• This topic has 14 replies, 11 voices, and was last updated 1 year ago by Drac.
Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 15 total)
  • Any “key workers” sending their kids to school after they close today?
  • Premier Icon GrahamS

So apparently the plan is that schools are staying open for 2 million children of “key workers”

https://www.thetimes.co.uk/article/coronavirus-schools-stay-open-for-2m-children-from-key-worker-families-df38fv3sk

Locally our school trust is saying you are only elligible if BOTH parents are key workers, which seems to differ from the official line.

The word locally is also that the school won’t be offering formal education and it will be more like childcare.

Does that match up with what other schools are saying? What’s the general feeling about this?

Premier Icon PJM1974
    Free Member

I am scheduled to start a new job on the 6th April for a large, food storage and distribution business, so I assume that I will be a key worker.

I’ve texted my stepsons to tell them that because of this, they will be expected to attend school. They’re not amused, as they’re both twenty-two.

Premier Icon duckman

As a teacher, we are taking children of essential workers and looked after kids. There will be no formal following of timetable, but we will be providing proper work for pupils who will be sitting exams in 2021. The both parents bit is completely up in the air.

Premier Icon vinnyeh

I understood it’s only if there’s two key workers, but we’re told to check via govt link. School will provide access to online learning only, ie similar to childcare.
    We received:

Dear Parents & Carers

We know this is such a worrying time for all of you and your families. RPS stands with you at this challenging time. Following the recent government request for schools to provide supervision for students whose parents are currently defined as key workers, we need your help in identifying if you fall into this category and whether you will require a place in school for your son/daughter from Monday 23rd onward.

The current advice from the government is that students should only attend an educational setting if they absolutely need to, so if there is a provision to care for them at home already then they should not be sent into school.

At this stage we are able to provide a supervised space for learning where your child will be able to access and complete the work that has been provided by their classroom teachers. We will not be delivering lessons or particular activities outside of this. Uniform will not be required but please ensure they are dressed sensibly for the day. Trainers or footwear for the 3G pitch may also be useful. Your child will also need a packed lunch.

The most recent list of key workers published by the government can be found here: https://www.gov.uk/government/publications/coronavirus-covid-19-maintaining-educational-provision/guidance-for-schools-colleges-and-local-authorities-on-maintaining-educational-provision

If you are unsure if this applies to you then please ask your employer as soon as possible.

In order for us to plan ahead, it would greatly help us if you could complete this survey as soon as you possibly can:

Premier Icon miketually
    Free Member

My wife and I are both teachers, so eligible. However, our kids are 14 and 16 so are absolutely fine at home on their own so we’ll not be taking up the offer.

My wife will be in work as part of the rota of volunteers for her primary school, though we don’t know how many days a week that will be.

I teach in a sixth form College so we’re only expecting minimal numbers of students. I also have asthma, so shouldn’t really volunteer to go in. So, I’m working at home setting work for students and checking up on my kids to make sure they’re doing what they need to do.

Word on the street is that schools will be open every weekday, including through the holidays, from now until Christmas

Premier Icon miketually
    Free Member

This is the key bit:

students should only attend an educational setting if they absolutely need to

Premier Icon Tallpaul

My Wife is a Key Worker. It’s a moral dilemma whether to use it or not. The DfE advice is very heavily pressing the point that using this option should be only in essential cases.

We are waiting to hear if the School & Nursery that our Children attend will be able to offer places (i.e. have sufficient demand and ability to staff) before making a final decision.

Premier Icon MoreCashThanDash

Found out this morning I’m a key worker – bit of a surprise for my (civil service) bosses who have taken no interest since our agencies merged 10 years ago!

16 year olds college is open 9-12. 13 year old could go to school if the school buses were running.

Think they’ll be at home, wife has a laptop, I’m fighting to get one!

Premier Icon Tallpaul

The Government have clarified that only one parent/carer needs to be a key worker. There was a lot of confusion about this yesterday but the policy is now published.

Premier Icon sc-xc

We are both key workers (social services/NHS). I will work from home rather than send my Y6 daughter in. I am the Chair of Governors for her school so in regular contact with the Head, who acknowledges it will be little more than childcare.

It only needs to be one parent.

Premier Icon GrahamS

My wife is a consultant, so qualifies as a “key worker”, but she is normally part time (by NHS standards) so she can handle the bulk of the childcare while I work.

We could cope okay at home, but we are trying to figure out the best options. If the kids stay at school and continue some education then that sounds good. But if it is just essentially childcare then there doesn’t seem much point burdening the school with it.

Also if it is only being offered where both parents are key workers then we’re out anyway.

Premier Icon dantsw13
    Free Member

Apparently a pilot is a key worker. Seeing as I’m expecting too fly very little, my wife is wfh, and our schools have set up remote lessons, my kids are staying at home.

Premier Icon Spud

Key worker here too, PHE in a response role, so once I’m out of isolation I’ll be working either home or in the office. My wife works at home so the sensible approach is keep our two at home, school will be setting them work online anyway so they’ll do that. No point unless absolutely necessary over-burdening the system for those that it is critical.

Premier Icon Drac

I was going to send our youngest as it will be only next week for the next 5 weeks but we’ve now changed our mind as our eldest can look after her.

Premier Icon Drac

You know what.

Sorry Graham but we have a school thread just trying to slow the amount of covid post.

https://singletrackworld.com/forum/topic/any-key-workers-sending-their-kids-to-school-after-they-close-today/

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 15 total)

The topic ‘Any “key workers” sending their kids to school after they close today?’ is closed to new replies.