Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 57 total)
  • Anti Lance-ism gone too far?
  • Kryton57

I didn’t want to continue this in the classifieds here:

http://singletrackworld.com/forum/topic/livestrong-radar-oakley-100-ovno

…but would welcome others opinion. The last poster is correct about Livestrong, but I don’t see that the OP should attack such an organisation because of one of its members actions publicly, in a cyclist forum. Livestrongs good work does not need to be impacted becuase of Lance’s issues.

Should we all offload our Trek Road bikes as well, becuase thay are associated with and have in the past been endorsed by Lance Armstrong? Where would you stop?

wwaswas

There are increasing doubts about Livestrongs track record on distributing money received, though.

they seem to be giving out about 10% of what they get in.

Given how closely their ‘brand’ was linked to Lance it’s not surprising it’s practices are coming under scrutiny too.

Kryton57

OK, I may have to back down and apologise…

IanMunro
    Free Member

I’m not too sure what livestrong actually does. Raise awareness of Cancer?
    Were people not aware of cancer before?

Their headline programme appears to be –

Anti-Stigma Campaign

This pilot campaign will launch in South Africa and Mexico in 2010. The campaign seeks to raise awareness of the global cancer burden and reduce the stigma associated with cancer through culturally relevant and targeted messaging.

!?

Lifer
    Free Member

The only place I’ve seen talk about what valuable work the Livestrong foundation does is the Livestrong website…

MrGreedy

Already been posted several times already on the main LA thread, but this is required reading on Livestrong:

http://www.outsideonline.com/outdoor-adventure/athletes/lance-armstrong/Its-Not-About-the-Lab-Rats.html?page=all

TLDR version – they’ve reduced the amount spent on research, but on balance do still do plenty of worthwhile things, considering their small scale in relation to the big cancer charities. Whether that’s the best use of the money is another question. (No fan of Armstrong, just trying to be fair)

uselesshippy
    Free Member

They fly people around the world first class, to tell people that theres something called cancer.

Junkyard
    Free Member

by Livestrong do you mean the lance Armstrong Foundation to give it its full and proper name ?

https://www.google.co.uk/search?q=lance+Armstrong+Foundation&oq=lance+Armstrong+Foundation&sugexp=chrome,mod=0&sourceid=chrome&ie=UTF-8

are you really surprised that LA recent issues have had an impact

FWIW i have thought for a long time it is about the promotion of LA as a good guy as much as it is about helping those affected by Cancer
    Its aims are to raise awareness about cancer survivability – that hardly makes it clear WTF it actually does or how it directly helps tbh.
    IMHO there are better and more worthy charities in this area though I am sure he has never done anything illegal.
    However the claim is that he benefits , in business, indirectly from the high profile of this organisation and the view it provides of him working tirelessly for cancer- its hard to argue against this tbh.

Houns

Jimmy Saville also wore Oakleys

meehaja
    Free Member

I’m hoping for some cheap livestrong kit.. I like the black and yellow look!

Northwind

wwaswas – Member

they seem to be giving out about 10% of what they get in.

CITATION NEEDED

ourmaninthenorth

Interesting the carefully constructed PR decisions of his sponsors to distance themselves from him, but publicly remain linked to Livestrong. I give it 2 years max before they all have a “realignment of their charitable relationships” and quietly drop Livestrong from their supported causes.

ourmaninthenorth

they’ve reduced the amount spent on research, but on balance do still do plenty of worthwhile things, considering their small scale in relation to the big cancer charities. Whether that’s the best use of the money is another question. (No fan of Armstrong, just trying to be fair)

Read that article a while ago. I was really ready to heavily criticise, but actually found – from that – criticism harder to make in any specidi way, other than considering it to be an indirect Armstrong political lobbying machine.

But now he’s f—ed that up.

As Emma O’Reilly said, Lance is “too Alpha”.

wwaswas

IT was on twitter, it must be true 🙂

Although I can’t find the tweet now it was a ‘reliable’ one.

njee20
    Free Member

I’m hoping for some cheap livestrong kit.. I like the black and yellow look!

+1

Having had and lost a pair of Radars I can’t be bothered to buy another pair full price, but would quite like to get another pair. They’ll complement the Jawbones and the Flak Jackets I’ve got!

