Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)
  • Another Strava thread – does anyone use the route builder?
  • wilko1999
    Free Member

For off-road rides? The idea that I can see segments on the route builder, follow them and link them together to build a ride is brilliant. However in practice I’m finding it painful, every time I click a waypoint I have to wait a few seconds while it ‘calculates the route’. These short waits soon add up over the course of planning a 3 or 4 hour ride and mean its a drawn out, massively time-consuming procedure. I’m using ‘manual mode’ by the way to enable me to plot a route anywhere and not rely on established trails that Strava recognises.

Am I doing something wrong or is it just a bit clunky?

I’ve been using ridewithgps up until now and that is very quick, but obviously you don’t get the Strava segments showing up.

CrispyCSW

I use it quite a bit. I turn on the heatmap, and generally the automatic mode follows stuff that shows up on there quite well (although sometimes you have to help it out by clicking on some points along the way, rather than just at the end of section you want to follow.

Sometimes it just refuses to snap to the route you want though and you have to use manual mode which, as you say is a bit of a PITA with all the “calculating route” pauses.

Xylene
    Free Member

Yes. I hate it.

Every time I turn it on to automatic, it tries to take me on a detour to the largest busiest and most dangerous main road it can find.

I gave up with it.

wilko1999
    Free Member

Okay cheers, haven’t tried that. I’ll turn on the heatmap and see if it follows the routes I want to take.

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)

The topic ‘Another Strava thread – does anyone use the route builder?’ is closed to new replies.