Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)
  • Any point going Shadow + with a chainguide?
  • 06awjudd
    Free Member

Is there any point? Both should in theory keep the chain running straight and with a decent amount of tension, right?
    Would it be worth spending the extra £s and getting a shadow +, or will it be a waste of time?
    I think that ZEE Shadow+ RD is the same price(ish) as a XT Shadow (non +) RD – I’m riding enduro – which one?

Thanks

muddyfunster
    Free Member

I use both, but to be honest I only run a shadow + rear mech for it’s sound reducing qualities. Clutch rear mech on it’s own is not enough on rough terrain. Chain guide on it’s own is still quite noisy, both together = total silence. Silence is golden.

06awjudd
    Free Member

Great – just checking I was buying basically the same thing twice 🙂

svalgis
    Free Member

Definitely worth it to get a clutch derailleur (and use a chain guide with it, but you’ll get away with a simple upper guide if it’s a HT). If you run 1×10, get the Zee.

geetee1972
    Free Member

I use both, but to be honest I only run a shadow + rear mech for it’s sound reducing qualities.

Same here.

iain1775
    Free Member

I’ve done Antur on my Commencal meta AM with just a clutch mech (xt) and front derailler (2×10)
    After initial technical issues with a jockey wheel the chain never came off
    Can’t imagine you would need more if 2 ring, if 1×10 then just a top guide

06awjudd
    Free Member

If I had a full chainguide, would it be worth running the chain through the jockey wheel, or not bothering?

shindiggy
    Free Member

Run a top chain guide (superstar guide) and zee rear mech, silent and no chain drop.

Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)

The topic ‘Any point going Shadow + with a chainguide?’ is closed to new replies.