MrSalmon
    Free Member

There’s a thread on BR where somebody feels they have to get rid of their Oakleys because of LA. That’s going a bit far, although I can see how you might not want to wear your US Postal or Livestrong kit again.

wwaswas

I’m getting rid of all my calf length black socks.

Guilt by association.

jota180
    Free Member

I’m going to get rid of my Stretch Armstrong now. I simply can’t face his cheesy grin and yellow hair any more

nealglover
    Free Member

although I can see how you might not want to wear your US Postal or Livestrong kit again.

Why, In case someone thinks our doping for your Sunday ride ?

He cheated at bike racing, he’s not a child murderer.

I think people need to get a sense of perspective.

nealglover
    Free Member

In other news, in a knee jerk decision by NASA, Buzz Aldrin has now been named as the First Man on The Moon, after Armstrong was disqualified “just in case”

scaredypants

I’ve got some EPO that I refuse to use now that it’s wrong

– anyone in ??

PrinceJohn

I’m not a professional, but I like the sound of being faster by doping, should I ask Lance for advice?

uwe-r
    Free Member

The scale of his deception has shocked a lot of people. He almost made an industry out of his cheating which has caused a lot of main stream interest and jornos will be crawling all over everything he is associated with. He could have just held his hand up an apologised at any time in the last year or so but he is still brassing it out which is winding people up further.

He has brought and continues to bring it on himself. Nothing more to say.

MrAgreeable

I wore my Bicycle Academy jersey in a race last weekend, and a couple of people called me a “cheating Lance w–ker”.

I felt a bit like a paediatrician who suddenly finds their house surrounded by a baying mob.

pjt201
    Free Member

Mr Agreeable – Member
    I wore my Bicycle Academy jersey in a race last weekend, and a couple of people called me a “cheating Lance w–ker”.

no, i was just calling you a w*+ker… 😉

fourbanger
    Free Member

2006 Trek Madone for sale. Used to be retro cool, now just feel dirty…

headfirst
    Free Member

I’ve got a pair of dx fakeleys, red and black but with ‘Livestrong’ on the inside of one of the arms. I am 100% confident that none of my money made it to the charity. So have they now gone up in value??

Lifer
    Free Member

pjt201 – Member
    ‘Mr Agreeable – Member
    I wore my Bicycle Academy jersey in a race last weekend, and a couple of people called me a “cheating Lance w–ker”.’
    no, i was just calling you a w*+ker…

😆

What is the Bicycle Academy? In my mind it’s wonderous.

MrAgreeable
    nealglover
    Free Member

Mragreeable, I’m sure it will help for you to know that anyone calling you that because of a cycle jersey you happened to be wearing, is clearly a f****** halfwit and there opinion should treated with contempt.

(But I’m sure you knew that already)

piemonster

I’m not a professional, but I like the sound of being faster by doping, should I ask Lance for advice?

No you need Dr Michele Ferrari, although he may be tied up with some matters elsewhere for a wee while

flippinheckler
    Free Member

Anyone want to buy a Livestrong Gilet in Large and some Nike Livestrong shorts and a dryfit t shirt, don’t really want to advertise his brand anymore!

jordie
    Free Member

£10 for the Gillet ?

lemonysam
    Free Member

Sell them and give money raised to Cancer Research UK?

will
    Free Member

nealglover – Member

Why, In case someone thinks our doping for your Sunday ride ?

He cheated at bike racing, he’s not a child murderer.

I think people need to get a sense of perspective.

Agreed.

uwe-r
    Free Member

I had a twix before the commute tonight. My own cheating!

Kryton57

lemonysam – Member
    Sell them and give money raised to Cancer Research UK?

Careful now, this is how I started to become unpopular apparantly…. (see OP).

labsey
    Free Member

I think this will go on for a bit. Never cared either way for the man himself but then I never followed the TdF. I think Livestrong is a good cause and I’ll still wear their stuff. Which will probably get a lot cheaper now.

I_Ache
    Free Member

If anybody has a Remedy that they don’t feel they can ride anymore you can swap it for my Spech Enduro frame if you want.

djglover
    Free Member

Anyone want my bikes, I’m taking up competetive eating. I need to binge because I’m so depressed, but need to remain competetive.

Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 57 total)

The topic ‘Anti Lance-ism gone too far?’ is closed to new replies.