• This topic has 51 replies, 30 voices, and was last updated 9 years ago by mboy.
Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 52 total)
  • Another 'What Car' Thread. £5k Budget
  • Bucko

It’s new car time, the trusty old 306 diesel hatchback has had it’s days. Mrs Bucko has a tiny Audi A1, we have 2 kids aged 1.5 and 2 so need lots of room for 2 strollers and all the other kit required for days out etc.

Probably doing about 10k miles a year, I love diesel but i’ve also considered petrol.

My decisions have hit a wall. Hatchback or estate? Petrol or diesel? Medium or large car?

When we set a budget for £5k we were excited about what cars we could look at but it appears in reality that £5k really doesn’t buy much these days!

So far looked at:

Ford Focus Hatch or estate 1.6 Zetec (petrol)
    VW Golf V 1.6 FSI
    Peugeot 307/308
    VW Passat Estate
    Skoda Octavia Estate
    Saab 9-3 Estate
    Peugeot 406 Estate
    BMW 320d Estate
    Honda Accord Estate

Some of the above cars are so hard to find within budget with sub-100k miles on the clock.

We want a nice car that will keep us happy for at lease 3 years. Are we missing something?

Any opinions or recommendations welcomed

Rockape63
    Free Member

All or none of those cars could be the right one. I’d suggest petrol for a few reasons first of all. Try and find a car that has done average mleage and regularly serviced.

loum
    Free Member

Mazda 5
    Zafira
    Honda FRV
    Ford S-Max

peterfile
    Free Member

Some of the above cars are so hard to find within budget with sub-100k miles on the clock.

Why the sub-100k criterion?

For £5k, buy on condition. I’d rather have something with 150k on the clock that has been looked after properly, than something with 50k that’s been used by someone who rarely cared to fill up the screenwash.

You can pick up good value over the 100k mark, simply because sellers have difficulty in shifting them due to most people having a mental block on a completely arbitrary number (which is quite mad when you think about it!).

Just found this…which should add a bit of perspective as to what these cars are capable of when looked after 🙂

Harry_the_Spider

An S Max for that money will be 7 years old with 100k+ on the clock. They are brilliant (IMHO) but they’re not cheap.

You could get a 09 plate Vectra Estate with 50k on the clock for that budget. I used to have one (54 plate that expired with a terminal electrical fault at 100k) and it was a big comfy family freighter.

loum
    Free Member

HtS is right on the S Max.
    Been looking into all the cars I mentioned, on a similar mission to yourselves, and that’s the more expensive for mileage/age , I guess ‘cos of popularity (as a good car) and lesser availability – say compared to something like a Zafira. There’s loads of them round and they’re a better “value” bet IMO, if not as nice or modern.
    With a family of four, I reckon more the space and the option of more than 5 seats is pretty high on the agenda, for me anyway.
    Allows the possibility of taking other people- like taking the grandparents out for example- which wouldn’t work with an estate no matter how big it is , except merc Eclass and a couple more.
    What I’m trying to say is
    Hatchback or estate? Petrol or diesel? Medium or large car?
    MPV

Northwind

Question for me is always, do you enjoy driving, and what sort will it do?

I drive my dad’s 1.6 focus petrol from time to time, imo it’s not a good choice… Not lacking in power at all but it’s revvy, makes it fairly annoying for just driving around and on motorways especially it cruises at fairly high revs, and is pretty bloomin noisy. Really needs a 6th gear imo. But it is the focus everyone buys so there are millions out there.

Bigger cars often drop the price- you can get a nicer mondeo for your money than a focus generally. I’m having a lot of trouble with mine just now but it’s been a great car up til that and probably will be again.

porter_jamie

petrol cmax 1.8 is much cheaper and the 1.8 has a camchain not a belt

Bucko

I understand that service history is important and high mileage can be a red herring but i just worry that if I plan on keeping a car for 3-5 years then the mileage will only get higher and depreciate the car more.

I’ve sort of excluded people carrier type cars as I don’t see why I need them.

My main priorities are having a ‘nice’ car, that is enjoyable to drive, i will still be happy with in a few years (so not dated in looks). Boot space is important, carrying other people other than the 4 of us isn’t.

I understand that petrol engine come with less risk of unexpected costs and reliability, but i do simply just prefer diesel.

