Viewing 30 posts - 1 through 30 (of 30 total)
  • Any Anti inflammatories which don't hurt your stomach?
  • johnhe

Ibuprofen gel seems to irritate my stomach. Are there anti inflammatory gels which don’t?

druidh
    Free Member

Try Voltarol. I only have to look at Ibuprofen and I get a sore stomach. Voltarol(Diclofenac) seems to work without that effect.

bigblackshed

Diclofenac are available in a low gastro effect. Prescription only though.

Time to see the quack.

TiRed

Sadly there are none – And Oh how people have tried to find one! The reason is that the anti-inflammatory effect also turns down the production of bicarbonate in the stomach (that’s the lining that prevents acid damage).

Voltarol gel gets high local concentrations without the systemic effects. Diclofenac is really just more potent ibuprofen – it will have a similar irritancy. A slow release ibuprofen (Brufen retard) may be more tolerable, but it’s unusual to be prescribed this.

Otherwise ask your GP for something to help with acid production. Omeprazole is often administered together with high dose ibuprofen. A nuclear option to stop acid production.

RoterStern
    Free Member

That is what my doc prescribed for me when I had to take some serious anti imflammatories after a bike accident left me with a knee the size of a basket ball. Goes by the name of Pantazol round these parts.

ernie_lynch
    Free Member

Voltarol gel gets high local concentrations without the systemic effects.

My GP reckons that even prolonged use of Voltarol gel can give you an upset stomach, which surprised me.

KonaTC

Have you thought about including anti inflammatory foods in your diet

darrell
    Free Member

whisky helps

MussEd
    Free Member

Rum + diclofenac for the win!!!

TurnerGuy
    Free Member

turmeric is supposed to be an anti-inflammatory. Mix it in some milk.

If the injury is external you can also get 10% ibuprofen gels such as ibuleve or Boots do one that doesn’t smell as much (behind counter – only 5% on sale on shelves).

johnhe

Problem is, I’m already permanently on omeprazole!

TurnerGuy
    Free Member

try the turmeric then…

speaker2animals

I get the impression from some of these comments that using GEL can still lead to stomach problems? Been using 10% brufen for about a month as I can’t take it orally. Bloody he’ll so that could be why my tum is still playing up. Bugger!

TurnerGuy
    Free Member

try the turmeric then…

eyerideit
    Free Member

TurnerGuy – Member
    try the turmeric then…

+10000000000000000000000

you’re a wise man turnerguy

speaker2animals

So how much tumeric at a time? teaspoon in a glass of milk? Once a day, more?

TurnerGuy
    Free Member

my osteopath suggested it…

he reckoned a teaspoon in a glass of milk.

I tried it but it gave me as bad wind as having a curry 🙁

apparently it is an antioxidant as well, but the book I am reading (Bad Science – recommended) points out that you would need a lot of it to get much antioxodant value, and it may also not be in a beneficial form anyway.

cb

I’m on Omeprazole permanently too – for AS. I Only get issues occasionally with the anti inflams and I just increase the omeprazole dose to compensate. There are numerous anti inflams available though so just ask your doc for another flavour, assuming you on anti inflams long term.

eyerideit
    Free Member

My old flatmate used it to help her cope with arthritis.

It’s got quite a few medical benefits and s being reshearched for its cancer fighting proprieties.

http://www.livestrong.com/article/141251-turmeric-anti-inflammatory/

bigjim

Not being an arse, but why do you need the anti-inflammatory? My stomach is **** and I’m also on omeprazole, but I just don’t take ibuprofen etc. My doctor told me the gels are pointless so I’ve never used them either.

I’d just try pressing on without the ibuprofen, I very rarely take any pain killers and am always amazed at how many pills people seem to pop without thinking about it, like having a cup of tea. I was prescribed diclofenac after a bad accident but with a warning it might cause me bad problems with my stomach, so just never took it in the end, so can’t give feedback on that. I was also given dihydrocodeine which didn’t cause me any problems apart from not pooing for about 4 days, which was a blessing as I could barely walk or sit down, but you’ll only get given that if you have painful injuries.

anagallis_arvensis

wow what a man you are bigjim

EdwardH

I am on esomeprazole and I darent touch the likes of Ibrupofen, I was once given dihydrocodeine and it sent me off on a trip. My wife found it highly amusing, however I didnt, so I wont touch that either.

Anything spicy has me in agony for the rest of the night.

How about ice, frozen peas? Thats as far as I go for an anti inflamitory.

buzz-lightyear
    Free Member

How is the collar bone bigjim?

TurnerGuy
    Free Member

try those heatpads from Boots – thermacare – they are good at killing pain.

mav12
    Free Member

try devils claw herb in capsule form it eases my hip if it gets bad
    also anti inflammatries not good for the kidneys if take for long perods

bigjim

wow what a man you are bigjim

🙄 that clearly wasn’t my point, douche. twas a genuine question, hence how I started it, just curious why the op wants to take profen with stomach issues, as I also have stomach issues.

I was once given dihydrocodeine and it sent me off on a trip. My wife found it highly amusing

yeah I was very spaced on it and my gf didn’t like seeing me like that, but I quite enjoyed the feeling, took my mind off the pain and stuff. I was told to take it with food and didn’t have any problems like I would with ibuprofen.

How is the collar bone bigjim?

fine thanks, bit of a lump that makes a rucksack uncomfortable after a few hours but thats about it.

try those heatpads from Boots – thermacare – they are good at killing pain.

yeah they are great, definitely worth trying instead of ibuprofen.

johnhe

My problem is tennis elbow which is caused by guitar playing. To prevent it I can obviously stop playing. However, I know that ibuprofen gel helps calm it down, even if I keep playing, so I’d hoped for a solution which did not include abstinence. I suck at abstinence.

bigjim

Hmm yeah that is a tricky one, you can’t really wear heat patches all the time, and I’m not sure if they would do anything for that anyway. I suck at abstinence too – I’ve been told to stop drinking coffee and alcohol to help my stomach, but I enjoy them both too much.

I don’t know if there is any way you can look at your guitar playing posture etc, I had bad RSI from using a mouse a few years ago and taught myself to use my left hand instead to get round it, and it cleared up pretty quick.

TurnerGuy
    Free Member

My problem is tennis elbow which is caused by guitar playing

I was getting real problems with pain in my forearm – three sports massages that concentrated on my forearm, which was very tight, and then use of a wrist exerciser from amazon and now no problems at all. The gyro balls are good as well.

nuncyclist
    Free Member

Johnhe, I’m afraid your a bit stuck on this one. It dosent matter which anti inflammatory drug you use, or how you use it- rub it in, swallow it or stick it up your bum. It will affect your stomach’s ability to protect itself from the acid and bile that it contains.
    The omeprazole will stop your stomach making acid , but will do bugger all to stop the bile salts and other digestive juices irritating the stomach lining. Stick to paracetamol – it wont get the inflamation down but it will help the pain.
    Voltarol / diclofenac is just as bad for you as all the other NSAIDs they just have better adverts on TV.

Viewing 30 posts - 1 through 30 (of 30 total)

The topic ‘Any Anti inflammatories which don't hurt your stomach?’ is closed to new replies.