• This topic has 29 replies, 22 voices, and was last updated 7 years ago by toby1.
Viewing 30 posts - 1 through 30 (of 30 total)
  • Another cyclist dies in London HGV incident
  • frankconway

it appears the cyclist did nothing wrong; need I say more?
    I would not be surprised if the HGV had one of those ‘cyclist beware’ stickers on rear nearside; they are pathetic attempts to shift responsibility onto cyclists.
    Better vehicle design with rear view cameras projecting image onto heads up display in the cab integrated into the design would be a start.
    Heavy fines for driver and operator plus multi year driving ban where HGV driver is at fault.

Embedded in the article is a link to another cyclist killed on the roads in London last week.

http://www.standard.co.uk/news/london/cyclist-killed-by-lorry-in-knightsbridge-was-an-italian-prince-studying-business-in-london-a3384161.html

cynic-al
    Free Member

I would not be surprised if the HGV had one of those ‘cyclist beware’ stickers on rear nearside

Well at least you’re not biased.

Bustaspoke
    Free Member

I would not be surprised if the HGV had one of those ‘cyclist beware’ stickers on rear nearside; they are pathetic attempts to shift responsibility onto cyclists.

I doubt it,it’s a foreign truck..

garage-dweller

Very sad 🙁

Nothing more to say really.
    Time for the authorities to do their job and the family and friends to grieve.

scotroutes

Is there another, more detailed, report from where you’ve been able to draw that conclusion?

frankconway

@cynic-al: not biased as it’s self-evident cyclists do not need to be advised to ‘beware’ when they’re within a few feet of a multi-tonne lorry.

@scotroutes: no, it’s a personal opinion and i accept it isn’t supported by evidence (yet). Unless the cyclist was 100% at fault this should be used to support arguments for legislation and more robust sentencing.

As resurrection is not possible why not focus on how to constructively address the obvious problem.

cynic-al
    Free Member

it’s self-evident cyclists do not need to be advised to ‘beware’ when they’re within a few feet of a multi-tonne lorry.

It is? Isn’t undertaking lorries how quite a few have been killed?

CaptainFlashheart
    Free Member

it’s self-evident cyclists do not need to be advised to ‘beware’ when they’re within a few feet of a multi-tonne lorry.

Having ridden around London for years, I would suggest that it isn’t self-evident at all. Sadly, not even slightly.

frankconway

There are different views so how about some suggestions on how to minimise the risk.
    Vehicle design? Ban either HGVs or bikes from nominated congested roads at specified times? Dedicated bike paths – but they would not be used by some cyclists (predicts question in response – how do you know?) Education?

garage-dweller

[quote]
    Having ridden around London for years, I would suggest that it isn’t self-evident at all. Sadly, not even slightly.[/quote]

Sadly not just London. Hugely prevalent issue with people on bikes in urban locations.

Perhaps not the place though to be debating this trend given the freshness of the incident and that it’s still being investigated. Edit or maybe it is. I’m really not sure.
    Edit2 not even sure this was a factor from the article anyway.

ninfan
    Free Member

As I recall the data, this accident seems to be an exception, in that involves an artic type HGV, which IIRC are underrepresented in the accident stats, whereas the really dangerous ones are construction vehicles/tippers.

jambalaya
    Free Member

Sad times RIP.

Maybe the lorry overtook him, they changed lanes ? We don’t know. It’s a big junction, one lane into many depending on which direction they were going.

I have posted before I would ban many lorries from central London at peak times.

Bustaspoke
    Free Member

If the Lorry overtook the cyclist then he should have been aware of the cyclist as he pulled back in as it’s a left hand drive tractor unit.
    However if the cyclist was overtaking the lorry he might have been in the drivers blind spot.

orangeboy
    Free Member

Lorry blind spots are a big issue but some cyclist are also stupid.
    Think there is a lot of education required all round , I live in a quarrying area and see tippers daily when ridibg and they are the least of my worries.

But as always rip after a sad day

CaptainFlashheart
    Free Member

Lorry blind spots are a big issue but some cyclist are also stupid.

^^This^^

By way of illustration…..

Gary_M
    Free Member

not biased as it’s self-evident cyclists do not need to be advised to ‘beware’ when they’re within a few feet of a multi-tonne lorry.

Then why would they go up the inside of a lorry whether it’s indicating to turn or not? All parties need to take responsibilities for their actions, but putting your life at risk by going up the inside of a truck is madness.

nickjb
    Free Member

putting your life at risk by going up the inside of a truck is madness.

Allowing a truck with a massive blind spot on the public roads is madness. These things need a banksman with them when they enter a site but are free to do what they like on the roads. Not saying you shouldn’t look out for your own safety, just that this particular danger shouldn’t be there in the first place.

hammyuk
    Free Member

No sign of that vehicle turning at all on that junction.
    Until the actual report is released everything posted is utter bobbins as to who/what/where/etc.

Gary_M
    Free Member

just that this particular danger shouldn’t be there in the first place.

You’re right, but unfortunately they are on the road, they present a risk to life, so stay away from them. I don’t get why anyone would put themselves in a hugely dangerous situation.

DezB
    Free Member

Until the actual report is released everything posted is utter bobbins as to who/what/where/etc.

Too bloody right. Way this thread has gone, I’m surprised the whether or not he was wearing a helmet hasn’t arisen yet…

Beagleboy

Personally, I think there’s a huge lack of awareness amongst ‘people who ride bikes’, as to the dangers of riding up the inside of trucks and buses at junctions and elsewhere.

