Viewing 28 posts - 41 through 68 (of 68 total)
  • Another Twitter Muppet
  • Blackhound

Was she in that C4 dogging programme? They all used to wear animal heads like that?

dannyh
    Free Member

I agree that contacting her employer directly asking for her to be sacked is OTT. Bringing it to her employer’s attention, pointing out what their business is, then asking them why they employ such a thick bint is a more rhetorical way of doing it!

Ten out of ten for the point about not being aggravated by people who are either deliberately looking for confrontation/controversy or are just plain thick. There just is not enough time to get wound up by all the tossers out there. I’ve said it before and I’ll say it again, tossers are everywhere. Everywhere. Like the masons, but with no actual agenda. The plain fact of the matter is that I would spend more time and attention to scraping a discarded fag end off the bottom of my shoe than thinking about Emma Way or her ilk.

tomhoward

I agree that contacting her employer directly asking for her to be sacked is OTT. Bringing it to her employer’s attention, pointing out what their business is, then asking them why they employ such a thick bint is a more rhetorical way of doing it!

You’d rather be the passive aggressive, cloak and dagger type? Classy. I still think it’s a shitty thing to do. We’ve all said silly things. This isn’t anywhere near as bad as Emma way as she just appears to be giving it the biggun, rather than bragging about something she’s done. I’m not sure I like a world where someone will contact my work because something I’ve said offends them. Where do you draw the line?

dannyh
    Free Member

Not a big fan of whimsy?

nach
    Free Member

On a scale of whimsy to f***ery, I wouldn’t put threatening someone’s job very close to the whimsical end 😛

She seems like a tosser and I hate what she said, but the focussed, organised rage she’s got back from the internet is way overboard. It doesn’t do good things to people.

nealglover
    Free Member

I’m not sure I like a world where someone will contact my work because something I’ve said offends them. Where do you draw the line?

Entirely agree.

Anyone who reads what she said on the internet and then complains to her place of work asking for her to be sacked, is just as much of an “Internet Arsehole” as she is I reckon.

philjunior
    Free Member

I disagree with those saying it’s OTT to contact her employer. She’s got a public profile and is, like it or not, representing her employer at all times.

Anyone in any job, especially a professional job, may suffer consequences at work for actions outside of working hours. She’s gone and done something that, at the end of the day, reflects poorly on her profession and her employer. Sacking may be over the top, depending on her role/past performance, but I would find it inappropriate if no disciplinary action was taken.

tomhoward

So that girl has controversial, yet apparently widely held views on cyclists. Cyclists (a minority group) are informing her employer of their displeasure, saying in some cases that she should be sacked because she is always representing the company.

I have some widely held views about religion that a minority may find offensive. Should I keep them to myself because a minority of religionists find them offensive, and could contact my employer demanding my job because my views offend them?

aracer
    Free Member

If it involves killing religious people, then keeping them to yourself is probably a good idea, yes.

Jamie
    Free Member

I have some widely held views about religion that a minority may find offensive. Should I keep them to myself because a minority of religionists find them offensive, and could contact my employer demanding my job because my views offend them?

Depending on how offensive their content, you might be breaking the law.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Racial_and_Religious_Hatred_Act_2006

tomhoward

Not inciting violence or anything illegal, but committed believers might be offended that I don’t share their beliefs. Like I say, where is the line in the sand?

aracer
    Free Member

Unlike the tweet. I’d suggest the line in the sand is somewhere before you do incite violence or something illegal if you’re struggling with that.

Are you completely missing the issue with this tweet and stuff like it?

slowoldgit
    Free Member

I’m not sure where the line is, but a proposal that could involve maiming or killing someone is way over on the far side of it.

martib

Stupid comment YES, misguided YES contacting her employers and calling for her sacking, a little bit over the top (Unless you are a Daily Fail reader).
    Education on Social Media usage is what is needed, especially to young people these days. I dare say (myself included) have said something stupid on Social Media or that another group has disagreed with. If you wouldn’t say it in public, don’t post it on social media.
    The trouble is now a days with the internet is people are too easily offended and keen to roll out the pitchforks and burn people at the stake for the most minor infringements. IMO the Media is especially bad at inflaming this sort of attitude.
    Everyone makes mistakes, we should learn from them, everyday is a learning day. Just remember ‘sticks and stones will break my bones, but names will never hurt me’ 😉

MoreCashThanDash

Clearly an issue with young people on social media not understanding the consequences of their actions. MrsMC trains newly qualified social workers, some of the problems a couple of them have caused themselves on twitter and Facebook, given their type of work, is a nightmare!

