Viewing 20 posts - 1 through 20 (of 20 total)
  • Any Leicestershire riders?
  • SigmaF
    Free Member

We’re about to move to a place called Broughton Astley – south Leicester area.

I suspect that it’s going to be quite flat!…..but hopefully of something to go at.

Anybody on here ride in this part of the world?

Cheers,

Frankers
    Free Member

Yes I’m not to far away.

Some routes nearby… Croft, Sapcote, Stoney Stanton

But they are all flat, boring and rubbish in the Winter.

BillOddie

There is better riding to the North of Leicester in the gap between Leicester and Loughborough.

funkybaj
    Free Member

As above, it’s pretty garbage.

I too loop together some bridalways that go around Stoney Stanton, Croft and Sharnford. You can play on Croft Hill half-way round although the rest is ploughing through fields really.

45 minute drive to Cannock for anything more interesting.

franfloydjuka

South East Leicestershire is’nt too bad. Plenty of bridal ways and some ridable FP’s….between Leicester and Mkt Harborough..
    as mentioned above though – can be very muddy through winter – so careful route choice is wise…
    Some great little back lanes and field roads in Rutland as well – perfect area for single speedin’ and cross bikes…

sweaman2
    Free Member

Some good road riding though.

franfloydjuka

Get some O/S maps and plan some routes while it’s drying out..
    You’ll probably have to mix a bit of road/track/BW/FP to link up some routes and because it’s flat you’ll end up getting plenty off miles in.
    we are not blessed with great trails in this neck off the woods, but be a bit creative and go explore…

SigmaF
    Free Member

Thanks all…..

Certainly not averse to some exploration….

I guess I’m thinking local evening mid-week evening rides until the light comes back, at which point will probably look to head to Cannock in the evenings.

Sounds like the Stoney Stanton, Croft and Sharnford loop is the first port of call…..

funkybaj
    Free Member

http://www.mapmyrun.com/routes/view/66684194

That’s one I do every now and then, mostly offroad but divert up Croft Hill when you get there.

mattzzzzzz
    Free Member

Become a roadie, it’s suits Leicester better

asterix
    Free Member

plenty of clubs not too far from there:

Welland Valley CC

Rockingham Forest

Wakerley Wheelers

spesh
    Free Member

I live just down the road in Narborough. I can do a 8 mile loop pretty much from my door which is about 90% off-road. As has been said before, it’s fairly flat so no need for a full-on downhill rig (I usually ride a rigid SS or Cross bike locally) but Croft Hill is a welcome change in gradient. There’s also a few interesting little bits round by Stoney Cove.

umop3pisdn
    Free Member

I came to Leicester a mountainbiker, I’m now a road biker… make of that what you will.

Best club in the area 😉

rock500
    Free Member

Hicks Lodge at Ashby is ok if you want some single track, about 1/2 hour a way, but only a blue. Linky other than that its Sherwood Pines or Cannock 🙁

mattzzzzzz
    Free Member

umop3pisdn- so is my mate, became a roadie and is now treasurer of LFCC
    Good club by all accounts

Ladders
    Free Member

Yes Leicestershires pretty flat and not that great for MTBing. I fell out of love with it a bit living there, but then rediscovered it again with the Surrey hills here.

Cannock is good, but a bit of a drive. Swinley Forest not to far either. Bit bumpier N Leicsetrshire. I should imagine in these days of strava etc that it will be much easier to find routes and put them together.

Western Park BMX track was always good for a laugh, if its still there!!

PiknMix
    Free Member

Western park has been redone and is a laugh.
    Swithland woods is where it’s at in N Leicester, Bradgate Park early mornings\late evenings. There’s also really good steer riding if your so inclined.

SigmaF
    Free Member

Well, we’ve finally moved to the village!

Are any of you chaps riding out in the evenings?

I’d be keen to meet up and explore the local area….however flat!

franfloydjuka

Yes – we ride a couple of times through the week and most saturdays..
    Mainly around the south of the county and we do have a pal who lives out your way…
    pop an e-mail to me floyd3216@gmail.com if you want to meet up??

Frankers
    Free Member

I’d be happy to meet up with you, and show you some local bits

I live in Hinckley

nsfweb at me dot com

Viewing 20 posts - 1 through 20 (of 20 total)

The topic ‘Any Leicestershire riders?’ is closed to new replies.