Viewing 14 posts - 1 through 14 (of 14 total)
  • Another disc brake thread, simple noobie quetions
  • The-Swedish-Chef
    Free Member

I'm moving from V brakes to discs on my current bike before getting a new frame and forks and moving over everything.

I've got some Mavic CrossRide wheels which are non Shimano centre lock.

Does this therefore mean that I can't use Shimano brakes period, or just Shimano rotors? Can you mix and match brands?

My frame and forks have disc mountings, I assume these are normal standard ISO. Is there any other type?

What dictates max rotor size?

robbo1234biking

a.) Shimano do 6 bolt rotors as well e.g. http://www.chainreactioncycles.com/Models.aspx?ModelID=756

b.) You can mix and match some brands but people do have some problems with mixing and clashes from what I have heard. I have never had a problem mixing brands however.

c.)You get post mount and IS mount but you can get adaptors for both which will allow you to fit most disc sizes and combinations. Depending on the fork they might be post mount. Most frames have IS mount

d.) Max rotor size is typically dictated by the frame and fork. There should be a statement in the fork manual about the maximum size rotor it will accept similar to the frame

If you no longer have the manual then have a look online as most companies publish the manuals online now!

HTH 🙂

tinsy
    Free Member

Rotors will mix and match no problem, if you choose shimano brakes, see if the dealer will supply 6 bolt rotors instead of the centrelock, most will do this.

All frame mounts are whats known as IS if your forks have a different type it will be a post mount, and shimano brakes are now post mount with an adaptor to make it fit the rear IS mount, if your running 160 rotors the brake will go on the fork with a post mount without the need for a adaptor.

Forks usually specify a max rotor size.

What are your forks and year? and what is your choice of brakes, I will do a bit of googling to make sure it all tallies up for you.

edit, beaten to it…

The-Swedish-Chef
    Free Member

Wow, great response guys.

Frame is a Gray Fisher Malin, most likely 6 years old, Forks are Manitu Six's, again same age and came with the bike.

Not sure on brake brand, but cost wise, XT, Avid Elixir, Hope X2 if found on the cheap. I have no brand preference.

I'm 75kg and ride XC for want of a better description, so was thinking no bigger than 160 would be needed.

robbo1234biking

Manitou Six's are IS mount and so is the frame. Shimano brakes, Avid Elixir's are post mount tpically but you would need an adaptor in any case but there are plenty around. I think Hope X2's are as well.

If you are going 160 then no problem with the rotor size

Front and rear adaptors for Shimano 160's here. http://www.chainreactioncycles.com/SearchResults.aspx?Search=shimano+160+rotor+adaptor

Front and rear sizing are slightly different so you have to bear that in my mind

tinsy
    Free Member

If this is the fork then its a post mount, as far as I know new Hopes are post mount, so are shimano, Avid's are too, but have there own design of little rotating washer things that help to set them up so you cant leave those out.

If you buy a set with 160 each end, all makes should go straight on to the bits you have, you just might have to ditch the adaptor for the front one. The shops should be able to help you out when ordering.

robbo1234biking

Beat you too it again Tinsy 😉 lol

tinsy
    Free Member

Yeah but you might have dropped a point on the fork mount, slow and steady and all that! 🙂

Manitou went post pretty early.

The-Swedish-Chef
    Free Member

You guys rock, thanks a bunch 8)

robbo1234biking

Doh! My bad! Oh well at least researching other people's brake stuff stops me broswing CRC for myself and spending more money whilst I am bored at work!

tinsy
    Free Member

I am avoiding bike shop sites around now in case the kids have to eat luncheon meat for christmas.

oushdi boursh.. swedish chef. & good luck.

odannyboy
    Free Member

just a thought.if you are spending a little cash here and there on brakes, disc wheels, fork upgrades and all the odds and ends that then go with that, would it just me worth considering a new bike and selling all your bits etc?
    its not always that economical and you are also about to go into spring which is bike sale nirvana!!! 😉

The-Swedish-Chef
    Free Member

just a thought.if you are spending a little cash here and there on brakes, disc wheels, fork upgrades and all the odds and ends that then go with that, would it just me worth considering a new bike and selling all your bits etc?
    its not always that economical and you are also about to go into spring which is bike sale nirvana!!!

'tis a fair point.

However I'd idealy like two bikes. I'll keep the Gary Fisher for XC racing, put some rigid forks on it, 1 * 9 gearing, v brakes, get it to around 23lb.

In the interim period I'll get disc brakes then new forks for it. Once that's done I'll get a semi 'ardcore frame (456/Altitiude/Soul) swap all the bits over. Then upgrade bit by bit till bike nivarna and swap the old bits back to the Fisher.

Easy right?!

jond
    Free Member

I've a pair of (post-mount) Sixes on a P7 (circa '03) – the version with gaitors – and they're definitely 160mm max (I guess 165 too) – I checked with Manitou about running a 180/185 on 'em (nope).

>Front and rear sizing are slightly different so you have to bear that in my mind

*usually* for IS mounts a rear 160 caliper is the same as a front 185 caliper – the mounts on the fork add the offset. (You rarely see rear post mounts, FWIW)

(Having said that, I've got a recumbent which uses identical 160mm calipers/disks at both ends, but that's a little oddball)

Viewing 14 posts - 1 through 14 (of 14 total)

The topic ‘Another disc brake thread, simple noobie quetions’ is closed to new replies.