Viewing 31 posts - 41 through 71 (of 71 total)
  • any roadies on here with tyre pressure advice please.
  • dirtygirlonabike
    Free Member

I’m between 8 and 8.5 stone too elaine, and have 23c tyres on my road bike. I pretty much always have 100 psi in my tyres. I notice the difference if i can’t be bothered pumping them up and it drops down to 80 or below – the bike feels much slower. When on the cx bike with cx tyres i use about 80psi – your bike must feel really slow/draggy with 60 in the tyres!

TiRed

11 stone, 23c and 100-115 psi depending on weather. If you pump them up too hard you will feel the back end bounce around over road imperfections. 150 psi for the track (unless its sunny! 😯 )

ajc
    Free Member

When people talk of softer tyres feeling much slower it is very relative. The difference for me from 90 to 120 psi over a 10 mile time trial is about 15 seconds but its a damn sight more uncomfortable and I wouldn’t want to corner fast in the wet with them that hard. Just because your teeth are chattering on hard tyres dosen’t mean you are really travelling much faster.

stevewhyte
    Free Member

100 psi is fone on a road bike unless

A. You are in the Tour de France or

B. You’re a Fat B!!!!!!!!

pinches
    Free Member

i’m about 65kg and i’ve been running 135psi in my 23c ultremos since i got them, can’t really tell any difference in comfort until i tried the “max” of 145psi and it was very harsh.

i’ve ran them in the wet like this too and they were as consistant in terms of grip as in the dry

convert

pinches, if you are prepared to push it a little around the corners, experiment at your current pressure then try dropping 40psi plus and if you can’t tell the difference you are not pushing hard enough!

thomthumb
    Free Member
    cynic-al
    Free Member

RealMan – Member
    Eh? 8.5 stone rider squirming tyres at 60psi?
    Yes.. 60psi on a road bike feels horrible.

You are 8.5 stone too? 🙄 Oh, hang on, you are 12 and probably are… 😛

Steve-Austin – Member
    112.5 rear
    107.5 front

I might go down 6% if the roads are wet

*glee*

GW
    Free Member

Why would you pump up your tyres then wait a few days before trying them ? 😕
    try them straight away, I’m assuming you live near a road.

ahwiles
    Free Member

i weigh 77kg, i’ve got 25mm tyres on my road bike.

the rear gets 85ish psi, the front gets 75ish psi.

yes, i could go higher, but my teeth fell out the last time i tried it – sheffield roads are terrible.

samuri
    Free Member

Loving the people saying what’s right and wrong. Was that a chart telling us what the pressure should be? Crazy!

To those people who aren’t sure, most of us who don’t refer to a chart experiment until we find what suits us best. I’d recommend taking a smilar approach. Try your tyres soft and hard, you’ll notice differences with both, some of which will suit you and some which won’t.

HTH.

rusty-trowel
    Free Member

13 stone and run about 110psi front and back.

cynic-al
    Free Member

ahwiles – Member
    i weigh 77kg, i’ve got 25mm tyres on my road bike.

the rear gets 85ish psi, the front gets 75ish psi.

yes, i could go higher, but my teeth fell out the last time i tried it – sheffield roads are terrible.

More or less this. I may lose 0.00043% top speed but I can still keep up on the chain gangs – proper fast chain gangs with 1st cats on them 😡

elaineanne
    Free Member

lol what are you saying mr cynic ( how dare you roll your eyes at me hahahhhHha….. yes im 8.5 stone….not bad weight for my age… i guess i could be a tad lighter but then i wud be a stick insect and i dont want that…lol
    going to keep with 80 psi… does this mean i will go faster …yipeeeee…. yeah its all about experimenting…. i do that with the MTB….. only roady bikes its all a new ball game… 😉
    good to get feedback…. 😉

foxyrider
    Free Member

Usually go on 100 – 110 psi for speedy road riding and commuting/winter slow riding 90-100 – 71 Kg here 🙂

radoggair
    Free Member

Elaine-anne, thats 2 posts now where you have opened up brackets but not closed them. Its this button …. ) 🙂

5lab

its worth noting that the gauges on pumps are pretty pish when it comes to accuracy. I’d not be surprised (based on experiance) to see 10-15% off.. good for checking its the same ‘as how you had it’, but not great for forums

(15psi on the mtb, 85 on the road bike. 13 stone)

cynic-al
    Free Member

“8.5 stone”-flame-gate was directed at “Real”man.

