Viewing 21 posts - 1 through 21 (of 21 total)
  • Any beekeepers in?
  • cheeezzy24
    Free Member

Does a hive need any sort of insulation for the winter. They are all fed and the hives are nice and heavy but do I need to do anything else. This is all new to me!

mjsmke

What kind of hive is it?

My top bar hives were fine over winter and only needed a little repair work to the roofs one year. On my national hive with a flat roof I use to put a sheet of acrylic on the roof to keep any rain/snow from sitting and freezing.

Entrances were reduced slightly to help reduce the risk of mice getting in.

BigButSlimmerBloke
    Free Member

As long as it’s sheltered it should be fine, they’ll keep themselves warm but remember to feed them (you stole all their food to put on your toast)

cdoc
    Free Member

No idea, but my dad had a few many years back. I don’t remember any winter insulation for the whole hive, but a thick sheet of polystyrene and waterproof cover on the crown board were the norm.We used to warm our hands on the hives during winter and they really kicked out some heat! If they are properly strong and  well fed they don’t seem to have any issues controlling their environment. I think that winter starvation was the real risk, rather than the cold itself.

martinhutch

We used to warm our hands on the hives during winter and they really kicked out some heat!

Wonder if you could heat a house using a few strategically placed hives? Could be the ultimate eco-friendly heating solution!

cheeezzy24
    Free Member

I’ve got a National and a modified Dadant. I’ll be reducing the entrance when they slow up, still really busy at the moment collecting lots of pollen. Was thinking about putting an inch of polystyrene under the roof. Will do some more research. STWer’s always have some good advice,thanks chaps.

yeha
    Free Member

I put some kingspan under the roof. There’s a cutout in it so I can add a feeder but to do this requires an eek. I also put the super underneath so they lay in the brood box if I don’t get to them in the new year.

Ewan
    Free Member

We don’t with ours – seems fine. The bees cuddle together for warmth in the winter don’t they?

Marin
    Free Member

Mines polystyrene and fine for overwintering. Winter is so rubbish now though they have never properly hibernated or their version of it. Make sure they have supplies for feeding.

andrewh
    Free Member

Also got a polystyrene one which is fine over winter providing they have enough food.
    The top bar hive didn’t stay warm enough for a Scottish winter, presumably better down soith

Marin
    Free Member

YEp you still get better winters andrewh. I gave my bees up after being stung a couple of years into doing it and going into anaphylactic shock. About 18 months left on an anti allergy course then back to it. Suit is bagged up and waiting for me.

Marin
    Free Member

And also blocked up most of the entrance and put fondant in for winter feeding. Also top box full of insulation. Forgot about those bits.

andypaul
    Free Member

No, the bees will maintain the temprature in the hive over winter themselves.
    As long as the hive is half decent you will be fine.
    We have a hive and in the winter it can up to -20 some nights.
    That said last winter we did loose a few thousand but it was due to disease ( parasites) rather than the cold, so said an expert.

P20

We visited the RHS gardens and I noticed they did bee 🐝 keeping taster courses. Really tempted and I’m now reading this thread and I’m envious!

Marin
    Free Member

Thoroughly recommend going on a course, there is a lot to learn if you want to do it successfully and not kill your colony off. Whilst they are incredibly clever you are in effect their landlord and need to look after them.

pondo

Also tempted – not too bothered about the honey, I just like having them around. 🙂 Had loads of solutary bees in our bee boxes a couple of years ago, far less in them now… 🙁

tom7044

For us in Scotland have found we do need insulation to help out in snow and wind particularly for weaker hives.
    We did try the insulated hive covers initially but found that got damp underneath so would not recommend. Last winter tried using the cork insulation from Thorne. This has blocks to fit in the outer recesses of a national hive and replaces the two outermost frames with insulation. Seems to work well as insulation and avoid the condensation issues of a complete cover. one hive did have a bit of a nibble on the insulation in the frames the others left it alone.
    https://www.thorne.co.uk/index.php?route=product/product&product_id=8022&gclid=Cj0KCQjw0IDtBRC6ARIsAIA5gWvIhjrakLRhhbQxZAzcXRF-s-RRBJIbokr1H1FapNzeYGAz_a1yS10aAl7XEALw_wcB

cheeezzy24
    Free Member

Thanks for the tips guys. I went straight in at the deep end without knowing the first thing about bees and bought a full setup from a guy that was moving house. Hive,bees,tools,2 suits,spares and an extractor. Moved the hive 40miles, day 2 it swarmed! Caught them and put in an empty hive I managed to find locally. Day 2, swarmed again!! Wtf!! Caught them and my allotment neighbour got a hive and had them.. checked the hive as it was bloody heavy to find it full to bursting with rapeseed honey(it crystalizes so needs removing) first time extracting and I made a proper mess,honey over everything but I got 44 jars.
    Roll on a few months and after a visit from the bee inspector all colonies are doing great. I harvested 1/3 of the frames and got another 24 jars. Made sure I left some for winter and they’ve all been fed.
    It’s been interesting summer watching and learning all about beekeeping. Knew nothing about bees and I cant believe how much there is to learn or how busy they are, absolutely flat out when theres food about.
    If you are thinking about taking it up I can highly recommend it.

cdoc
    Free Member

My dad made up a small hive with a perspex side on so that we could watch the magic happen!

Thoroughly recommended for a better understanding of their bee-haviour.

tom7044

Sounds like you are doing a great job for the first year, thanks for posting the honey video, watching flow out of the extractor is one of the most satisfying parts of keeping bees.
    One other bit of advice I thought may be handy for your first winter is to try to avoid the temptation to check on the hive. It is hard, but honestly they will do fine by themselves if you just give them a warm hive and a bit of food then just leave them to do their thing and wait for them to start up again in the spring. e.g. just lift the roof enough to top up the food and that is about it. In our experience too much disturbance over winter seems to result in an unsettled hive the next year.

Viewing 21 posts - 1 through 21 (of 21 total)

The topic ‘Any beekeepers in?’ is closed to new replies.