Home Forums Chat Forum any old skool windsurfers out there ?

Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 65 total)
  • any old skool windsurfers out there ?
  • mrmoofo
    Free Member

I’m getting back into the sport after 26 years off …
    I would like to get a mistral equipe / fanatic mega cat/ f2 lightning ….
    These will be from arming 1990- 1994 …

Don’t suppose anyone has one that they want to sell?

aracer
    Free Member

Why on earth would you want one of those rather than something modern and a lot better?

sharkbait
    Free Member

I’ve got two Mistral Screamer IIs here, one is mine and the other belongs to a mate and is in better nick than mine ….. I could ask if you want (I’m keeping mine as I’ve ‘only’ been out of it for 17 years!)?

mrmoofo
    Free Member

I have bought something more modern / better ….
    But it’s part of my youf ,,,,,,
    I liked long boards

iainc

Even older than that here :-) Was sponsored by Mistral/Gul/Vit Sea early 80’s. not been on a board in over 30 yrs…

mrmoofo
    Free Member

Ianc – you win :lol:

iainc

:D

Aye, proper early days stuff, sailing with folks like Lester Noble and Roger Tushingham before Orange Bikes was even thought of !

Wally

HiFly300 with a very floppy Neil Pryde sail is my summer old skool board.

mrmoofo
    Free Member

I knew Lester and Roger through being at Leeds Uni. They supplied our sails and harnesses …
    In this etc days they were very ordinary – we used to call in for a cup of tea to Blubberhouses

iainc

^^^ my sponsorship was through a Glasgow based shop, did a bit of trialling of new sails for Roger around 1985 I think. Weird thinking back !

My claim to fame was me and a mate were first people to windsurf on Tiree !

bikebouy
    Free Member

Does lester still sail an Int Canoe ? He was a member of my sailing club, painted the thing Orange for some strange reason :lol:

Other than that, boards of that heritage are few and far between these days, most will be in the overgrown garden or long since binned. Second hand market does seem buoyant for good condition stuff but it’s hard to come by. We used to have a very large board sale down here, but no one would bring along 90’s kit because it just wasn’t wanted.

Only place I’d say looking I’d eBay or gumtree..

BOL.

chrisdw
    Free Member

I have a fanatic snake 335

Got all the sail and mast too. Never used it. It came from gf’s family somewhere.

I don’t know anything about windsurfing!

sharkbait
    Free Member

Roger Tushingham is into paddleboards now, apparently Red paddleboards is his.

I used to rep for HyJumpers, Lightwave and Sola back in the late 80’s!

bikebouy
    Free Member

He’s also closed down Tushingham sails, not sold off, just closed.

It was John Hibbard that brought Starboard Paddleboards into the UK, him and Roger saw the opportunity and Red was the result.

russyh
    Free Member

Does lester still sail an Int Canoe ? He was a member of my sailing club, painted the thing Orange for some strange reason

He sails at Ullswater sc in a 49er and has done for a few years I believe, previously with his brother now another chap. Very, very quick in a boat as well. He owns an IC which he has leant to my friend to use for a year.

bikebouy
    Free Member

That’s cool, he’s always been quick. Glad he’s still sailing. Cheers.

bentandbroken

not as old as you are looking for, but there was a perfect condition F2 Ride (including original footstraps) at the local dump yesterday. I aspired to be good enough to sail one when they were released…

headfirst
    Free Member

Windsurfing stuff for sale or wanted is a Facebook group I’ve been a member of for a while,it’s definitely worth joining.
    In particular a fellow called Mark Gogehan has a business buying and selling second hand gear on it, he’d be able to sort you out. I’ve bought various things on the group all with no issues.

EDIT I’ve just remembered I’ve got a Bic Lambada in the garage that hasn’t been out of its bag for over ten years. Bought for my wife to learn and progress on. Got about 6 uses. :| It’s yours for free if you can collect it from Huddersfield

mrmoofo
    Free Member

Headfirst,
    Thanks … I will go take a look …
    Re Mark Gohegan – he was here on Wednesday ! :D

eddiebaby
    Free Member

I started windsurfing in ’75 on an original Ten Cate Windsurfer (with the floppy orange mast) that I bought from Dee Caldwell (before he got commercially involved in the sport). I very rapidly gave up dinghy sailing. Had a windsurfing school a couple of years later.

windydave13
    Free Member

Boardwise Cannock have loads of old school boards in their used boards selection. Some classics in there for very little money.

I have an old Fanatic Bee in the shed from my uni days. I hate to think how aweful it was to sail compared to my newer JP and Starboard kit

mrmoofo
    Free Member

I fully agree that newer shorter boards and the sails and masts to suit will be much better …
    It’s just that I would quite like one of the old 370-390 high volume longboards.

