Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)
  • Another MOT question…
  • the-muffin-man

My MOT runs out on 3rd July, and according to the documents I can take it in several weeks early and still keep the same expiry date for the following year.

If I take the car in early and it fails its MOT does the current MOT still stand until the 3rd July or would it be classed as having no MOT (until it passed again)?

Hope that makes sense!!

Cheers

luke
    Free Member

The car would still have a valid mot until the 3rd July but you would be driving an unroadworthy vehicle which in itself is an offence,

thomthumb
    Free Member

If I take the car in early and it fails its MOT does the current MOT still stand until the 3rd July or would it be classed as having no MOT (until it passed again)?

the first mot will still stand however you will be aware that the car is unroadworthy. pretty short shrift if you ever needed to defend this position imo.

mot doesn’t guarantee that a car is roadworthy.

yesiamtom
    Free Member

If a car fails an mot it doesnt necessarily means its un road worthy now does it? for example if it fails because a front bulb is out you can still drive it in the day time.

MOTs can’t be revoked. If your car is flagged as dangerous at the mot it already was dangerous and I think if it was proved to be dangerous your ignorance wouldn’t matter. You should check your car every time you get in it…but who does that?

thisisnotaspoon
    Free Member

Depends whether the fail is deemed dangerous IIRC. So a rear seatbelt fault you could take it to another garage to fix, whereas a fault in the brakes/tyres they could stop you driving it away.

BigButSlimmerBloke
    Free Member

for example if it fails because a front bulb is out you can still drive it in the day time.

can you? i though faulty headlights = offense, regardless of time, what if rains/snows heavily, or you’re in a tunnel and the road lighting fails?

TuckerUK
    Free Member

I think most of us (including the authorities) agree there is a huge difference between technically not road legal because of an MOT failure (which could be as simple as very slightly high emissions), and an unroadworthy MOT failure.

Discretion and common sense, as with most things.

spooky_b329

You need to present the existing MOT with the car so they can post-date the new one. Go somewhere that does ‘just mots’ and no repairs, as this means there is no incentive to fail it to create work. Unless you have too much cash/not enough time, in which case go to a normal garage where you can just forget about it till they ring you up with a pass certificate (and the bill).

KwikFit…”your car needs new front wishbones, that’ll be £600 please.” I told them I was coming to get it and sort the repairs myself. “But its in bits on the ramp!” OK…when will it be all back together, cos I’m not paying you £600!? “Ummm…” Took it down the road and an independent replaced the bushes in the wishbones, and charged me something like £80. He was obviously too cheap as he’s closed down now 🙁

luke
    Free Member

I wouldn’t use kwik fit for anything myself, i’ve seen to many issues with there work to ever go there myself.

andydicko
    Free Member

If it fails but still has a current certificate, in the eyes of the Law it’s failed, end of. It cannot be driven until it has a valid cert issued after the fail, unless it’s being driven for repair or retest.

Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)

The topic ‘Another MOT question…’ is closed to new replies.