Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 143 total)
  • Another Sick! brand? Mullet Cycles
  • ayjaydoubleyou

These came up on another thread about mixed wheel sizes recently.

I said at the time that the website (and the bizarre random fonts) reminded me of our favourite tattooists-cum-bicycle-magnates.

Now looking at how things are kicking off in this Vital article

https://www.vitalmtb.com/news/press-release/NEW-MULLET-PEACEMAKER-FULL-SUSPENSION-FRAMES-NOW-AVAILABLE-FOR-PRE-ORDERS,4311

“Secret” geometry, maybe they cant measure them until they come out the containers?
    It seems they are from the same school of advertising and customer service too.

kelvin

We don’t believe in marketing BS…

…followed by a load of absolute marketing BS.

huck2flat
    Free Member

Good grief – that has to be one of the ugliest looking frames in a long time !

stevie750

go to the comments for that page

Looks like there is a pile of astroturfing going on that has been spotted by the admin.

mboy
    Free Member

The company was touched on towards the end of this thread…

Mullet/MX bike – who’s ridden one?

My take on it is simple… In an age of transparency, trying to be all secretive and creating a cult of followers based around your (supposed lack of!) Marketing Hype and no real substance, just doesn’t cut it… We’ve seen that with Sick (and they at least printed their Geometry!) and look how that turned out!

Good luck to them… I wouldn’t consider parting with any money without seeing geometry numbers first, and from the pics, the BB height has an old school 26″ Santa Cruz Bullit look to it… And I had one of those, and it was HIGH!

Scienceofficer
    Free Member

Reminds me of the club roosts on CRC back in the early 00’s.

funkmasterp

That’s some of the worst marketing bollocks I’ve ever read.

transporter13
    Free Member

Looks like an old diamondback xts moto

dirkpitt74

I like the paint job on the one with the HELM fork – I do like a black and gold scheme.

Superficial
    Free Member

Looks like there is a pile of astroturfing going on that has been spotted by the admin.

Yeah, that’s the real news here. Straight-up snake oil being sold to Vital MTB. Pretty embarrassing for Vital to publish this TBH, but at least they noticed the comments and called it out.

The bikes look like shit, too.

timbog160

Comments are great though!

dyna-ti

Mullet should be glad this didn’t make the Pinkbike front page, because ya’ll would have got a much worse response than what’s here.

ayjaydoubleyou

Mullet should be glad this didn’t make the Pinkbike front page, because ya’ll would have got a much worse response than what’s here.

Interesting, as I’d assume that the sort of article/press release is a paid one? Or do you just fire out press releases and hope the various press sites pick it up and feature?

Anybody in the know as to how this works, and how its different when comparing the big guys – vital and PB versus the smaller players like STW and NSMB?

hatter

Wow, the coments under that Vital story went full ‘certified dumpster fire’ real fast.

Hope it does end up on the PB front page, could use a giggle on a rainy Wednesday.

thols2

“6 inches of CONTINUOUS travel front and rear”

Words fail me.

dangeourbrain
    Free Member

“6 inches of CONTINUOUS travel front and rear”

Words fail me.

I’ve some marzocchi forks in the garage which if you used them, would make you realise that’s not as stupid a statement as you might think.

thenorthwind

Can someone tell me what an “unfavourable speed pocket” is please?

CaptainFlashheart
    Free Member

A shart.

PJM1974
    Free Member

Blimey, I saw the first pic of the ugly swingarm and dropout, scrolled down and saw that they’d done the same to the other side too.

Those replies though, I haven’t seen astroturfing like that since I watched a First Division football match in 1986.

I’ll pass, thanks.

hamishthecat
    Free Member

I thought it was something to do with billiards.

PJM1974
    Free Member

A polite term for having a bouncer turn you away post-frisk from 1980s Essex nite-club?

sharkattack

That press release is an absolute classic of the genre. Brilliant stuff.

The comments are very well deserved.

Rickos
    Free Member

i followed them on Insta for a couple of weeks, but they’re idiots. It’s all everybody else’s fault, naming websites and magazines that wouldn’t give them the time of day, talking about ‘experts’ without actually backing it up, etc. Just chancers and as for not showing their geometry – no thanks, no informed buyer would take that sort of BS. It’s a shame because the mullet idea is one I really like, but these knobbers aren’t helping anyone.

andybrad

oh dear,

i do like the double bearings tho.

but oh dear

Sui
    Free Member

did no one pick up that they’ve just ripped off a FOES Mixxer – a quick google shows it is indeed identicle..

LAT

did no one pick up that they’ve just ripped off a FOES Mixxer – a quick google shows it is indeed identicle..

but does the foes still have your parents’ single pivot? this one has been designed for a single ring. patented position and everything!

perhaps their reluctance to reveal their secret geometry has something to do with it being identical to the Foes…

Poopscoop

So Mullet have ™’ed the whole English language?😁

What a load of marketing cobblers, even by MTB standards.

thisisnotaspoon
    Free Member

They look nothing alike?

ayjaydoubleyou

did no one pick up that they’ve just ripped off a FOES Mixxer

The design? which is different? or did you mean the Foes website, extract below, which now seems very familiar…

The 2021 Mixer is now available!