Things like focus C-Max have small boots due to extra seats don’t they? Plus i need to stay away from the 1.6 TDCi engine apparently

bikemike1968
    Free Member

For 10k a year you don’t want a diesel, too many big expensive things to go wrong at your price point.
    As ever, Japanese is your best bet for reliability. You won’t go wrong with a 4 cylinder, non turbo Japanese petrol engine – they go on for ever.
    A Mazda 6 is a good shout, dirt cheap, big and comfortable. My 2006 1.8 does 39 to the gallon and has proved faultless in the 5 years I have owned it. For £5k you’ll get one of the updated ones as well- they’re really nice to drive.

Bucko

I was sort of hoping for the traditional STW response of recommending what you own as I think that would be a valuable source of information and hopefully help weed out the bad cars.

I also need to consider that in about 12 months we will be using the strollers a lot less so boot space will be less of an issue but still a nice thing to have for days out and weekends away etc.

I think i’d have an 1.9 TDi Octavia estate if they were in my budget with less than 150k on the clock.

Inbred456
    Free Member

You can get a ford focus zetec 1.6 diesel brand new on a 2yr lease with 10k limit from Evans Halshaw for 150 quid a month approx. I doubt I’ll buy a second hand car again with deals like that. Old cars especially diesel are money pits these days once they reach a certain age.

bearnecessities

You can get a ford focus zetec 1.6 diesel brand new on a 2yr lease with 10k limit from Evans Halshaw for 150 quid a month approx.

Eh?? Link?!

Bucko

I forgot to mention that i need a hatch or estate for the spaniel, so saloon isn’t an option. Even without a dog i find a saloon a useless option for practicality reasons.

TheFlyingOx

I was sort of hoping for the traditional STW response of recommending what you own

We’ve just spent a tad over £5k on a 8th generation Honda Civic, purely to get leather seats. There are plenty at £5k and under, and a lot with ~50,000 miles or less – ours was 54,000, full Honda service history. It was by far the best car in the price range. Huge boot (well it’s bigger than the boot in any other car we’ve had – takes 2 prams and a lot of luggage) with extra handy split rear seats for child + bike carrying duties, all mod cons (heated seats, sat nav, digital dash, etc.), the best interior by a country mile compared to its competitors, and the 1.8 V-tec petrol engine has been enlightening. Surprisingly quick, and in the month we’ve had it we’re hovering just under 42mpg average. There’s a diesel in the range too, if you’re that way inclined.

Markie
    Free Member

I have a 12 year old diesel 406 (for £5000 you’d be getting one a great deal newer, I suspect) coming up to 200,000 miles which continues to be a great car (although the central locking has gone and the cigarette lighter doesn’t work – no iPhone satnav for me!).

Utterly reliable, reasonably comfortable, big (big!). Wing mirrors are small (as compared with SUV / crossover things.

RoadTrip app shows I’m getting 44 mpg.

We bought it at 2 years and 7000 miles old (I think) and my wife put the bulk of the mileage on it over the next three or four years. I now do around 12000 a year in it.

Inbred456
    Free Member

http://www.whatcar.com/car-leasing/deals/ford/focus/diesel-hatchback-1.6-tdci-115-zetec-5dr/business/274327/

Now I know its a business lease but it can’t be that much more for personal use.

joolsburger
    Free Member
    bearnecessities

That’s a fantastic 2yr lease deal on the focus if they come back with that as the actual quote, even with the VAT on top.

petrieboy

i just worry that if I plan on keeping a car for 3-5 years then the mileage will only get higher and depreciate the car more.

A 5k car is going to be worth next to nothing in 5 years so don’t worry about residual value and buy whatever is going to suit your needs.
    Our family car is a zafira. Perfectly acceptable vehicle. Cheap to fuel and service, parts are very cheap, powerful engine, comfortable (its not a base model) only real downside is its no good for putting bikes in. I expect £5k would get you a pretty late car
    If I was buying again I’d be looking at the berlingo

Del

may want to consider the octavia ‘saloon’? it’s actually a hatchback. pretty decent sized boot i thought when i saw one. should open up a bit more choice.
    at your mileage also give serious thought to a petrol. quicker to warm up if you’re doing short journeys and you don’t have all the DPF and juddery clutch nonsense that can affect a lot of more modern diesels.
    having read above about the civic/accord i’d be looking very closely at one of them with a petrol engine. the accord estates are flipping huge too, but again, the saloon may be plenty big enough.

