Viewing 22 posts - 1 through 22 (of 22 total)
  • Any reason not to get a 1.6TDI Octavia Estate?
  • sambob
    Free Member

Any known issues? Looking at 2009/2010 sub 80k miles to replace our old Audi A6 estate. Cheers all.

jam-bo

Does it come with driving gloves and a tartan blanket on the back seat?

sambob
    Free Member

Doubt it, Octavia’s the only estate I can get insured on though at 17 🙁

Duffer
    Free Member

I can’t speak for the 1.6tdi, but we’ve not long bought a 2.0tdi CR Octavia Hatch. It’s lovely. You’re probably better off asking somewhere like Briskoda, rather than STW.

sambob
    Free Member

I thought everyone on STW had an Audi or a Skoda?

CountZero

I’ve got an Octy! Mine’s the 1.9TDi, so a bit more power, 110bhp, but a very comfortable car, handles well, acres of space, and brilliant for steady long-distance runs. I think the 2.0TDi has a few issues, not sure about the 1.6, but that aside, go for it.
    [edit] Mine’s the hatch, but that’s the only real difference. At 17, you’re getting a hell of a lot of car, and, like I said, the Octy is a very comfy car to drive. I test drove a VW Bora before I drove the Octy, it was a year newer, and £1000 more expensive, but it was horrible to drive, and just not at all comfortable. I’d driven an Audi A4 regularly at work, and sitting in the Octy was immediately familiar, right down to heater and radio controls.

allthegear
    Free Member

Just sold my Octavia Estate so have a spare set of Thule roof bars, should you need that sort of thing…

Rachel

singlespeedstu

Octavia estates are awsum cars when they come with a free fuel card. 😉

curvature
    Free Member

Can’t comment on the car but I have to question your comments.

You can only insure the Skoda but already have an A6 which would always be a more expensive vehicle to insure?

BlindMelon
    Free Member

You’re 17 get a hot hatch and pull some birds lad

allthegear
    Free Member

Insurance is a strange thing – my new Fabia VRS is cheaper to insure than my old Octavia Diesel…

neilm
    Free Member

I had a 1.6TDI as a hire car for a few months (12,000 miles) last year. 60mpg ave, comfy, quiet and sh*t loads of room for bikes. I got three mtb’s and three adults in it for a trip to the FoD.

They are basically VW’s.

I liked the one I had, and would happily have another.

dd23
    Free Member

sambob – Member
    Any known issues? Looking at 2009/2010 sub 80k miles to replace our old Audi A6 estate. Cheers all.

Kinda contradicts your “it’s all I can insure at 17” statement you made earlier, come on, are you telling porkies, are you really a 45 year old dad of three? It’s ok….

pjm84
    Free Member

45 year old here with a 1.6d Volvo V70, and 2 dogs.

P20

I own the 2ltr Tdi 4×4 estate. Brilliant car. As above its comfy, capable and huge. Can’t comment on the 1.6 though

sambob
    Free Member

Parents car DD23, strange that I can’t get insured on it, as I can get insured on a 1.9 Octavia. Cheers Rachel, we’ll be using a towbar rack though so shouldn’t need the roof bars, will probably need a roof rack for putting the boat on though.
    Cheers all, sounds like a winner. Agreed on the amount of car for my age too, many bike trips are in the pipeline. 2 month wait for my driving test is frustrating mind.

CountZero

If you’re doing long-ish road trips for biking, or with a boat, you’ll come to appreciate having the space and comfort on those runs. The Octy is a really nice car to do long, 2-3 hour trips in, without finding yourself fidgeting around after ten minutes. Like the 1.6L Vectra I was forced to drive for a while at work; Clarkson isn’t wrong about those cars, truly hateful thing to spend time in, probably the most uncomfortable seats ever inflicted on an innocent public. I’d be wriggling around trying to get comfy before I even got off the estate, facing a two hour drive to a client was soul-destroying.

mikewsmith
    Free Member

How much go and grunt does the 1.6 have? We had a 1.9 TDI from 04 (90 I think) and it was fine, but fully laden and a big hill and you could notice the drop in go. If your planning to tow or carry a lot have a look at the 1.9 or at least check out one of the Skoda forums for some advice.

Apart from that heaps of room and nice to drive.

m0rk
    Free Member

My wife has a Leon with the 1.6 CR engine in it

It’s a nice easy engine, but not as economical as the blurb would have you believe – normally 46-52mpg on a run… bizarrely less economical than my vRS hatch.

Power is 105PS/185lbft – which is enough to move itself about at decent speeds with cog swapping as the power band isn’t that big.

sambob
    Free Member

As above, 105 PS. Will consider the 1.9, as there’s naff all difference in insurance costs, although running costs may be slightly more.

Northwind

The boot space isn’t brilliant, or rather, it’s not that usable- somewhat encroaching arches, high lip. Basically the sole reason i don’t have a scabby Mk1 VRS estate :mrgreen: Might or might not bother you.

CountZero

5bhp difference. My 1.9 is 110bhp. A long steady motorway run has seen 64mpg on the computer. I usually get about 500 miles from a tank.

Viewing 22 posts - 1 through 22 (of 22 total)

The topic ‘Any reason not to get a 1.6TDI Octavia Estate?’ is closed to new replies.