The very same frame found on the Foes Limited Edition Hall of Fame Mixer, the 2021 Mixer is designed around this proven wheel configuration to give you the correct head angle and BB height. With this concept in mind, the 2021 Mixer gives you a ride and feel like no other bicycle you have ridden. This design places the front wheel axle higher than the rear axle, which makes the bike easier to lift over obstacles, and more responsive. With the bigger wheel up front, the rider leans forward more to weight the front wheel for better traction. Look no further than any modern off-road motorcycle design for proof of concept. The 2021 Mixer has 6″ of REAL travel that descends like it’s on rails and climbs like a spider monkey…

Here’s how the Mixer works…

The front axle is higher than the rear. The front of the bike feels lighter when it comes to clearing obstacles.
    Cornering speed is increased because of the 2 wheel sizes. Wheels rotate in different arcs so the back wheel always tracks the front wheel’s path.
    Acceleration is increased as chain stay length is shorter than 29” rear wheel models.
    The new 2021 Mixer is a combination of CNC machined components and our exclusive hydroformed parts utilizing 6061 T6 aircraft alloy. All frames are hand welded, heat treated, machined and checked for alignment before being assembled right here in our factory.
    Foes 2021 Mixer
    29″ front wheel w/ 27.5” rear wheel
    Suspension travel 6″/ 160mm 2.4 : 1 Rising Rate leverage ratio
    Double butted 6061 alloy hydroformed down tube
    Tapered head tube 1 ⅛” ZS, 1 ½” ZS44|ZS56
    Full complement double-sealed pivot bearings
    68mm BB/threaded shell
    12mm x 148mm (boost spacing) thru-axle with hanger/nut combo
    Replaceable ISCG05 mounting plate
    Prismatic single pass color options INCLUDED!
    Ask about Illusion or 2 stage color upgrades.
    Base Price $ 2499 with Manitou McCleod shock
    Ask about shock upgrade options

hungrymonkey
    Free Member

Anybody in the know as to how this works, and how its different when comparing the big guys – vital and PB versus the smaller players like STW and NSMB?

Will depend on a number of factors.
    IIRC some brands can self publish on PB with their press releases (I’m sure being checked by PB pre publish), mebbe the same with vital. Otherwise its most likely that they’ll send out a pr and editorial teams will decide what gets published and what doesn’t. If there was non selective self publishing across the board, the sites would be full of absolute shite.

nickc

Got to say, the Foes blurb and the Mullet Cycles blurb feel pretty similar, especially the description of the 6″ rear travel (measured in imperial) and the 170mm front (in metric) Is that just me? Or some weird Americanism?

greeny30
    Free Member

Hideous, somehow looks like its from the early noughties, awful design and they’re asking a lot of that weld infront of the brake mount.

ta11pau1

I’m sorry…. WHAT?

ayjaydoubleyou

We had a good laugh about that on the thread mboy linked to.

The only thing that interests me mullet wise is the comparative turn in radius (for given lean) of the different wheels.
    They touch on it and then ignore it, cheifgrooveguru had a go at explaining it in the other thread.
    Overall, very little on it, compared to endless talk about straight line roll over and short poeple arse clearance.

mrlebowski
    Free Member

It does rather have the overpowering reek of another dirty stinking mahoosive con…

bedmaker

Spectacular 😂

The DSS thingy video is truly special. The whole thing is really though.

thisisnotaspoon
    Free Member

oh dear,

i do like the double bearings tho.

but oh dear

This is about the conclusion I came to.

Simple bike, durable bearings, decent geometry(?), but for £1500 (plus taxes and duty) no thanks.

Can someone somewhere stick a Cannondale Prophet in a photocopier and hit enlarge 110%?

chiefgrooveguru

The Foes Mixer is a linkage-driven single-pivot. Completely different! Designed by a highly respected engineer who was behind some important bikes of the past. Completely different!

I saw this on Vital and the brilliant responses from people like Steve @ Vorsprung. What an enormous pile of marketing bullshit! I hadn’t seen it since the astroturfing began…

The suspension design is truly awful – and amazingly they’ve put a graph of how bad it is on their website. It’s regressive from 2 to over 2.7, so 35% regression. I presume they didn’t understand what the software was telling them and thought that because the graph was going up that it was progressive! 35% progression is a lot, like a Capra or something, would be good for gnarly riding, needs a big volume air shock or a coil. But this is the opposite – needs a tiny volume shock that ramps up like crazy but it’ll still be rubbish on small bumps, soggy in the middle, and bottom out too easily.

If they want to design a decent single-pivot they should copy a recent Orange or a Starling – they’ve arranged the main pivot and shock to achieve almost totally linear leverage. The only way to get some progression is to stick one end of the shock through the lower half of the downtube, like on the 324 – that’ll get you about 10% progression.

It really is like “Sick 2 – the halfwits return and now they’re in a bigger country…”

nicko74

CaptainFlashheart
    Free Member

A shart.

rofl 😀

PJM1974
    Free Member

Remember those loony vibration dampening stickers that promised a “Gain in productivity” and “Increased earning”, supported by the “Chladni Test”? I’m reminded of that.

Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 143 total)

The topic ‘Another Sick! brand? Mullet Cycles’ is closed to new replies.