Viewing 24 posts - 1 through 24 (of 24 total)
  • Any pretentious Retro bike owners in?
  • slimjim78
    Free Member

Well, according to the powers that be at least, you are a pretentious ‘end coveting a shit bike. So hang your heads in shame.

A nice little Room 101 section in the latest copy of STW summarises that you should actually be banished from the MTB scene altogether. Just wondering how you feel about that?

I well know that there are many ‘retro bikers’ using this forum. Heck, I used to dabble myself. Having grown up through the early 90’s, as a youngster I was always fascinated with the ever changing advances in materials and designs that meant I was theoretically going to be a better/radder/faster/sexier rider if I chose one of their newest designs (not much has changed then really has it). Trouble was, I couldn’t dream of affording the latest Manitou full suspension frame – or gorgeous Titanium GT Xizang, or new fangled Rockshox Judy XC’s with their glorious 60 odd millimetre of travel. The items I coveted back then were way out of my reach.

Much like the Jaguar E-Type or Porsche 356. They were out of my reach then. Unfortunately they remain so to this day and likely forever more. It doesn’t stop them being beautiful, nor does it stop the Jag having a woeful cooling system causing it to regularly overheat. Nor does the performance of the Porsche really match its sleek beauty.
    Yet, given a lottery style windfall would I buy one of the above and stick it in a climate controlled garage in order for me to simply stare at and marvel? Too bloody right I would.

So what’s the harm with doing the same with a bike? Can I not enjoy the nostalgia of my youth for comparative peanuts? Apparently not, for if I covet a shit old bike I am merely a pretentious fool.

I for one appreciate the odd ballers who live out their glory days through their hobby. I like to see the origins of my favourite sport from time to time, and I’m glad there are people who put value in recording/stockpiling/polishing/loving these older machines. In my opinion it’s a good old fashioned British trait, even if it could be regarded a little odd.

Disclaimer* I now ride a selection of modern Fat or long travel hard tail – I am blown away by the improvements to bikes over the last 10/15 years. It may well be crap in comparison, but I still think a polished 93 Zaskar LE is a thing of beauty.

Long live Retro Bikers.

DaveyBoyWonder
    Free Member

ST, calling others pretentious. Lol.

bearnecessities

My immediate thought too 🙂

All getting a bit Jeremy Vine around these parts lately!

firestarter
    Free Member

My most used bike is 21 years old and I love it 🙂

YoKaiser
    Free Member

The arguments presented were so far removed from the truth as to be embarrassing. Shoddy shoddy work. It’s a teeny tiny minority of bikes that aren’t ridden and they are normally not ridden to protect the rider and the bike.

falkirk-mark

Half my bikes are retrobikes (pre 1993)and the rest are full bouncers(post 2010). I like my retrobike for easier type trails I think the magazines do not like that particular niche as there is no money to be made from it as sales are pretty much all private so they do their best to discourage it.

matt_outandabout

*blows kisses*
    *offers hugs*

Its all bikes, and the room 101 article was just fun, no?

slimjim78
    Free Member

As you mention, I’ve known of bikes that would literally break if ridden due to a design fault or degrading material of some description, but instead of being scrapped they are kept for prosperity in order to preserve an example of how designers were pushing the envelope back then.

It’s easy to take for granted the advanced bikes we have on offer today, R&D was a different level back then

slimjim78
    Free Member

offers hugs*

Well. It came across a little patronising.

copa
    Free Member

Not sure what OP is going on about but I ride an old bike because it’s affordable and really easy to maintain/fix.

slimjim78
    Free Member

I thought I made it pretty clear, sorry

YoKaiser
    Free Member

I’d imagine copa hasn’t read the offending article.

beaker

Is it not a case of if you weren’t there you don’t get it? I was at school in the early nineties when I started biking. I’d read MBUK, MBI and some American mag I forget the name of now, but I’d lust after exotica that I’d never afford then and to be fair can’t now. If I could afford to now I’d have a Merlin Ti frame and Grafton brakes or a Klein Adroit in a heart beat. These are the bikes I wanted then and still do now for reasons only known to me. I know they wouldn’t be as capable as today’s bikes but that’s not the point, I want them just because.