MrSmith
    Free Member

At 8.5 stone running 100 psi will feel like running solid wooden tyres!
    Unless you’re racing try around 70 to 80 psi and have a comfy ride.
    Usual macho crap in abundance advice so far. :-
    Edit: If your running 60 psi with no ill effects don’t worry.

^sanest post in this thread.

10 and a bit stone, 23c’s 95 rear/85 front drop them 5psi for the pavé
    a high tpi and the right pressure for the carcass means good grip (and less rolling resistance) overinflating does nothing to improve speed or comfort.

so much crap written about tyres

best read this to dispel all the myths
    http://www.sheldonbrown.com/tires.html

elaineanne
    Free Member

5lab….. no way you put 15 psi in your MTB….get a grip lad… 😉 :mrgreen:

Edric64
    Free Member

I use about 115psi for road riding but my TT tyres ger run at 150psi

MrSalmon
    Free Member

I’m about 12.5 stone, 23mm tyres and I usually have about 100 in the front and 110 in the rear. I’ll maybe let a bit out if it might be a bit slippery.

If they’re much lower it does feel slower but I wonder how much of this is in the mind. On the Dartmoor Classic this year I noticed the front had gone down to 70 at the second feed stop, I got it back up to 110 but the knowledge that it was going down relatively quickly made it seem quite draggy for the last leg.

atlaz
    Free Member

15psi 😯

I assume there’s no riding just tyres rolling off rims/snakebites etc?

druidh
    Free Member

I’m 12 stone and run my 23c at 115psi (or thereabouts). With modern frame design, materials and manufacture, there’s no reason a bike should be uncomfortable at those sorts of pressures. I reckon the whingers are either riding crappy old iron or are just too soft.

emanuel
    Free Member

weight in kg=0.atmospheres.or weight divided by ten=atm.
    drop half an atm in the front.
    go down 1-2 atm. when it rains.

my first bike mechanic told me that.
    feeling fast usually means its too high.

wallop

12 stone here, put 100psi front & rear on the road bike, and 25/30 psi F/R on the MTB.

emanuel
    Free Member

1 stone – 6.35 kg
    1 atm – 14.69 psi

gone as low as 50psi,as high as 200psi..95/105 feels about right for 69-70kg.

fenred
    Free Member

gone as low as 50psi,as high as 200psi..95/105 feels about right for 69-70kg

200psi!?!? Do you have any fillings left? Not to mention sperm count…gulp 😯

elaineanne
    Free Member

eh lol @ 200 psi ahhahah 😯 giant tyres then about to explode ? :mrgreen:

emanuel
    Free Member

I think the rims would break at the sidewall before the tyres exploded..cartoon style.
    I don’t reccomend it.that’s all I’ve got to say about it..

aracer
    Free Member

There is at least some sensible stuff on here about not running too high pressures amongst the macho men suggesting pumping tyres up as hard as they’ll go. For those racing who’re pumping the tyres up harder, but then noticing the vibration and thinking that’s a sign of going faster, you should read that Sheldon Brown article, which includes the following line:

In practice, riding surfaces aren’t perfectly smooth, and overinflation actually increases rolling resistance, due to vibration.

I used to pump the tyres on my TT bike up to ~150psi (20mm tubs), but more recently have been running as low as 110 having realised that very high pressures are counter-productive.

Viewing 31 posts - 41 through 71 (of 71 total)

The topic ‘any roadies on here with tyre pressure advice please.’ is closed to new replies.