• This topic has 38 replies, 27 voices, and was last updated 9 years ago by sas78.
Viewing 39 posts - 1 through 39 (of 39 total)
  • Any recommendation for an Indian restaurant in Edinburgh?
  • sam_underhill

As above really. We’ll be staying fairly centrally, so somewhere within an easy walk / tram / short taxi ride ideally.

tenacious_doug
    Free Member
    Liftman

Kismot(pleasance) or Omar Khayyam (Haymarket)

joshvegas
    Free Member

there are a few but more importantly.

You missed out bus in your travel options.

The busses are great and will get you anywhere.

sam_underhill

Cheers.

Oh yeah, bus. We can get buses as well. 🙂

jamiep
    Free Member

I like Khushi’s because it is tasty but cheap and free byob (note, doesn’t serve alcohol)

oldbloke
    Free Member

Tanjore on Clerk St. BYOB too.

NZCol

Had a meal at the OK the other week and it was excellent.

turboferret

Kalpna is very good, albeit purely vegetarian.

Cheers, Rich

cynic-al
    Free Member

I’ve had the best in Omar Kahyam

yourguitarhero
    Free Member

+1 for Tanjore – really good food.
    Had a cracking Dhosi pancake for my birthday:

onehundredthidiot

Kushis but it must be the one on Broughton st. Not any of the others. Its small so book.

zinaru
    Free Member

making me hungry…

sam_underhill

and me

yourguitarhero
    Free Member

Am now cooking a curry

konabunny
    Free Member

Had a meal at the Excellent the other week and it was okay.

onehundredthidiot

Mother India is ok but overrated

IHN

This one around the corner from my mate’s house in Comely Bank:

http://www.ronaqrestaurant.co.uk

is apparently Shaun Connery’s favourite Indian

wwpaddler
    Free Member

Zest on St. Andrews street

glasgowdan
    Free Member

Used to be a wee tiny place on the road down to Morningside, on the right, that was superb (Amani, seems a takeaway only though so prob not much use).

Kismot, yes I’ve been there on a stag, men with taste though so it was rather nice. Watched some idiot with a date ordering the killer and failing to finish one spoonful. Wonder if he got a second date out of her!

bantasanta
    Free Member

Pataka on causewayside is pretty nice.

onehundredthidiot

IHN if its Sean Connery’s favourite then it must be a non dom based in LA surely not what the OP was after.

sas78

Eastern Pavilion, Corstorphine best in Edinburgh. 12, 26 and 31 bus stop right outside!

Guru, Polwarth is second. Walkable from Lothian Road.

Purely my opinion but I have tried a lot of them!

scotroutes

Ah – the Guru in Polwarth. Good call.

rajboab
    Free Member

Mother India Cafe is good but TBH expensive and not too spicy. Good for an Indian Tapas Type meal though.
    What’s the place next to the Haymarket Bar on Morrison Street. Pretty good curry there, but not cheap.
    http://www.ronaqrestaurant.co.uk only changed name a year or so ago. Has Sir Sean been in Jockland in the last decade? Went when it was The Far Pavillions (I think) not outstanding.
    Guru. Used to live in Polwarth. 10 years ago it was good and the portions were huge. Cmon the JTs!
    My opinion is that there’s no stand out place in Edinburgh. During the day I’d go to the Mosque Kitchen (the main Mosque one, not the version on the main street). Cheap as. Massive portion. Plastic plate. Job done.
    At night…Kebab Mahal (EH8 9BH)!

Stuart

Northwind

Tanjore is quality. Though I reckon they understate the hotness a bit, dhosas don’t soak it up the same way rice does and it catches people out. The fish kal masala is nigh godly. I could eat there every night

Khushis can be a bit up and down imo, it’s always good but it’s not always brilliant. We keep going because of a family connection but I don’t know if we would otherwise. St John’s Curry Club in Corstorphine’s a bit further out but it’s one of those places, it looks like crap, the service is a bit surly, but it’s still usually rammed because the food is awesome.

Does it have to be an indian? Go offpiste, head to the clerk street kampong ah lee, malaysian place. All that meat’ll probably give you bowel cancer in a single sitting mind but it’s fab. Mmmm nasi goreng

scotroutes

That’s a joke, yeah?

ojom
    Free Member

Au contraire my oniony pal, the Kebab Mahal is a bloody good eat.
    No booze and no BYOB, but all the Rubicon you can handle.

In seriousness, it’s not a traditional restaurant but the curries in there are exceptionally good for the money. Palak Ghost and Korma stand out. The korma is spicy though so watch out if you expect the normal dessert taste of a korma.

Mother India is totally over rated – it’s ok but not as good as everyone says. Maybe it has declined over time.

Don’t over look the nepalese place at Churchill – that is quite good.

yourguitarhero
    Free Member

Guru have proper Elephant ear naans.

NZCol

Might have to give Guru a try then.

V8_shin_print
    Free Member

The Guru used to be my local too, good but it’s a bit of a trek from the centre. If you’re looking for a nice meal there are several good Thai restaurants closer to the centre, Dusit and Passorn being two of my favourites, but Chaophraya should be considered as it’s an amazing location.

castanea
    Free Member

+1 for the Mosque kitchen. Solid helpings, cheap and flavourful. Cash only.

Mithas down at the shore gets rave reviews but when I went it was a poor atmosphere and a bit pretentious for what we wanted that night. Alright food tbh.

Shapla. Somewhere easter road ish. Amazing chef. Best korma I’ve eaten, period. Really nice wee place. Highly recommend.

Some interested shouts in this thread, am going to have to go eat some new Indian soon.

dufusdip
    Free Member

You’d be better going through to Weegieland, and that’s coming from an Edinburger!

V-Deep down at Leith (Henderson St) is getting good write-ups.

Zest used to be OK but the last twice I’ve been it’s been rank.

sam_underhill

Lots of useful info here. Cheers peeps.

surroundedbyhills
    Free Member

+1 for Kushi’s on Broughton Street.

simply_oli_y
    Free Member

Mother India
    Mosque kitchen

Northwind

I like the mosque kitchen. Proper food served by surly people, in what seems to be a school cafeteria. Weirdly they have a downstairs section that they don’t tell you about, which is usually empty. But I figure if you go there you’re probably up for the general style of the place

sas78

No seconds for the Eastern Pavilion?!

Wow, it really is a hidden gem – for Edinburgers who havent been – get yourselves there, the depth of taste they get in their curries is amazing and according to a couple of Indian guys at work its the most “authentic” Indian cuisine they’ve had in Edinburgh.

Could murder a curry now…

sas78

…and a pint of ice cold Kingfisher.

Viewing 39 posts - 1 through 39 (of 39 total)

The topic ‘Any recommendation for an Indian restaurant in Edinburgh?’ is closed to new replies.