, you need to check in with port authorities before heading out so they can log your details and raise the alarm if you’re not back in time) and onboard VHF plus backup handheld VHF, full inflatable lifejackets for everyone on board at all times, GPS, main and aux power, roadworthy trailer with working lights and if the boat goes over 500kg GROSS brakes too, anchor/chain/rope to prevent drift onto rocks in the event of breakdown, first aid kit, a set of dry clothes, sharp knife, charts, plus a few other things.

I had small fishing motor boats for a few years. It’s a lot of work but worth it.

With that boat though, please be careful!

emac65
    Free Member

IMHO that boat should stick to inland waters,but it’s only imho matey…….

carbon337
    Free Member

Sorry your boat is crap, please don’t go into the North Sea in that.

I’ve raced and cruised yachts and dinghies on this coast for 25 years.

RNYC do a guide to ports on the north east coast. Royal Northumberland yacht club. They sell it in local chandlers so you may pick one up down there. If not Storrar marine store in Newcastle will sort you out.

As above though a proper paper chart is minimum alongside digital charts. VHF, flares, spare fuel, spare impellers for outboard, spare sheer pin, spare 2 stroke oil, funnel, lifejacket a, glow sticks, anchor with decent amount of chain plus rope. Knife. Spanners, screw drivers, pliers, wd40, spare spark plugs,

^ just to get you started

esselgruntfuttock
    Free Member

Are you intending to go fishing in/on it? stick to the harbour & you might get some whiteys, or go out in this….

http://sea-otter2.co.uk/information-2/boat

420hp Cat engine too.

PS, I know I’m not even invited but I wouldn’t be going far out of Whitby in/on that.

stevewhyte
    Free Member

carbon337 – Member

I thought I put it slightly more gently, and that’s saying something.

geologist
    Free Member

Hello sailors 🙂

davidjones15
    Free Member

It’s the mast, isn’t it?

bikebouy
    Free Member

No, no I think it’s the alloy wheels on the trailer that give it away.

I’d really like to take the piss a little more, but to be fair to the OP he did actually ask about charts and Nav, so im inclined to wind my neck in and praise him a little for asking such intelligent questions.

taka
    Free Member

bikebouy – Member
    ^ that boat ^

Are you really sure about going to Sea in ^ that boat ^

that boat has been across the irish sea from Cambletown to Glenarm

taka
    Free Member

glasgowdan – Member
    Is that boat a CJR? It’s a small and unstable wee thing, be very careful as the NE coast gets a huge swell at times even without much of a wind on, and can turn in a matter of minutes. Stay close in.

Are you planning to fish? Or just out for socials? What engine and backup power have you got? Oars won’t be enough; you need a 4-5hp aux on a boat like that.

i havent a clue what make it is i took in in px for my jaguar 27 yacht its got a 110hp main outboard and a 15hp aux the smaller engine powered me a few miles back to shore in a swell off scotland easily enough when the main engine decided to seize

thisisnotaspoon
    Free Member

my jaguar 27 yacht

You were 16 and pleading poverty pedaling tat on the classifieds not long ago! How did you end up with a nice boat?

glasgowdan
    Free Member

A 110 outboard? How big is the boat? It looks like a 15footer, these things usually have a max of 50 on them. The transom might not be rated for a 110 and the boat could be ripped to bits by the engine!

My advice – trade it back in again for a bike and forget sailing!

thisisnotaspoon
    Free Member

Actualy, more to the point how did you sail a 27ft yacht without charts?

rudebwoy
    Free Member

is this not a case of extreme ignorance !

emac65
    Free Member

Actualy, more to the point how did you sail a 27ft yacht without charts?

It’s not so hard,my dad used to know a bloke that did regular channel crossings to France & the like.He had charts but couldn’t read them, so he used to follow the ferries across to where he was going !

Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 45 total)

The topic ‘any sailers on here?’ is closed to new replies.