1-shed
    Free Member

Berlingo or similar, for families they are great. Loads of space and the sliding doors are really good with children combined with the height makes it dead easy getting them in and out. Huge boot space, also good to sit in with the boot up. You can fit a bike on the rear parcel shelf if your boots full when going on holiday.

benp1

Petrol engined E60/E61 5 series should be within budget

I have a diesel E61 and it’s probably close to the budget. Two kids (1.5 and 2.5), big dog and lots of stuff. Carries bikes, furniture, roof box etc

It will be an early version of a car that only got changed in 2010 so won’t look dated for a while

Inbred456
    Free Member

With that focus you wouldn’t have any of the age related problems with the diesel, 55 to 60 mpg. It’s a no brainer really. If you need an economical car that is reliable and cheap to run why would you buy second hand.I might pop in tomorrow and get to the bare bones of that deal and see what the score is.

bearnecessities

I’m going to do the same. I got through 2 of ’09 1.6 tdci models and they are fab motors. New facelift only makes it better!

Bucko

A lease car? Not sure that’s my thing. Especially when it’ll cost £150 and you still have to pay for servicing and tyres.

I’m more confused as ever now. My 306 still has a few months tax and MOT on it so I think I need to use that time to get my head around things.

I’ve considered the Octavia and even the Mondeo ‘saloons’ because they are almost like a hatchback but I still think they’re a bit restricted for my needs.

Overnight my search seems to have been focused on 3 cars:

Hatchbacks:
    Focus 1.6 (115bhp petrol) Zetec with climate pack for about £4k. Big boot and lots of space for a hatch.
    Golf 1.6 SE FSI for about £4-4.5k. Just because I like them. Not really that big on space.

Estate:
    Passat 1.9 TDi PD engine for under £5k. Old engine with only 105bhp and 5 speed gearbox but a nice modern car.

Basically I have no idea what I’m going to buy but I’m still disappointed with what £5k buys you. I almost feel like I should save some money and just spend £3k on an older Golf or Passat with higher mileage.

Daffy

You’ll get an 07-09 Honda Civic 2.2 CDTI for £5k

Bucko

They look like they’ve got a really small boot? The whole car looks like it’s built for style over practicality. Am I wrong?

monkeychild
    Free Member

1.8t Octy is a good choice as the engine is tough.

Daffy

You’ll get a bike in the back with only the front wheel off, and one side of the seats down. They’re a good car, but make sure if it’s got around 70k miles, that the clutch/flywheel has been done.

spangelsaregreat
    Free Member

Just sold our Octavia 2.0 diesel (mark 2) and bought a 2.0 petrol Mazda 6 (last of the 1st gen ones). Both nice cars. The Mazda is a better drive. Not much in it in boot space, the Octavia is deeper but the Mazda is slightly wider which makes it easier to get bikes with wheels off in the boot. Both were hatches, still plenty of room though.

Northwind

Octavia estate is always a good option… the boot isn’t great for a car of its size, it’s a fair volume but not a great shape, lots of intrusions and a high lip on the lid etc. That’s fine for most folks, not ideal for bikes though. But I think for you still a great option.

Your pricepoint is a kind of tricky one tbh, I did exactly what you mention- set a budget of £5000 but ended up buying way cheaper. It felt like £2000 gets you up into “basically good”, maybe longlegged or some cosmetic roughness, but after that you get into a spell of diminishing returns. I think so many people buy on mileage and cosmetics that it skews the values.

karnali
    Free Member

Bout 2months ago got an 07 Octavia estate the laurin klement version. Half leather lots of extras, 17″ alloys, tow bar, Skoda dog guard. Immaculate one owner full history including sales receipt 70k for £5k. Waited a while to find one but very pleased with it.

popstar
    Free Member

Man, 5k can get you 58+plated Passat highline estate with 2.0 cr tdi. But it will be 120k miles +

And that car would tick all your boxes.

Bucko

Not round my way it doesn’t. I think cars are just more expensive in the South West.

I went to a garage to check a few cars out and strangely found myself having a good look around a Ford C-Max 1.8 petrol…

Never thought I’d ever see the day that an MPV gets my interest

breadcrumb

I’m very happy with my Accord Tourer.

You’ll eat find a nice one for 5k, I picked up a tidy 53 plate 2.0 petrol with FSH,10 months mot and 86k for less than half your budget.

I’d avoid older diesels too.

chaos

Previous shape 5 series estates (E61) started in ’04 so you’d easily find one under 5k. Loads of room, reliable and mostly diesels anyway. Just see if you get one with the DPF already changed.

Daffy

Subaru Legacy Spec B?

Bucko

I love all these ‘you’ll easily get one for £5k’ suggestions. Then I go on Autotrader with an 80 mile distance setting and it brings up 5 cars…

I appreciate all the input but I think some people are as ignorant as I was to what £5k actually gets you in my area

Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 52 total)

The topic ‘Another 'What Car' Thread. £5k Budget’ is closed to new replies.