Viewing 34 posts - 121 through 154 (of 154 total)
  • Another very lucky biker!
  • hora
    Free Member

Keep it on a track day. Why should others participate in a driver (or riders) exuberance/feeling ‘on it’/showing his following mates how to ride quickly/trying to keep up with a mate on a ride out/showing off/making good progress etc.

Luckily(?) you don’t see much of this on Snake Pass but you do see some utter tools overtaking on double-white lines into blind bends.

Theres fresh flowers on one such bend though recently there.

I’ll admit that for a while I drove very quickly/had my car sideways a few times but someone on Pistonheads called 10penceshort posted up his prison experience/diaries of what happens when you go out for a drive and someone gets hurt. Very sobering reading.

Reading that slowed me right down.

klumpy
    Free Member

@weeksy

Riding on the road is about forward observation, lines are chosen above all else to aid visibility and are decided ad hoc as the situation unfolds, all roads are ridden as though you’ve never seen them, anything you can’t see is a hazard, brakes are used sparingly if at all.

Riding on the track is about learning the way and putting in utterly consistent inch perfect laps – despite what you can or can’t see, lines are chosen for maximum speed, brakes are used late and hard.

They’re very very different.

hora
    Free Member

Riding on the track is about learning the way and putting in utterly consistent inch perfect laps – despite what you can or can’t see, lines are chosen for maximum speed, brakes are used late and hard.

Track days can be many things to all men. Some go on them for fun, some to improve, some to see how fast a bike or car can go, some to see how a car will slide, improve their skills away from street furniture.

That last couple of words. Its about having legal fun without slamming into a kerb hard. Nevermind the other stuff like railings, power boxes, signs or…trees.

lowey

10penceshort posted up his prison experience/diaries of what happens when you go out for a drive and someone gets hurt. Very sobering reading.

+1. They should have made that thread compulsory reading for the theory test.

cbmotorsport
    Free Member
    weeksy

It’s obvious we’re not going to get even close to agreeing on this thread, so i’ll bow out.

hora
    Free Member

weeksy there is overtaking on double whites, cutting the apex to make it smoother but thats a concious act, one that you are in control of. Going into a bend and spitting yourself wide- thats lack of talent and/or ability on that bike.

Overtaking on a double-white? If its on a straight- ENOUGH room and you have the power of a decent bike, why not?

Different situation to not being properly in control though isn’t it?

slowoldman

Overtaking on a double-white? If its on a straight- ENOUGH room and you have the power of a decent bike, why not?

Because double whites are mandatory perhaps? But I suppose you expected someone to say that.

hora
    Free Member

Because double whites are mandatory perhaps? But I suppose you expected someone to say that.

On Snake Pass in parts you can overtake on double-whites and in one place it doesn’t have them but really REALLY needs them:

From Glossop way- over the long climb, crested the top- after the first blind corner you can see for >1mile ahead clearly- you can take 2+ cars there in one safe overtake on the doublewhite.

Just after this section is some very long wide and very blind swooping bends….with no double-whites. Here you see lots of tyre marks where people have driven off into the grass/through wire fences to avoid sudden head ons.

If you don’t know the road (or are inpatient)- its suicidal but understandable that someone would be tricked into thinking an overtake there would be safe. Its lethal.

cruzcampo
    Free Member

Anyone ride up to the cat and fiddle for the wildboarclough descent? Makes me think twice about it now, too much testosterone on bikes up there.

bren2709

The law – Double Whites.

