Viewing 17 posts - 1 through 17 (of 17 total)
  • Any House Alarm experts in ??
  • carlos
    Free Member

Moving house next week and it hasn't got an alarm, looking at getting a Yale wireless system as don't want the mess of an install really. I'd add a couple of extra bits to enable the coverage I want and a couple of smoke detectors the total comes to 350 quid.
    Thing is I'm not sure if I'd be better off getting a wired system and having it fitted rather than the Yale and DIY.

What do you think?

carlos
    Free Member

Nobody??

bassman
    Free Member

Go for wireless if you want but use a visonic powermax system.High spec and the kits come with 2 Pir's door contact external sounder and two key fobs about 3 years on the batteries plenty of other bits to add to and it is preprogrammed.
    It will take you about an hour with it on the table to get used to the texting of the zones but once you have done acouple it is easy,
    Try ADI-Gardiner for them or any decent alarm wholesaler.
    yale at lower end of specification and have been prone to external interference.

flatfish
    Free Member

Wireless are rubbish, had to got to so many customers houses to rip out a wireless system to allow a hard wired system to be fitted. Key fobs are pants too, if you go on holiday with the mrs and she takes her keys too nobody can get in to water the plants etc unless you pay for more fobs, a number code is so much easier.
    Hard wired can also have a CCTV system added to it, it can call you on your mobile if activated and adding stuff later is almost always compatible.
    My parent were advised by their buliders after the '05 floods in Carlisle to have a wireless setup, it died within the first month and still doesn't work. I'd warned them but apparently Shonky builders know more about alarms than somebody who owns a security business.

bassman
    Free Member

Flatfish
    There are some places you are not allowed to run cables and they have wireless alarms fire and intruder they come with built in communicators in the panel which are mains fed.(Iffsec next month at the NEC)
    National trust property now they are big houses.
    Also if someone goes on holiday with the fobs and no keyholder arranged they are not very well organised.wireless is not just used in domestic premises it is up to the end user.I have been in the game for many years and accept it is all Gov type of property now that I am involved in.
    As stated not all wirless are rubbish and it is down to the installation.
    G3 systems are supposed to be keyfob set unset to stop keyholder error.

carlos
    Free Member

Looks like I'm going to have to call a few installers/alarm companies in the area as the Mrs has decided a hard wired one is now the better option. Tsk.
    Thanks for the replies though and still open to advice

GrahamS

Hijack: don't suppose any experts could tell me how to reset the alarm code on a Gardtec 500 Series ?

We've had one, unset, for 3 years since we moved in. Previous owner didn't know the code either!

neilb67
    Free Member
    GrahamS

Thanks neilb67, but sadly that manual says I need the old alarm code to be able to change it!

hitman
    Free Member

bassman
    I'm interested in this as well – for a 3 bed house would you just go for the standard kit as described here?

http://www.powermax-alarm.co.uk/product.php?id_product=29&gclid=CKDDvLq57aACFQ-Y2AodkW1DOQ

carlos
    Free Member

Graham S – did you notice the telephone number at the bottom of the last page of the link? Maybe worth giving them a call??

bassman
    Free Member

Hitman
    Visonic range as private jobs and not had a problem.these are installed in cottages away from the main house and next to a busy road no probs so far.
    Also do you have pets as the comany advertising the unit you are after it may be worth asking them to supply another Pir and program it into the control unit before sending out.
    for a 3 bed I would advise you try to get a catalogue with all the bits in it.
    It is down to individual choice.

hitman
    Free Member

cheers bassman

stof41
    Free Member

speaking from experience id go for wired everytime unless you have bare wooden floors upstairs, if youve got carpet upstairs any good installer can hide all cables. Ive fitted wired systems for 18 years and there still working fine, i doubt the wireless stuff will keep working for nowhere near as long without being touched. wired can take a little longer to fit but once fitted problems are few and far between.

bassman
    Free Member

18 years still a sprog will be 36yrs this year and worked in some funny sites and all types of security systems and in all conditions.
    Still in the game but progressed started on domestic then shops then commercial now allsorts of Goverment projects.
    The original question was to use a yale system and I dont advise it,also it will cost a lot more for a wired system than £350.00.
    Questions is it to reduce insurance if so it will have to be installed and maintained by an approved company.
    Doesnt state what type of hous/mansion he is moving into.
    If I had to do my house again I would be willing to use a decent wireless system.As carpet fitters love cutting through my wiring.
    Horses for courses.

carlos
    Free Member

Bassman – I know it'll be more for a wired system, it's not for lower insurance,3 bed semi with garage on side. Looking at 3 door points, 3 pir's, 2 smoke detectors. I'll have a propper look at the visonic powermax you mentioned above.

Any other tips/pointers?

Carl

bassman
    Free Member

Carl
    Contact the local fire station where you are moving to and ask them for a home risk assesment, they will probaly fit two new smoke detectors for free for you as they now come with 10 year batterys installed and are not removable.
    Always read the instructions and check if in doubt read again.

Viewing 17 posts - 1 through 17 (of 17 total)

The topic ‘Any House Alarm experts in ??’ is closed to new replies.