Viewing 34 posts - 1 through 34 (of 34 total)
  • Another CRC rant..
  • Sillyoldhector
    Free Member

I wanted to send some goods out to Nepal. The website indicated that postage would be free but when I tried to check out I was advised to contact the Sales dept. I emailed them, no reply after 2 days, so I rang, asking how much it would cost to send the contents of my basket to Nepal. They didnt know the answer, so put me through to the shipping dept. They had never sent anything to Nepal before but after conferring with the manager, told me to use Singapore as a shipping destination and add a note that it was really Nepal I wanted it to go to. I did this and it came through with free postage.

3 days later I received an email saying as I had changed my shipping destination I now needed to pay £90 postage. I explained I hadnt changed my destination and was following instructions from the shipping dept, but all to no avail, here is their last reply…

I spoke to you via telephone and instructed you to choose Singapore as the destination country as we do not have postal contract for Nepal. You will need to pay postage to get your parcel delivered to Nepal. We do apologise that we do not offer discounted postage rates but the cost of postage to Nepal is too high to discount.

If I hadnt already advised the recipients that the goods were on the way and of the checkout price, Id cancel, but now it looks like Ill be £90 out of pocket for a CRC F*** up.

Rant over

Nick_Christy
    Free Member

……….nice

convert

You didn't really think that you'd get the goods sent out to NEPAL for free did you? This is a wind up isn't it?

Surely you would be better getting the stuff sent to a UK address for free and arrange the shipping yourself. Am assuming you are familiar with the logistics out to nepal so probably can do it cheaper than they can. Doing wierd stuff is always going to be a hassle- for you and them.

Edric64
    Free Member

Maybe you were a bit naive expecting free post to an odd destination which would obviously cost loads. Having said that it sounds like communications were vague from crc

brakes
    Free Member

surely there's a branch of Evans in Kathmandu

Sillyoldhector
    Free Member

convert – Member

You didn't really think that you'd get the goods sent out to NEPAL for free did you? This is a wind up isn't it?

My point, which was also missed by CRC, is that postage to Singapore is free. Why advise me to use Singapore as an option if it bears no relevance to the actual delivery costs?

Not cheaper to get sent to me and the forward to Nepal as then Id have to pay VAT

mollyiom
    Free Member

you can hardly call CRC shite for you making unrealistic demands. have you ever shipped a parcel to nepal from northern ireland? why you would expect a company to ship for free.

Munqe-chick
    Free Member

Quote "I wanted to send some goods out to Nepal"

You didnt want to send goods to nepal. You wanted CRC to send goods to Nepal. For free. I assume you had some idea how prohibitively expensive shipping to nepal would be which is why you didnt follow the obvious route, as convert says, of getting CRC to post it to you and then you organise shipping it to nepal? Have you considered doing this to save the £90? How much will it cost you?

edit based on your response to another poster; Whether CRC can post to singapore for free or not, were they still have to get it from there to nepal, or were you going to organise that leg of the journey? If you were going to sort it from there then fair enough, if you expected CRC to cover that then I revert to my previous argument.

Sounds to me like a communication break down between a phone conversation and using a web-based order form, based on your wholly unrealistic expectations.

No business customer service is perfect but CRC are closer than most. I sent back a full face helmet that was too small, to exchange it. CRC advise to just use first class postage for returns. I sent it recorded at extra cost to guarantee it got there. CRC refunded the difference between recorded and first class post directly onto my credit card off their own backs, which I would have had no right to ask for.

Sillyoldhector
    Free Member

To clarify, I rang enquiring about sending goods to Nepal. I was told to use the Singapore option (which incidentally is further away than Nepal). Postage to Singapore is free, why was I wrong to assume it wouldnt be to Nepal?

meehaja
    Free Member

see, my mum lives in france, i like to send her gifts but most mail order places i use struggle with this or it is too expensive, hence i get things shipped to me, repackage as apropriate and then ship on to my mum in france by royal mail. It appears to me that CRC do not ship to nepal. perhaps they meant that they would ship to singapore for free but you would have to arrange shipping from there onto nepal. either way i don't feel your rant is entirely fair on what is, effectivley a fairly small company on the other side of the world.

danridesbikes
    Free Member

small company? who crc? 😆

coogan
    Free Member

Think too many are jumping on the guy here. It was CRC that told him to use Singapore. And from what I understand from his post, it's been the website flagging 'Free postage' at him rather than him expecting it.

Gordy
    Free Member

Your post read to me like they meant for you to use Singapore because it would be a rough cost equivalent to Nepal, which it clearly isn't. So I'd say they have misled you, yes, but I wouldn't expect them to eat the £90 unless your order is chuffing huge.

richwales

What tyres for the Himalayas?

convert

Just looked – what do you know, CRC do offer free shipping on orders to Singapore over the value of £200…… but "Excluding complete Bicycles or similar sized large packages"

Would your order consistute a complete bike or similar large sized package (to which I'd read anything wheel sized and above)? If no they gave you duff info at the start, if yes it would have probably cost you a wedge to Singapore too.

Sillyoldhector
    Free Member

No, not a bike or a similar sized package and well over £200.

fackit
    Free Member

cancel the order if you're not happy…

Drac

You asked for a quote and it came back as £90, end of.