Double white lines where the line nearest you is solid. This means you MUST NOT cross or straddle it unless it is safe and you need to enter adjoining premises or a side road. You may cross the line if necessary, provided the road is clear, to pass a stationary vehicle, or overtake a pedal cycle, horse or road maintenance vehicle, if they are travelling at 10 mph (16 km/h) or less.
    Laws RTA 1988 sect 36 & TSRGD regs 10 & 26

His approach into the left handler was all wrong top and bottom of it!
    Hope the police throw the book at him, he deserves it!

flicker
    Free Member

trout – Member
    The guy was a lucky plankton
    what if the oncoming car had been a chaingang out for a ride and been a few metres further up the road like say just where he lost it
    it would have been like ten pin bowling with human skittles

Weeksy your a tool and know it

race tracks for racing
    roads for getting from A to B safely

Harsh, I think we’ve all been that idiot at one point in our past, whether you choose to admit it is up to you. When I was a young pup I took liberties that make me wince when I think back, I’m still here by luck alone.

If the chap in the vid is lucky he’ll learn and reign it in, I did, although at his age you couldn’t tell me **** all :D.

Cat n’Fiddle was my play ground back in the 90’s, I stopped riding up there when a bike overshot a corner on to my side and passed between me and the verge to my left, certainly got my attention at the time.

cozz
    Free Member

drove over cat and fiddle today

just after mid day, thick fog, car infront of me was silver, had no lights on – completely disappered 4 car lentghs in front of me, I had full lights and front and rear fog lights blazing

when I pulled up next to him at the buxton end T junction – I suggested he put his lights ON

unbeleiveable

mrchrispy

Anyone ride up to the cat and fiddle for the wildboarclough descent?

I think that maybe the decent I hit 56mph on……..awesome fun at the time but bloody stupid in the cold light of day.
    won’t be doing that agiain

Coyote
    Free Member

Trout sums it up just right. The car driver could have ended up with a death on his conscience, mental issues for life and for what? So some prick with a complex can feel good about himself. Those on here justifying him are just as bad. If you want to ride it like you stole it, do a track day. Not difficult is it?

cruzcampo
    Free Member

@mrchrispy, I mean the off road bit, when you get to the cat and fiddle, you go “off piste” down the bridlepath/right of way opposite, the gritty surface soon turns to babys head sized rocks, then a stream/riverbed, nice techy descent!

ourmaninthenorth

Just been reading that PH thread. Made me think.

I was contemplating an old E46 M3 next year to have some fun. Need to reconsider – driving and riding like that has no place on the roads.

weeksy

Weeksy your a tool and know it

I wasn’t in the video you know ?

Just because I perceive some actions differently to you, now we’re into name calling hey ? Nothing like a bit of nice healthy debate on the internet for bringing out the best in people.

FWIW, I still think he deserves no punishment, he’s already trashed his bike, no-one was hurt and whether you or I think so, he WILL learn from this mistake, we all do when we crash. It’s impossible to crash and for it not to play on your mind to an extent, you run through the why, the how etc.
    Hardest thing I found when racing bikes was getting back on and picking up the same speed instantly again.

On the road, when I crashed it was ususally a mistake by no-one other than me.. but sometimes I tried to believe it was someone elses fault. But over time, you slow down, gone are my days of 140mph on the road, my bike now does 100mph tops.

However, despite your thoughts.. I’m not really a tool. I’m just not a namby pamby nany boy like many others.

You’d probably hate the fact I let me 5 year old do jumps on his bike, put logs in the wood burner and chop bananas with a sharp knife too.

wrightyson
    Free Member

On viewing it again I was just thinking how the two lads he’d blitzed by seconds earlier must have been pissing themselves at his stupidity! The lad who was infront for most of the ride was so much smoother and seemed to take a defensive line towards the end to stop the idiot overtaking him. I’m sure at one point he (idiot) thought about doing him up the inside.

Northwind

DezB – Member

when on back roads/windy roads, ALWAYS expect there to be something coming the other way. Would’ve worked for numpty in the video.

