Viewing 19 posts - 1 through 19 (of 19 total)
  • Annoying On-One closed Disc Brake Routing
  • ackie
    Free Member

Hi
    I'm building up a Scandal frame which has closed disc brake cable routing.

Do I have to dismantle my Shimano XT disc brakes and thus re-bleed the buggers or is there a hassle free way??

Please show me the light….

clubber
    Free Member

Yes, unless you just zip tie the cables to the frame.

Or… you can do what I did which the forumers said would cause me to die a horrible death (but stragely didn't…) and cut a diagonal slot in the closed guide so that you can just squeeze the hose in at an angle and then stays in place when straight – worked perfectly for me despite the nay sayers.

firestarter
    Free Member

i just undid one end and carefully threaded the hose thru and didnt need a rebleed

ackie
    Free Member

just zip tie the cables to the frame.

Hmm possible temporary measure

i just undid one end and carefully threaded the hose thru and didnt need a rebleed

Mick which end?

clubber
    Free Member

Ditto, actually, I don't think I've ever had to rebleed but it's still a bit of a faff. I always undo the caliper end.

ackie
    Free Member

Cheers. Thanks for the advice

funkynick

I undid the hose at the lever end on my Deore brakes, at this point I realised that I'd need to cut the end off the hose as I couldn't get the olive off the hose, and it was too big to fit through the hose guide.

I did this, and then realised I didn't have any spare olives or inserts, so had to fiddle it with the old ones (not advisable).

Moral of this story being, make sure you have a new olive/insert when you do this.

Oh, and no need to re-bleed the system, just don't squeeze the lever at all…

clubber
    Free Member

You can just prise open the olive with a screwdriver. New ones are ideal but not essential.

firestarter
    Free Member

i think it was the caliper end iirc mine were formula brakes but im thinking they will all be much of a muchness size wise

TandemJeremy
    Free Member

If you give the lever a squeeze with the caliper off ( not enough to pop pistons) then undo the brake hose at the lever end and thread thru the guides. After refitting pushing the pistons back should push any air bubble into the resovoir

DM52
    Free Member

before removing the hose at the lever end remove the rear wheel and give the leaver a couple of squdges to move the pistons out a bit, re-route cable, re-assemble, take top cap off lever and reset the pistons. If there was any air introduced into the line it should no have been pushed into the master cylinder.

jonb
    Free Member

The first time I just cut the hose at the brake lever end and was very careful. Any air bubbles will be at the lever end so can be relatively easily dsiplaced by pumping thelever. Just remember tocheck the reservoirs after you're done.

The second time I cut slots in the guides to squeeze them in as above.

funkynick

clubber.. you must have different olives to the ones on my brakes as they were squashed and molded tight to the hose. I ended up having to carefully cut it off the hose and then use a drill to open up the olive so it was big enough to get back over the hose… it was a right faff…

So yes, far, far preferable to do it with a new olive as it doesn't take hours of dicking about trying to make it all fit!

zaskar
    Free Member

You can getaway with the old olive but it's so cheap you can pick them up from good LBS.

I did mine after shortening hoses and cut at the lever side.

Shimano brakes are designed to get rid of the air via the lever. I didn't have to reblead either. If you do it at the caliper end, make sure the caliper bleed screw is open before you press the lever as it will move air bubbles around from the pressure. If the air is only in the caliper, then sure it's easy to get rid of by releasing the caliper bleed nipple.

If you cut the shimano brake at the lever, the closed end of the caliper will prevent loss of fluid and air getting in as the insert is tapped in gently and is hollow to prevent air being forced in.

It will drip from your lever if you press it so don't!

Cut at the lever hose, shoten, use new insert and olive for £1.60, reconnect, then undo the brake lever cover and top up then gently press lever and watch the odd bubble clear and the lever should still be tight.

Job done.

I'm glad I used new parts but you can do it with the old bits but funnynick has a point-takes a minute to stick the insert in and a new olive instead of making it fit for sake of flaffing around for ten minutes and besides your brakes could leak-it's your life.

If you're not sure then ask your decet LBS who will give you advice.

Cut the frame? geez just use some cable guide inserts that could screw into them.

But then again most onone's are cheap and the owners are not worried blng as it's there to be used and abused/replaced…ok I'm hiding under a stone now…

Just don't bish/bash/bob your brakes together at least-not stopping could kill you.

I forgive you for buying a onone… 😈

IGMC

clubber
    Free Member

zaskar – it's not a question of cost, just hassle. I've only ever replaced on olive (a Magura one) – every other brand (most except formula) I've been able to reuse the original one.

As for leaking, that's just scaremongering…

zaskar
    Free Member

Hey I agree with you clubber, :mrgreen:

I'm only kidding about costs and Onone frames (I would like one in le bleu') and sometimes you need to get the bike moving even if the parts are not around but I just gave my 10p's worth as I had the same problem but I'd use new parts but thats me being picky and doing it how it should be if done by a LBS.

Even a LBS say you can reuse them but they rather use a new Shimano olive and insert.

He should do it the right way but it's not always the correct way!

😉

racing_ralph
    Free Member

How are the people proposing rethreading the hose back in anticipating getting the shroud nut and also the rubber shroud nut cover through the cable guides also?

epicsteve
    Free Member

Just had a new Inbred frame arrive this afternoon and when I build it up I'll do the same as I did with my current one i.e. just use cable ties instead.

epicsteve
    Free Member

Turns out the new frame has different brake hose routing than my old one, so no problem fitting the brakes this time.

Viewing 19 posts - 1 through 19 (of 19 total)

The topic ‘Annoying On-One closed Disc Brake Routing’ is closed to new replies.