I’ve discovered I don’t need twitter or Facebook. If I do or plan something interesting I email the few friends who may like to know. If I want to be a dick and express controversial opinions I come here.

cookeaa

OTT response? I Dunno, TBH it all depends on someone’s line of work and how closely they are identified with their employer…

Working in “Da Meeja” especially an online media type company and not being sufficiently aware of the out of proportion Shit-storm a dickish, throwaway comment on twitter can cause, arguably could be a sackable offense, put it in a different context as, say a bit of “Banter” from bar staff in a pub? probably not such a big deal…

TBH informing an employer of their employees “antisocial online conduct” should be perfectly acceptable, its entirely up to her bosses to decide if they want to keep using her free labour…

We are aware of a tweet that one of our interns has sent featuring a remark about cyclists that clearly and justifiably offended many people. While the content of this tweet or any other tweets sent from the personal social media accounts of our employees are in no way representative of the views of the company or its staff, it is quite clear that this tweet was extremely ill-informed and made with very poor judgement.

We have requested that the employee in question remove the offending tweet so that the hurt and offence it has caused can be limited as much as possible. While we pride ourselves on the work with social media and understanding the many nuances of online etiquette, we appreciate that this has been a severe lapse in the otherwise good online conduct of one of our employees.

In light of this occurrence, we can assure you all that this matter is being taken with the utmost seriousness that it deserves. We would like to make it completely clear that White Hat Media has cyclists among its own staff, including its directors, and does not condone the contents of the message in any way whatsoever and can assure everyone that cyclists are held in very high regard by the company and its employees.

Whether she gets to continue working there or not, she should treat the whole thing as a learning excercise, don’t write stupid things on twitter, Or better yet don’t write anything on twitter… Oh and learn how to make a convincing “Sorry” face:

Here’s a quite poor example…

vinnyeh

Tbh, I’ve seen plenty of comments on here where the poster has said what they’d like to do to others whose (not illegal) behaviour they didn’t like.

Stupid, stupid comment from the girl, yes, but pretty unlikely at she was going to carry it through – anyone disagree with that?
    Sure, she needs to be thoroughly taken through the potential consequences on ther people’s behaviour, but I bet she’s learnt a good lesson by now.

There’s some pretty self righteous people on here.

catschroedinger
    Free Member

In a way she is right there are some complete bell ends on the road in cars and on bikes ,do they deserve to be run over, no but the likelihoood of it happening with some complete arsehole cyclist that thinks ranting on a forum makes them indestructable “cos i have bakup by a load of other keyboard warriors” is a bit of a reach

It almost makes you wish she was a jedi hard as **** master and called these internet muppets out for a chat and a slap, being honest I would be doing that if some twunt on a forum contacted my employer and tried to juxtposition it as one of the worst crimes humanity had committed.

mrbelowski
    Free Member

Meh, she doesn’t care if cyclists are run over and killed, I don’t care if she gets a load of abuse and sacked for being a retarded attention whore dick-splash with a flappy head and brain full of shit.

You don’t post this crap unless you think this crap, so as far as I’m concerned she deserves all the grief she gets. If she doesn’t really think this crap and is just posting for attention then she also deserves all the grief she gets.

D0NK

Tbh, I’ve seen plenty of comments on here where the poster has said what they’d like to do to others whose (not illegal) behaviour they didn’t like.

yes nuking from orbit is a well used phrase on here, however highly unlikely that the forumite has any nukes or indeed a spaceworthy vehicle to launch them from. Most people have a car and the ability to run over cyclists with them is only too real a possibility.

zilog6128

It almost makes you wish she was a jedi hard as **** master and called these internet muppets out for a chat and a slap, being honest I would be doing that if some twunt on a forum contacted my employer and tried to juxtposition it as one of the worst crimes humanity had committed.

