Viewing 14 posts - 1 through 14 (of 14 total)
  • Any car bodywork people on here – need a rough price
  • sharkbait
    Free Member

I'm thinking of buying a Golf from a mate which has a little bit of bodywork damage that i'd want to have fixed. I thought it could be done by someone like Dentmaster (or whoever) but the people I emailed said it was too much for them.
    Damage consists of two dents/scratches around a rear wheel arch and a couple of scratches on the door in front of the wheel. There's also what looks like some scuffing to the clearcoat over a front wing which 'may' buff out. Anyway here's a couple of pics of the damage (and can supply bigger if required):

What do you think would be required and a guideline cost.

Cheers.

squin
    Free Member

I'm not in that game, but I crushed the rear wing on a post so had it sorted/resprayed etc, plus the front valance was split so needed plastic welding(?) and respraying. In total it came to £175 which given the extent of the work (far worse than your pics) I thought was good.

If you're in the NW, I got it done at a place in Warrington and would recommend them.

sharkbait
    Free Member

Hi Squin. Wow…… seems cheap. As it happens I'm in Chester so Warrington is no problem.

woodsman
    Free Member

£600

pinches
    Free Member

without seeing it in the flesh, i'd estimate £200-£250 including materials etc.

its hard to tell weather the scratches in the door have gone through or not? If i were you i'd buy yourself some Farecla G3 compound and give it a buff see what comes out (just don't go too far)

woodsman
    Free Member

pinches – how can you do that for 2-250 inc materials!

There's a 100 quid's worth of materials alone there; paint wing and door, remove door handle, mouldings, blend paint through the sill. I'd be making a basic living at 600! And I haven't even factored in the front wing mark!

http://www.peterflynnclassiccars.com

Let us know hoe much it does cost in the end – I'll eat my hat if it's nearer the other two guesses than mine?

squin
    Free Member

Brilliant Bodyshop Warrington.

Sharkbait, here's the link. Bloke that owns it is called Jim. They might charge by panel in which case, I had 2 where-as you have 3 panels, so don't get too excited, but I'd highly recommend the above. Give him a call and then drop by and he'll give you a price there and then.

Stu.

coffeeking
    Free Member

£600, GTFOOH!

I was quoted 300 to repair a crushed and rusting rear quarter panel and 3 spots of rust under the mounts for a spoiler, including cutting it back, welding in a partch on the arch and blending it out into the surrounding panels, by a guy locally that does work for the local Porsche outlet as well as normal people.

woodsman
    Free Member

coffeeking – that's the same repair then, how silly of me you're so right, go play with your robotics!

FWIW – I bet it will end up at near my estimate with the materials and vat – the end price at any proper bodyshop.

pinches
    Free Member

i was going to say, £600 wtf. what are you painting it with, gold?

i doubt that front wing needs painting at all. my guesstimate was obviously, plus vat.

coffeeking
    Free Member

woodsman – I'll post images of those too if you like, makes the above look like a stone chip 😉

Are you telling me it would cost less to:

Cut back, weld (and create a section of inner wing that has rusted away from the join), fill, spray the rear arch (quarter panel is apparently no longer available, and there are no aftermarket replacements made), removing the door trim and petrol flap, blending into door, sill and back bumper and…

Remove the spoiler (remove all inner panels too obviously), cut out weld and finish the mount points, then blend across the boot lid and both rear quarters? (thats the job I was quoted for, I can't be sure he was including everything etc)…

Than it would to deal with those minor dents and scratches?

Guess I have vastly underestimated the complexity of the work required on the OP's car! Though I will concede it is only a non-clear-coated white car so a bit cheaper in materials in that respect, but I'd have assumed the extra welding and filling would have more than accounted for that.

If I send you photos will you offer me a competitive price? 😀 Maybe the chap makes his cash by over-charging on the Porshce repairs.

sharkbait
    Free Member

Pinches – thanks for the reminder on the Farecla G3, I've got some left over from a dinghy project, might do the job on that front wing.

Woodsman – I'm sure you do a fantastic job, but I see you work on classic cars….. does that affect the pricing? 😉

Squin – cheers for that I'll check them out.

Obviously when it comes to the negotiations I'll be using Woodsmans' price 🙂

Del

chipsaway. used to be 40 quid/panel + vat. might be more now. they did some work on my tvr. as the owner, and being well accustomed to polishing the beggar, i can say i could see where the repair was, but if you didn't know the car you'd not notice. for the money it's a no-brainer.
    they'll come and quote for free, and have a satisfaction guarantee.

sharkbait
    Free Member

It was chipsaway who said it was too big a job for them.

Viewing 14 posts - 1 through 14 (of 14 total)

The topic ‘Any car bodywork people on here – need a rough price’ is closed to new replies.

RAFFLE ENDS FRIDAY 8PM