People pay a fortune for old things. Why spend a fortune on buying an old aeroplane like a Warbird when you can buy something newer? There’s no logic to it really, but to someone it’s what makes life interesting. I don’t think pretentiousness even comes into it.

hebdencyclist
    Free Member

These are the bikes I wanted then and still do now for reasons only known to me.

Yeah – we don’t have to rationalise our bike choices – we ride what we love. The word “pretentious” gets thrown around far too much by inverted snobs who don’t really know what it means.

I guess the article was just written to provoke discussion.

I was massively fond of my 1994 Marin Bear Valley SE, but compared to modern bikes it rode like cack 🙂 If I still had it I would use it as a bridleway bimbler at best.

woffle
    Free Member

Another child of the nineties here. Bombed around on my fillet-brazed Saracen Killiflyer Comp with mates on their Konas and Marins.

I’d love a Yo Eddy or Yeti FRO. Nearly bought a lovely Pace not so long ago – we all used to drool over Syncros, Cook Bros and the rest of it back in the day. All way out of reach then and now, as the collector premium increases, it’s going the same way again.

Nothing pretentious about nostalgia. It’s why my Dad spends money on old Hornby railway modelling kit – I’m sure there’s better, newer alternatives available.

kcal

not sure definition of retro bike versus just old. I suppose some element of general love?

1995 Kilauea here – but modified for SS duties, covered > 3k miles since I’ve had it, not in pristine state but I like it and its a great, fun bike to ride..

1998 M2 Stumpie as well, very little original either, but again fun to get out and blast around on.

I suppose the retro element comes from restoring or maintaining it in pristine, as original condition – in that case, I’m out..

andytherocketeer

The 2nd most recent bike I bought, entirely from “must have” components in line with STW fashion… is now a retro bike.

DezB
    Free Member

1. It clearly says “those who collect bikes and never ride them”
    2. It is 1 person’s opinion
    3. It is a light-hearted magazine column
    (4. I agree with it)

Northwind

I have a 1990 Carrera Krakatoa. Not in concours condition though.

Pretty sure the 101 is about collecting, rather than riding and enjoying a retro bike. Meh, spend your money on whatever you like, doesn’t bother me but I feel bad for the bike,it’s like putting a musical instrument in a display case.

superstu
    Free Member

The garage queen aspect I don’t like, but each to their own.
    As someone who likes retro bikes I see the attraction. I have a 1989 tufftrax but that’s because I bought it for £30 in great condition, it makes some boring rides more fun and if I pop to the shops and leave it outside I’m not too worried about someone running off with it.

I used to frequent Retrobike a lot, and it’s a small monitory who get upset if your bikes don’t have matched period correct components!

slimjim78
    Free Member

Most old bikes get left to rot or stripped to bits and eventually binned. Many retro finds are gathered from recycling centres.
    If it wasn’t for the collectors there wouldn’t be any left to ogle in the future – I see little harm in the garage queen collection. Heck, imagine if we all just kept and rode the one bike we purchased?! Not sure the industry would appreciate that.

I agree with it

I think we pretty much unanimously agree with the sentiment that modern bikes ride much much better. But one mans light hearted jest is another’s dig in the ribs. one thing this scene isn’t short of is opinions. Granted.

bigad40
    Free Member

I’m pretentious but I broke my retro bike before it became retro!

kayla1
    Free Member

I’ve got a few (well, four, so several) 90s BMXs that are hung around the house. Pretentious? Nah, it’s just being able to afford to buy now the stuff I couldn’t afford back then. I fetch them out every now and again to give them an airing though, here’s my 1995 Fueler at Croft last Thursday (bf was doing a trackday on his CB)-

I’ve got a 2007 Commencal Absolut as well- is that retro yet?

chestrockwell

I have quite a few retro bikes, most of which I never ride. I like looking at them, it makes me happy.

Viewing 24 posts - 1 through 24 (of 24 total)

The topic ‘Any pretentious Retro bike owners in?’ is closed to new replies.