Tim
    Free Member

and people moan that bike parts are expensive 🙂

JtotheP68
    Free Member

Looking at your original post it would appear that they never said it would be free, they just asked you to put Singapore as the destination so you could complete the order process. They've probably never shipped to Nepal before so when they've looked into it, they've got back to you with the cost.

I cannot honestly see how you expected the shipping to be free to Nepal. If you don't wish to go ahead just cancel your order, I doubt you'll find anyone who'll ship to Nepal for free.

jd-boy
    Free Member

Simple, get the goods sent to you, then you forward them on.Plus you could check them first to make sure they sent the correct items.and why does everyone want everything sent for free these days, if it was not for free credit, free postage, free this and that, the world would not be in a mess money wise at the moment

cynic-al
    Free Member

V. naive to think postage would be free. Why can't you cancel/advise yourcustomers/recipient of the costs?

meehaja
    Free Member

@dan rides bike, yeah i'd say CRC are a small company, compared to like Apple or sony who i bet can get products to nepal!

brant
    Free Member
    wwaswas

I think CRC said – pick singapore and say you want it to go to Nepal as that woudl have two effects;

1) alret the shipping dept that an overseas order was in

2) give them an opportunity to calculate postage and let you know how much it woudl be?

PeterPoddy
    Free Member

I cannot honestly see how you expected the shipping to be free to Nepal

I think you're all getting your knickers in a twist over this!

To me it seems that he didn't hink it would be free either. Read this bit of the OP – "The website indicated that postage would be free but when I tried to check out I was advised to contact the Sales dept"

So, the website said it would be free, but didn't work like that. So he tried to check it out. He was told no different other than it would be free when he made his enquiry, so why should he think it was any different eh?

The point is not that it's going to cost money, but the fact that he was twice told it would be free BEFORE he placed the order to then be stung for £90….. After he's presumably told the recipiant how much it would cost…..

See?

llama

OK maybe they should have made it clearer that there could be a fee and they would get back to you. But £90 seems reasonable to me. I suppose you'll complain if its not there the next day too?

GDRS

Not that this is going to help anyone – but in 1996 when I was travelling I sent three parcels from Kat to my parents in UK.

Two small Parcels arrived about eight weeks later – and one containing some books (which I had to get sewn into a hessien bag (which is another story) took about five months to arrive. Oddly two letters and a post card never made it.

Anyway if any one at CRC comes across the letters in their dispatch office – it's okay my parents know I am safe and sound, so their is no need to forward them.

Nick_Christy
    Free Member

think most of you are pretty harsh tbh.

he called them to ask about the option as its flagged as free shipping, they said to him to chose singapore but the add that it was going to singapore. They didnt tell him he would have to pay. ok he also might not of asked but i would of thought they would of said look we dont have the option for nepal so it might cost, maybe you want to look into it yourself.

The free shipping thingy is confusing for people wanting delivery out of the uk. Last week i went to buy a helmet costing 40 euros in the sale, i didnt buy it waiting for payment from work. Went to buy it yesterday and now its 15 euros delivery ontop. Do i expect free delivery no, but when its said you can then i do expect it.

Good luck with your probs mate and hope you can maybe share responsability together and explain to them on the phone rather than email and pay halfs….

aracer
    Free Member

The point is not that it's going to cost money, but the fact that he was twice told it would be free BEFORE he placed the order to then be stung for £90….. After he's presumably told the recipiant how much it would cost…..

Ah, but was he? Even reading just the side of the story he put, the only one time he was told it was free was when he put the order in to send to Singapore. However he knew it wasn't going there, so was it not obvious that was wrong? Nothing I can see in what he wrote where CRC told him the cost would be the same as sending to Singapore – quite the opposite if anything.

I still don't understand what the big problem is with telling the clients that it will actually cost a bit more, whilst there is still the option to cancel. But obviously that is far too easy.

was told to use the Singapore option (which incidentally is further away than Nepal).

Yeah, Singapore is also further away than the North Pole – they should be able to ship there for free too 🙄

Sillyoldhector
    Free Member

Im glad some people can see the gist of this!! but to once again claify – I didnt expect free postage and rang the shipping dept to ascertain both the best way and the costs of sending my basket to Nepal. They took an afternoon to come back with an answer which was to use Singapore. I did this , payed the total requested amount and thought nothing more of it. 3 days later Im being asked for £90 postage.

Surely the shipping dept of "The worlds largest online bike store" after taking 4 hours to come up with a solution and knowing exactly what i wanted to send could have said use Sinapore as an option but its going to cost you £90?

And once again no it wouldnt have been easier to get the items sent to me and then forwarded to Nepal as then the order would have incurred VAT (as earlier menntioned).

Anyway Ive now paid the money and the goods are on the way…. 🙂

coogan
    Free Member

I understand perfectly what your saying fella. I did in your first post and can't see how others don't get it. Some real muppets on here.

Nick_Christy
    Free Member

hahhaha 😉 i do like some people on here who are frank!

Ti29er
    Free Member

It'll be stolen once it's in Kathmandu anyhow – stuff usually is!
    Last parcel I sent was "inspected".

Viewing 34 posts - 1 through 34 (of 34 total)

The topic ‘Another CRC rant..’ is closed to new replies.