• This topic has 11 replies, 9 voices, and was last updated 11 years ago by br.
Viewing 12 posts - 1 through 12 (of 12 total)
  • Any experiences with the Mk 7 Exposure Joystick
  • roverpig

Hi All,

I’ve got an ageing Lumicycle HID lamp (from my road riding days), which I’ll stick on the bars (until it dies) but am thinking of supplementing this with a helmet mounted light. I don’t fancy the idea of cables for a helmet light and am drawn to the Exposure Joystick (with the Mk 7 version quoted at 400 lumens). To be honest the main appeal is that it looks as though I could also use it to charge my phone when travelling and for taking the dog out in the dark. But is it any good as a helmet mounted light for off road use. I’ll be riding on my own (if that’s relevant) in properly dark Scottish forests.

Cheers,

Andy

roverpig

Is that a tumbleweed I see rolling past.

A bit more searching suggests that the SPT+ socket won’t charge an iPhone (even with the boost cable). So, I guess the joystick is no better (for me) than any other small, light, bright torch with a helmet mount.

Cheers

Andy

lucien

I love my joystick (not sure which model)…however on it’s own it’s not enough for riding. The beam is very long / narrow – exactly what you need from a headtorch. On the bars, it would be grim as it’s a headtorch. It lasts well, can switch between bright and non-bright with gloves on and it’s easy to get on / off. Not sure what else to add…..

Northwind

Like all the joysticks, it’s an expensive, pretty, crippled torch. Their brackets are ace though- I got an older Joystick bracket from a friend and fitted a cheapo Dealextreme torch to it, and it’s not just brighter than a Joystick, it’s also got easily changed batteries. Not as small though.

oxym0r0n

Expensive but I love my M7 joystick – fine for off-road rides on the helmet on its own until it gets properly dark (on a clear night). Mount is great. I use it as a commuter light on the bars too.

Lasts a long time if you switch between modes, easily rechargeable with USB.

Buy cheap…

EDIT after my petzl backup headtorch corroded after less than a year I think I might just get a headband for my joystick to use off the bike…

pobaker
    Free Member

Just bought a mk7 and use it along with a magicshine light on the bars. Joystick is almost as bright (ms ‘claims’ 1600 lumens) but a much narrower beam. Great combo, but need my bar mount for the spread of beam it gives.

roverpig

Thanks.

Those that bought them seem to like the, I guess that’s the case with most things, but still useful feedback and they are sort of British, which is worth a fair bit to me. Pity it can’t charge my iphone/ipad. That would have been cool, even if I wouldn’t use the feature much in practice. Still, I’ll probably give one a try.

Cheers,

Andy

iainc

I have a 300 one – mk5 I think. Great wee helmet light and I use a maxx d on the bars. Joystick also good as a bar light on road bike.

transapp
    Free Member

I’m the same as iainc above, the joystick is very good and in a small spot, brighter than the 900 maxx d on my bars. I wouldn’t just have the joystick, but works ace in combo

Teetosugars
    Free Member

Joystick Helmet
    MaxXD bars

Near perfect combo IMHO…

Only a Diablo on te helmet would improve the set up..

roverpig

Surely it should be a Reflex on the bars. Ten percent more lumens innit.

Diablo is brighter than joystick, but bigger, heavier and half the burn time, so not sure that’s a trade off I’d be happy with.

Thanks for all the feedback though.

Cheers,

Andy

br
    Free Member

I added a piggyback battery to mine (zip-tied to helmet), barely any increase in weight but double burn-time so able to leave it on full power all the time.

Viewing 12 posts - 1 through 12 (of 12 total)

The topic ‘Any experiences with the Mk 7 Exposure Joystick’ is closed to new replies.