Viewing 24 posts - 41 through 64 (of 64 total)
  • Any reason not to buy a Giant TCR Advanced 1…?
  • mudshark
    Free Member

Saddle looks low – how tall are you?

Rorschach
    Free Member

Being very lanky I’ve only taken 15mm off the isp.You get a 2nd longer seat clamp so if needs be the seat will go 40mm higher but you’d have to have a 36′ inseam.
    It’d be an issue if you bought one and were short of leg though 😕

mr_mills
    Free Member

mudshark – Member

Saddle looks low – how tall are you?

I’m 5’10”. That was taken before I’d ridden it and I think it’s a tiny bit higher now but not much. I’m longer up top with shorter legs. It fits nicely. M/L is the right size according to Giant’s sizing thingy though.

mrblobby
    Free Member

Mr Mills, it is indeed a lovely bike.

Rorschach, that is also lovely. I did think about the SL but I seriously doubt a man of my modest abilities would notice the difference and would get much benefit so couldn’t really justify the price hike.

Edit: I’m a six footer and went with the ML. Tried the L but it just didn’t feel right. The ML felt absolutely spot on.

mudshark
    Free Member

Fair enough – just looks a bit different without so much seat post showing, I notice yours is the older frame so maybe their frames are more compact now.

mr_mills
    Free Member

Mine’s a 2013.

BrickMan

If I had option between equiv spesh/trek/giant (tarmac/madone/tcr), it would probably be the TCR with ultegra mechanical on it, really good value, very ‘direct’ frame. The defy composite frame is OK but much softer feeling and very high at the front end (found myself slamming stem and flipping it and still not being very happy with it, but more comfy).

Notes of caution, chains, giant does not warranty chains no matter what your sob story is. If it has an ultegra chain on it (or any POS shimano chain) get the shop to exchange it for anything from KMC/SRAM/CONNE before its too late, am not even joking, I see at least 3 ultegra chains snap/go in the bin a week vs. KMC/SRAM ZERO in the bin (unless worn).

TiRed

That SL is truly lovely, but I’m 1) M frame (phew) 2) 4th Cat, at least until next year 3) Stayed up after a big crash last Saturday, where the rider’s bike fared less well. I have however already identified a nice 2009 model in my size and heavily reduced. Problem is I worry it won’t add much to the Aluxx SL model I ride (same group set and wheels, but 0.5-1.0 kilos lighter).

Anyway, this is what £650 of TCR looks like, and I am embarrassed to admit that it is a world of difference from my previous Ti ride, which soothes the loss somewhat.

And yes I was dying…

mudshark
    Free Member

Oops – oh well! You do have short legs then! 😉

mr_mills
    Free Member

Picture a hideously deformed freak. That’s what I look like.

The frame is a lot more compact than older ones though, with a sticky up bit of seat tube above the top tube, making the saddle look lower than it is.

davidtaylforth
    Free Member

Awesome bikes, the Rabobank ones look smart.

Was watching an old (2008 I think) frame on ebay the other day, forgot to bid. It ended up going for only £240 with forks and a snazzy seatpost. Gutted I missed it, planned on building up a light bike for hill climbing.

TiRed

I’m 5’10” too, and M or M/L both can fit depending on stem length. Mine’s a 120 mm stem, with more weight over the front wheel. I also test rode a M/L TCX, and for me it felt like a gate so went down a size.

I have normal proportions – was almost exactly average for every Bikefit statistic except shoulder width 😆 (bars are 46cm).

DT: look for an alloy frame. Nobody wants one and they are sub 1.4 kilos (less than my previous Ti bike). Not sure what you think is light, but mine is just under 8 kilos without really trying.

mudshark
    Free Member

There’s an L one on Ebay for collection from Leicester – no bids and ending soon.

davidtaylforth
    Free Member

DT: look for an alloy frame. Nobody wants one and they are sub 1.4 kilos (less than my previous Ti bike). Not sure what you think is light, but mine is just under 8 kilos without really trying.

Yeh, always tempted by cheap alloy frames. Those Planet X ones look alrite aswell. I think the carbon one I was looking at was supposed to be just under 1kg.

I dunno why, just like the look of the old TCR carbons.

wors

I bought a 2011 advanced, it’s an amazing bike. Fast, efficient, ans surprisingly comfy. Get one.

mrblobby
    Free Member

The ones in rabobank colours do look lovely, and i think years of watching rabobank giants are partly why i went for this over something italian. Though bimbling around on a replica bike is probably even worse than going out in replica team kit!

iainc

I initially went for a M/L Defy Composite, and at 5ft 10 with short legs has saddle similar to Mr Mills. Had a bike fit session though and ended up on a M with a longer stem.

Interested to hear about Composite carbon feeling ‘softer’ than Advanced – I thought it was just a bit heavier ?

mrblobby
    Free Member

Iainc, did you get much from the bike fit session? I know how I like my bike set up but that’s probably more what I’m use to rather than what’s best.

mudshark
    Free Member

Interested to hear about Composite carbon feeling ‘softer’ than Advanced – I thought it was just a bit heavier ?

Heavier and not as stiff – see this:
    http://www.winwithgiant.com/

I got confused with this though as in the Dec 2012 Cycling Plus reviews of the Spesh Venge Comp and Defy Advanced they had the Venge frame as lighter than Giant have the S-Works Venge but Giant have the Defy TCR frame was quite a bit lighter than the mag review had for the TCR – the Defy is supposed to be a little lighter.

iainc

Iainc, did you get much from the bike fit session? I know how I like my bike set up but that’s probably more what I’m use to rather than what’s best.

I guess I did, because on the Giant Website i was a M, but when I sat on them both in the shop and on a short ride, the M/L felt better. The shop commented though that there wasn’t much seatpost sticking up (probably a cm or 2 less than yours) and offered me a (free) bike fit as they thought I might be on to large a frame. An hour and a half later and after much tweaking on both bikes, the M was set up with a 10mm longer stem and various other adjustments and it’s been bang on. Interestingly though, the key measurements from the bike fit are just about the same as my Jake The Snake when in road mode, and that’s developed through trial and error

mrblobby
    Free Member

New bike time 😀

It really is lovely (the dodgy phone photo doesn’t really do it justice.) And I did succumb to the TCR Advanced 0, the self trimming Di2 front mech did it for me!

Before anyone tells me I’ve brought the wrong sized frame on account of the amount of seatpost on display, I’ve not even sat on it yet. Much faffing about with contact points will be done tonight. Also I can’t take any credit for valve and logo alignment, that was my LBS’s doing.

My past few bikes have been brought as a frame and parts so it’s a bit strange to just get a new bike that I’ve not given birth to… though I am sure there won’t be any bonding issues!

mudshark
    Free Member

Any updates on the TCR? Happy with it? I’m on the lookout for a 2nd hand alu TCR.

My Defy now:

mrblobby
    Free Member

Hi Mudshark. I’m slightly embarrassed to say I’ve not even sat on it yet. Though i do frequently eye it up and stroke it! It’s just been my winter bike and turbo bike that have been seeing action recently. If it actually dries out a bit over the next few days I’ll do some setup and take it out for an inaugural spin then report back.

Like your Defy. Took one out for a spin from the LBS for size and it was a sweet ride.

mudshark
    Free Member

Other than a few test runs I haven’t ridden mine either!

Viewing 24 posts - 41 through 64 (of 64 total)

The topic ‘Any reason not to buy a Giant TCR Advanced 1…?’ is closed to new replies.