Nah, it wouldn’t- he wasn’t planning on running wide in the corner, after all. If he’d intentionally put himself there- trying to offside at the wrong time or something- you’d be spot on but this is about accidentally going somewhere you didn’t want to, not about deciding to go somewhere you shouldn’t.

if you replay it without the car I think he’d have crashed 10 feet further up the road. He might have got it together but frankly I doubt it, it’s doable but I don’t give him that much credit. (probably the skills to save the situation mostly belong to people who wouldn’t have let it happen in the first place, lack of judgement is best mates with lack of skill)

Woody
    Free Member

On the road, when I crashed it was ususally a mistake by no-one other than me.. but sometimes I tried to believe it was someone elses fault. But over time, you slow down

I can’t believe you think it’s alright to have had ‘crashes’ on the road, especially if you have raced on a track, which is the only place it is acceptable to be anywhere near the limit of you or your bikes capabilities! You sound like one of the many idiots I scrape off the road on a regular basis who haven’t been quite so lucky.

BTW if anyone wants a nice, cheap fast bike, this namby pamby nany boy has his Suzuki RF900 up for sale! Email in profile for details.

flicker
    Free Member

?

I don’t think anyone believes it’s ok to crash anywhere. But some can accept that due to an overestimation of abilities/lack of experience/it’ll never happen to me, you can put yourself in some unfortunate situations. As you get older you learn, hopefully this lad will.

I’d be surprised if we haven’t all made a poor decision that could have affected others if it hadn’t been for a healthy dose of luck, best hang, draw and quarter the lot of us really just to be sure.

Northwind

flicker – Member

I don’t think anyone believes it’s ok to crash anywhere

<crosses teh streams> unless they’re on a jury and the person crashed into a cyclist.

Only half joking- there’s a common perception that crashing cars occasionally is just normal, and something that could happen to anyone but crashing bikes is a sign of insanity. My brother wrote off a car and two vans, it’s a matter of occasional banter. I crashed a motorbike a couple of times, it’s a matter of shocked horror. I never knocked over a ****ing bus stop though so it seems a bit unfair that!

I don’t think it was alright that I crashed but I think it’s understandable, you make millions of decisions in your driving/riding life so some will be bad, and some of those lead to bad places.

But this guy here, he didn’t make a mistake so it’s not really comparable.

flicker
    Free Member

@ Northwind

The look of horror after you’ve been asked whether you’ll be giving up bikes and getting yourself a safe little car, you then tell them you’ve bought something bigger and faster 😀

I think he just overestimated his ability and it all went a bit wrong, thankfully luck was on his side this time.

peterfile
    Free Member

someone on Pistonheads called 10penceshort posted up his prison experience/diaries of what happens when you go out for a drive and someone gets hurt.

Hora, thanks for the heads up on this.

Without a doubt one of the most important things I’ve read online.

bren2709

Has anyone got a link to 10penceshort’s prison diary thread?
    Have tried to find but cannot view for some reason?

Cheers

bren2709

Found it!

anagallis_arvensis

[video]http://m.youtube.com/?#/watch?v=kllCnbOQgyA[/video]

wrightyson
    Free Member

I thought that was some comedy sketch at first due to the coppers voice/manerisms!
    In that case I presume the car is still at fault as he pulled out?

DezB
    Free Member

In that case I presume the car is still at fault as he pulled out?

Yes, you can presume that, but you’d be wrong. Quite worrying that you’d think that.

rureadyboots
    Free Member

You think thats bad, you should see the Vettel wannabe’s trying to out brake each other on the M27 where it changes from four lanes into three during the morning rush hour.

Its carnage.

Most people on this thread know very little about bikes bar the ones who pointed out his shitty fear induced line. That corner could be taken MUCH faster.

pjm84
    Free Member

That corner could be taken MUCH faster.

Totally agree. I’ve watched the video a few times and whilst it was a crap line choice his own inability was to blame.

wrightyson
    Free Member

Why’s it quite worrying? I’m not allowed a road bike and I would never make a manoeuvre such as the car did without fully being aware there were no bikers on the way down the white line.

anagallis_arvensis

At that speed i doubt he could be spotted

Viewing 34 posts - 121 through 154 (of 154 total)

The topic ‘Another very lucky biker!’ is closed to new replies.