I actually have a f2 lighting from about 1987 … which is ding free etc, but i just fancied an equipe or Mega cat or the lightning race ….
    Unlike some the shorter boards that have been superseded – the longboards can go like stink – esp with modern 7.5 plus rigs ….

BigJohn

Yup, Boardwise has a back yard full of vintage stuff. Not all on the website. I’m sure I saw an F2 Lightning there a couple of months ago and a Mistral Equipe. They sometimes take a couple down to Chasewater on a Thursday evening for retro fun.

Is that a Fanatic in the background?

Worth giving them a call on 01543 505084

Rorschach
    Free Member

I’m old and I sometimes went to school but I’m not sure I’m oldschool. Especially seeing as I have a garage full of SimmerStyle wave kit to play with.Can usually be found at Rhosneigr and various spots on the welsh coast when conditions conspire to provide decent waves and some wind.

mrmoofo
    Free Member

Yup – that looks like a F2 Lightning…
    In second look, its a fanatic

matt_outandabout

Aye, proper early days stuff, sailing with folks like Lester Noble and Roger Tushingham before Orange Bikes was even thought of !

*raises eyebrow*
    I used to get cheap sails out of Lester from Orange Sails for the Tempest, back in the day.
    He leant me one of these new fangled Orange Prestige ATB bikes one windless day and we went for a jaunt up the side of Ullswater to High Street…. 8) …I was owner of mountain bike within 8 weeks, purely to get around at uni you understand….

coolhandluke
    Free Member

I had a Bic Show..with an F2 boom, 4.2m storm sail, no dagger board

It was 3m long not a sinker though. I learned on it instead of buying a beginners board and although it took me ages it did me for a good few years.
    Image of one, not mine.

mikertroid
    Free Member

I also had a Bee-went well in a straight line!!

Still dabble but want to do more. Great sport!

Was talking to a fellow windsurfer last week about getting a Fanatic Cat for long range missions (channel hopefully).

ampthill

Why on earth would you want one of those rather than something modern and a lot better?

I assume the answer is displacement sailing

Loads of stuff on ebay. I was very tempted to buy a Mistral Equipe having tried windurfing again over the last few years.

bikebouy
    Free Member

Ohh, old sckool daggerboard boards are very very quick.

We hold a Round Hayling windsurf race every year (May BH) and the old school daggerboard boards are always in the top 20%, right course and they’re hard to beat, even with new school gear.

Daggerboard down, pin it on its rail and sail upwind like it’s gone out of fashion, awesome.

mrmoofo
    Free Member

Ohh, old sckool daggerboard boards are very very quick.

We hold a Round Hayling windsurf race every year (May BH) and the old school daggerboard boards are always in the top 20%, right course and they’re hard to beat, even with new school gear.

Daggerboard down, pin it on its rail and sail upwind like it’s gone out of fashion, awesome.

About that …. :-)

leffeboy

Daggerboards I understood. Its just to confusing to work out without one
    Although it clearly still works. Ill need to go look this up now

windydave13
    Free Member

I learnt all the way up to planing on a Bic Regae. I still remember the day my Dad told me it was time to start using a harness. Many catapults ensued especially with small feet and no padding in the foot straps. My Bic Veloce 298 after that felt like a rocket ship at the time.

mrmoofo
    Free Member

I started on the original windsurfer, bought and red a sea panther ( bet no-one knows what that is)
    Then moved to a Vmax, a chapter 295 ( which fell apart as you looked at it).
    Then and ex Steve ? racing custom made Sailboard that he won the British championships on, the lightning I currently have, a bic astro rock, and the an F2 lightning race (in 1990).

Stopped as I was living in Buckingham!!

jezzep

I have a mint mistral screamer aka 1992 it’s bgreat but you needs lots of wind. My RRD short board sorry have to say better and easier to sail. I did start windsurfing in 1983 but to be honest rose tinted glasses are not always a good thing. Ebay a cheap 90’s classic but keep a modern one in the cupboard.

JeZ

mrmoofo
    Free Member

jazzep
    thanks – but looking for a long board for light winds …
    I have a short board for windy ones

eddiebaby
    Free Member

Oh I know all about the Sea Panther with the appalling rectangular boom in an attempt to get around the patent.

whatgoesup

Mega cat with full rig on ebay here

Long race boards are great fun – my sister used to race IMCO’s – a slightly heavier Equipe so there were always a couple around. In a blow they can certainly move – with some courage to hold that big old sail down it was quite possible to overtake the odd short board, much to their bemusement.

kentishman
    Free Member

Newer stuff is so much better. See if you can find a Kona one a top longboard. I use it most weeks in the warmer weather. Its wave boards only this time of year.
    Then try some of this. And don’t forget to rail ride.

mrmoofo
    Free Member

Thanks – I’ve seen that mega cat … but it looks like it has been dropped from an aircraft

Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 65 total)

The topic ‘any old skool windsurfers out there ?’ is closed to new replies.