Viewing 16 posts - 1 through 16 (of 16 total)
  • Ants in kitchen
  • dawson

Looks like some ants have found their way into our kitchen – never had a problem in the past 7 years – wondering if the wet weather has somehow driven them up out of the ground..

I have tried some white disc things from Rentokil that contains some gunk that they are supposed like, and carry back to their nest, but kills them, buts its made sod all difference.

Any other suggestions for getting rid? (squirting that white ant powder all over the place is not an option)

Can’t remember what there are called but i use those circular black disks from the supermarket. It contains some poison that they take back to the nest. Works great in the past and it stops them in their tracks – till they find another way in. Bit like that film Aliens

GrahamS

squirting that white ant powder all over the place is not an option

Watch them, find where they are coming in and put a squirt or two of ant powder there. Worked for us.

roundwheels
    Free Member

There’s a ant in me kitchen what am I gonna do?
    There’s a ant in me kitchen what am I gonna go?
    I’m gonna fix that ant thats what I’m gonna do,

Drac

Could be worse.

[video]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HccgCeVo-4c[/video]

derek_starship
    Free Member

dawson – you’ve just reminded me a tale that in retrospect is funny.

Several years ago, I was admitted to ICU with an autoimmune disease. I was obviously very ill and my poor wife was beside herself with worry. She sayed at her mum’s, lay on the bed with her phone and tried to get some sleep.

At about 08:30 she was startled awake by the phone. Hear in mouth, she answered. It was my dad.

“Hiya love. Bad news”

Poor wife is in a right state at this point.

My dad continued “you’ve got ants in your kitchen.”

Yep – he’d called round to our house to feed the cat and discovered ants under the oven. And that was the “bad news.”

Poor wife was expecting the worse. She gave my dad a right bollocking!

joemarshall
    Free Member

squirting that white ant powder all over the place is not an option

It works though. Yes it leaves the place messy for a day or two but you have no ants.

If you can see where they’re coming in, then put it there, but otherwise, put it at entrances and gaps in the wall where they might be coming from.

dawson

thanks all, will have a go with the ant powder

project
    Free Member

Talc is cheaper and works even better.

Just put it down thinly.

oh and it doesnt usually injure your kids if they eat it.

mikewsmith
    Free Member

Antrid – they walk in it carry it back then all come back stronger 🙁

dawson

@Project – thanks for the tip regarding talc, will give that a go tonight!

project
    Free Member

As for the ant powder, some neighbour put loads of it round the front door of our block of appartments, made hell of a mess when it got wet, turns into a grey slurry.

restless
    Free Member

Have you tried Nipon gel, is that the same as the rentokil one?

I have used Nipon before and it worked for my ants.
    You squirt a bit onto something smooth and hide it away so kids etc dont touch it, the ants get it and die.

fuzzhead
    Free Member

Find out where they’re coming in and put one of these next to it. http://www.diy.com/nav/garden/garden-care-watering/pest-weed-control/insect___slug_control/Ant-Stop-Bait-Station-9297686

We had a bit of an ant problem a few months back, these sorted it

SamCooke
    Free Member

@Project – thanks for the tip regarding talc, will give that a go tonight!

Talc doesn’t deter them so much, but you can see where they’ve been and sometimes follow them back to their nest.

alanf
    Free Member

I had a similar problem some years ago and discovered that ants are not keen on eukalyptus.
    I couldn’t get hold of any but used Olbas oil instead.
    Track down where they are coming in from and then a good dosing of the oil and the ants were gone and didn’t return.
    I guess the oil hangs around for a bit and puts them off so they go somewhere else.

Viewing 16 posts - 1 through 16 (of 16 total)

The topic ‘Ants in kitchen’ is closed to new replies.