I don’t know about giving you a slap but if I ever met you IRL I’d be happy to lend you my dictionary.

back on topic:

Anyone who reads what she said on the internet and then complains to her place of work asking for her to be sacked, is just as much of an “Internet Arsehole” as she is I reckon.

It’s not something I’d do personally. I understand though that some cyclists feel unjustly picked on most of the time by a lot of people and there’s not much they can do about it or make their voices heard – so when an opportunity comes along where they can be heard they jump on it.

catschroedinger
    Free Member

I don’t know about giving you a slap but if I ever met you IRL I’d be happy to lend you my dictionary.

yep internet muppet’s exists makes here efforts look weedy in comparison

does make you wonder how the bike industry manages to sell small medium and large frames when in reality only a high horse need be available

zilog6128

yep internet muppet’s exists makes here efforts look weedy in comparison

My apologies; I didn’t realise English was your second language.

toby1

I notice no one has invited her out for a ride yet? Seems like the only logical approach to me.

deviant
    Free Member

D0NK – Member

yes nuking from orbit is a well used phrase on here, however highly unlikely that the forumite has any nukes or indeed a spaceworthy vehicle to launch them from. Most people have a car and the ability to run over cyclists with them is only too real a possibility.

…get a grip, its highly unlikely she is advertising the fact that she will consciously run down a cyclist.
    If you cant see that her tweet is just a rant then you must have great difficulty with the more subtle aspects of life.

Her tweet is similar to when somebody on Facebook says they will kill the next person who sends them an invitation to play Candy Crush Saga….is that person actually going to kill the sender of the next invite they get?….unlikely, it is a rant….learn to read between the lines gentlemen, she finds cyclists on the road annoying, thats all.

She isnt out to commit murder in her four wheeled killing machine if thats what you are worried about….although on a sunny Sunday in Surrey i do sympathise with her sentiment.

The STW lot are an ultra sensitive bunch when it comes to the ‘us and them’ car-bike discussion….not to mention more than a bit spiteful when it comes to contacting employers etc etc….

svalgis
    Free Member

The person declaring on facebook that muslims are disgusting and deserve to be killed are just RANTING, guys. You’re so sensitive. It’s just the internet, get a grip. If everyone just leaves it alone it will definitely not grow into a socially accepted point of view or anything.

D0NK

If you cant see that her tweet is just a rant then you must have great difficulty with the more subtle aspects of life.

I was going to add stuff about dehumanising an outgroup, trivialising the KSI stats that cyclists (and others) suffer at the hand of drivers but I ran out of edit time.

I know she’s ranting, duh, I think she chose a particularly poor subject to rant about that is quite sensitive to some people (generally cyclists but not necessarily mtb forum dwellers). Context and means comes into it. If I threaten to shoot you in the face on here I doubt you’ll be shitting in your pants, if I say the same to you face to face you may be a little more worried, if I say it with a gun in my hand you may (rightly) be pretty pissed off. An idiot threatening to run over the next person they see legitimately using a bit of road said idiot wants sole use of is not really acceptable rant material.

aracer
    Free Member

The difference is that nobody nukes anybody from orbit. Plenty of people do run down cyclists with their cars (I find it hard to believe there isn’t an element of drivers thinking cyclists don’t have the right to be there in some cases – just a few days ago a chap who overtook me dangerously close justified it because I was “riding in the middle of the road” – yes I had been just before, doing over 30 in a 30 limit). Comments like hers are a problem because they encourage the sort of thinking which makes roads more dangerous places.

Can people really not see the difference between encouraging people to take less care around cyclists on the road and other attitudes which don’t directly impact on people’s safety?

Viewing 28 posts - 41 through 68 (of 68 total)

The topic ‘Another Twitter Muppet’ is closed to new replies.