Viewing 26 posts - 1 through 26 (of 26 total)
  • Another exposure thread.. sorry. MAXX D VS 6 PACK
  • chilled76
    Free Member

Evening all,

I’ve decided to go cable free and definitely buy an exposure light for the bars.

I’m running a mk11 joystick on my helmet.

Can’t decide between the maxx d and the 6 pack, I want to go super bright but I’m slightly concerned that the 6 pack might be overkill and a bit massive on the bars.

Anyone ran both before and can comment?

vincienup
    Free Member

Not run both, but my MaxxD is enough for me.

What sort of size barlight are you used to?

chilled76
    Free Member

Got a hope vision 4, finding it dim though compared to a group I ride with with 1,000,000 Chinese lumens each.

mattbee

Had a Max D before a crash totalled it. Replaced temporarily with a Hope Vision 4.
    The Hope is definitely not as good, beam doesn’t seem to penetrate as far on the Hope, notwithstanding the extra faff with cables. I’d say the Max D will be fine, certainly better than your Hope by a country mile.

strangey13
    Free Member

I’ve started using a Joystick and a Toro and has been good for me so far. Lose the Joystick light a bit when looking straight ahead but is a good mix when head and bars are pointing different directions. Would imagine MaxxD would be enough for most people.

andysredmini
    Free Member

I just bought a six pack in the Evans sale. I have fancied a maxxd for a couple of years but my old exposure enduro keeps refusing to die. The six pack was only about £30 more than the maxxd in the sale so I thought I may as well buy the top model. I’m yet to try it biking but a walk down the canal suggests it’s stupidly bright and the beam pattern is really good. It’s not as big as I expected and it’s out of the way on the bars anyway so doesn’t really matter especially considering it is cable free.

burt
    Free Member

Got a 2017 maxxD. It really isn’t much brighter than my Chinese special. Should have got a 6 pack

dabaldie
    Free Member

I have a Mk 4 MaxxD which has been great, but started to feel that I needed a bit more so I bought a Six Pack from Evans at their stupid price (less a voucher). Its only fractionally bigger than my Maxx D but the output is insane.
    I rode it last night on my favourite loop and set my 3rd fastest time ever on a technical descent. That’s in the dark compared to the 2 faster in bright sunlight! The Reflex is nuts, not at any point did I think I needed more light. I run a Lezyne on the helmet, but even in race mode (800 lm) I could hardly see it!
    Did a road ride with mates this evening and they were blown away on full power, only issue was that I had to dip it for cars!
    Do I regret going big.. not a chance. tbh I didn’t buy it for the output, more the combination of output and longevity.

fifeandy
    Free Member

Good point in the post above. The key feature of the six pack isnt the monster output, its the monster battery allowing a good output for a really long time.
    On the Evans BF deal the six pack was a no brainer, paying closer to full price a maxxd makes more sense unless doing 24hr races.

jonnyboi

Good point in the post above. The key feature of the six pack isnt the monster output, its the monster battery allowing a good output for a really long time.
    On the Evans BF deal the six pack was a no brainer, paying closer to full price a maxxd makes more sense unless doing 24hr races.

Same here, got the six pack simply as it gave more lumens for longer.

Yes it’s huuuuuuggggeee. But you don’t notice it after a while. And it is a very, very good light.

chilled76
    Free Member

Anyone got a picture of it on their bars?

Does the weight affect steering at all?

chilled76
    Free Member

Not intending doing any 24 hour races but some of the people I ride with have started doing peak district rides at night, the idea of brighter for longer appeals. The exposure comparison tool doesn’t show that much difference but it would be good to see a comparison of the brightness of an output they could sustain for 3 hours solid.

benp1

For those out solo or in small groups (ie where you’re not being outgunned in the lighting stakes), do you ride with them at a big output?

I find I rarely go above low/medium on my 3 setting nitefighter bar light. I reckon that’s barely 1000 lumens. Again my Diablo is often on the 6 or 10 hour setting on my lid

Part of the fun for me is feeling like I’m riding in the dark

STATO
    Free Member

My MaxxD (Mk7, 2400L) is currently set to 12h and 3h modes, so about 3-400L on Low and 2400 on High. My rides are only short so High is fun but you dont really need that much output for general riding, my previous MaxxD Mk1 was 1000L on high and I thought that was fine. If the weight doesn’t bother you get the 6 pack for the extra battery life.

Oblongbob

Recently opted for the six pack. Recently used it in earnest at the Falkirk funduro. Really bright (one marshal randomly said it was the brightest light of the night!). It is big, but not as big as I thought it would be. Didn’t notice it at all on the bars when riding. I got it mainly for the battery life for strathpuffer, but the 4500 lumens in reflex thing was quite a temptations too.

fifeandy
    Free Member

For those out solo or in small groups (ie where you’re not being outgunned in the lighting stakes), do you ride with them at a big output?

I find I rarely go above low/medium on my 3 setting nitefighter bar light. I reckon that’s barely 1000 lumens. Again my Diablo is often on the 6 or 10 hour setting on my lid

Part of the fun for me is feeling like I’m riding in the dark

Kinda depends on the riding – fire roads and taking it slowly down single track then 600 on the bars and 100 on the helmet is fine, and you are right, it does give a nice feel of you being in a small bubble of light and the night all around you.
    However if I want to go harder/faster or ride more technical or unfamiliar trails, then yes I turn the lights up to full.

Del

Does the weight affect steering at all?

are you serious? 😆

the whole thing is smaller than the lumi with the bottle battery i used to run.

i have a 6 pack. never heard anyone say they want less light, but you can always turn it down…

oscillatewildly
    Free Member

can anyone kindly put a pic up of the new six pack on the bars please? ive got a reflex at the min, just wanted to get a gauge of what its like on the bars in comparison?

thanks

chilled76
    Free Member

Del.. did the bottle battery bolt on your handlebars?

Yes it’s a serious question, it’s 400g (approx 1lb) strapped on the bars.

Del

next to your stem.
    if you’re that worried about it, gaffa tape a can of coke to your bars and see how you go. note that due to ~ 70g difference in weight the test will be representative only. 😆

jonnyboi

chilled76
    Free Member

I’m guessing your response is no it doesn’t affect your steering noticeably

jonnyboi

Is that for me? If so it’s a no, and that’s off road with CX bars. I also rented a maxx D for relentless and didn’t notice it

bonesetter
    Free Member

The MaxxD is immense and all I can ever imagine MTB lights to be, especially when I think back to HID MTB lights

chilled76
    Free Member

Hi Jonnyboi, no sorry that wasn’t aimed at you.

Thanks for the picture of the size though, it’s not as big as dimensions make you think really is it.

Beam spread looks awesome!

doubledunter
    Free Member

One of the best things Ive done last year after my cheapo died mid ride 😕 was spunk out a wad on exposure lights, joystick and maxxd , not tried a 6pack but find the maxxd ample

Viewing 26 posts - 1 through 26 (of 26 total)

The topic ‘Another exposure thread.. sorry. MAXX D VS 6 PACK’ is closed to new replies.