As a ‘cycling enthusiast’ I’m well aware of the dangers, and have nearly been caught out a few times. Some, through my own stupidity, and some from the drivers, and because of that, I now know to be very aware of the dangers.

However, on my daily commute, I regularly see people on bikes making what I would regard as life threatening manoeuvres, and I would guess that in the majority of cases those people just don’t realise that the vehicle they are undertaking can’t see them, or will left hook them as it turns at the junction.

I really think the bike riding public, and urban drivers need to be hammered with a lot more high profile information to educate them of the dangers.

:-/

Northwind

Gary_M – Member

I don’t get why anyone would put themselves in a hugely dangerous situation.

I don’t think many people intentionally put themselves in a hugely dangerous situation. I think a lot of people assume that to be allowed on the road, vehicles have to be basically safe. We know otherwise but it’s still pretty counterintuitive.

wobbliscott
    Free Member

This is not a new ‘problem’. When at primary school more years ago than I care to remember I did my cycling proficiency course. I remember clear as day back then being warned not to go up the inside of lorry’s or big vehicles due to blind spots and the dangers of them turning into you, so either hang back or get ahead of them where the driver can see you. Seems like advice that is more relevant than ever but not always heeded.

samunkim
    Free Member

We need to crack on with Bluetoothing everything (Cycles via Smart phones ) on the road.

“Vechicles are stationary on this motorway 300m ahead”

“There is a cyclist 3m behind you on your left”

“You are braking at 100%, I have warned other drivers”

“the average speed of traffic in this queue is 12mph, so stop bunny hopping on the gas pedal”

“The next traffic light will be turning green in 57 seconds”

“There is a an HGV 300m behind you, which is expected to overtake you in 30secs”

“the noise level inside the massive range rover due to over take you in one minute leads me to believe its full of kids or being drive by a football player, do you wish to get onto the pavement till its passes ?”

etc. etc.

crazy-legs

You’re right, but unfortunately they are on the road, they present a risk to life, so stay away from them. I don’t get why anyone would put themselves in a hugely dangerous situation.

Because if you stayed away from every large vehicle on the streets, you’d never get anywhere.

Because what passes for “cycle lanes” in the vast majority of cases (ie not the new properly segregated lanes, just “the rest” of it, even some of those blue paint jobs) actively sends cyclists up the inside of traffic, almost conditioning them to do that when there are no lanes present.

Because the shared use foot/cycle path stuff has a habit of dropping cyclists straight into traffic blind spots at junctions.

Because no matter how many lights, mirrors, sensors and cameras a lorry has, the driver cannot possibly look at all of them at once in such a crowded busy environment.

And because people are fallible and they make mistakes. The trick is to design an environment where those mistakes are not fatal.

bgascoyne
    Free Member

Not good news. Its easy to place blame on either party but in the end it wont change what happened but hopefully it might help stop it happening again if the cause is found. I have cycled to work in London for 9 years now and its unbelievable the things I see. I must admit a lot of it is from cyclists, there are so many people that pay no attention at all (some even have headphones on (really??), pull across lanes without even looking (just chucking a hand out and hoping it will be “ok”), passing inside of cars, trucks, buses at busy intersections where the vehicle is likely to turn, running red lights at the most ridiculous intersections.

I also see drivers do really stupid things as well and I have had a few minor near misses myself – avoided by experience and quick reactions. Its crazy how huge trucks are allowed in the CBD, the roads are so narrow its just a recipe for disaster.

As for how to solve it…..it will never be solved. But i guess its critical for cyclists to
    1 – be aware of what is around you
    2 – stay well clear of buses and trucks in tight sections
    3 – don’t wear headphones, please dont wear headphones!!
    4 – Use lights at night (amazing how many people have no lights at all!!)

I feel for the guy and his family

poolman
    Free Member

Sad news. I cycled into central London for 10 years and had a few near misses, a couple were my fault and as above, it’s mainly experience that keeps you safe.

Such a tragic loss of life, poor chap was only 21.

konaboy2275
    Free Member

Very sad news. I don’t want to comment on this particular incident but in general – I have my LGV Class 2 (now LGV category C) which allows me to drive any rigid bodied truck up to 32 tonnes. I haven’t driven one for over 10 years but could go to the local hire company and get one now to drive away.

I’m not sure how much technical improvements have come on since I last drove one but having done so in the past I am very wary of them on the road when cycling or motorcycling. On open roads where you are moving you have reasonbable awareness of what is around you and can drive accordingly- i.e. your blind spots aren’t as bigger an issue. However when in traffic or stopping and starting you only have a snapshot of what is down your sides when you stop. Anyone can step off or cycle off the pavement next to you and you wouldn’t know and in the dark it is really hard to spot anyone filtering especially it it is raining.

There was a really good video demonstrating blind spots on here a few years ago.

Not wanting to put blame on anyone and really feel for the guy who’s died family but also, if it wasn’t driver error, the truck driver as well who now has to live with the thought that maybe he missed something or could have done something differently.

As to what to do to stop this happening, i really don’t know. Obviously complete gegregation works but isn’t popular and is hard to achieve with existing roads, especially in towns where these incidents seem to happen. Personally I would never filter either side of anything bigger than a transit van, their blind spots are too big and I would rather wait than risk it.

konaboy2275
    Free Member

Found it!

toby1

Walking along a side road from Camden high street this afternoon, guy popped a wheelie as he went through the red light, just for good measure.

Not all people on bikes are road savvy or capable of thinking about their own safety when they should be.

Viewing 30 posts - 1 through 30 (of 30 total)

The topic ‘Another cyclist dies in London HGV incident’ is closed to new replies.