Viewing 40 posts - 41 through 80 (of 121 total)
  • And this is why you can only get a job in a shop…
  • mrsflash
    Free Member

So what do you order instead if they've only got Pepsi?

lemonade.

Dylan08
    Free Member

"mastiles_fanylion – Member
    In Lush at lunchtime…

Me: 'Can I have a £20 Gift Voucher please?"

The most amusing thing is that working in retail you meet pr*cks like this all day long, and kind of get used to (laughing at) them. Obviously getting none at all from Mrs Fanylion 😉

mastiles_fanylion
    Free Member

Yeah Mog – ONLY get a job in a shop. So useless they can't do anything else.

Let's get into a stupid and petty little spat about the title of a thread that was only meant to be an amusing thread about one person's stupidity shall we? I am happy to do it if you are?

mastiles_fanylion
    Free Member

meet pr*cks like this

If meeting a prick like a customer is something a shop assistant gets off on, then all well and good to them. Not entirely sure why I was a prick for asking for a £20 gift voucher though, perhaps you could explain my cockish behaviour – in simple terms please, I am obviously very slow if I cannot grasp why asking for a gift voucher makes me a prick.

coffeeking
    Free Member

Indeed pepsi isnt great, but it does go fine with JD, so no problems for me 🙂

Its just DIET anything that makes my throat feel like it's made of fish scales – euuuuchhh.

grumm
    Free Member

an amusing thread about one person's stupidity

Which person was that then?

If meeting a prick like a customer is something a shop assistant gets off on, then all well and good to them. Not entirely sure why I was a prick for asking for a £20 gift voucher though, perhaps you could explain my cockish behaviour – in simple terms please, I am obviously very slow if I cannot grasp why asking for a gift voucher makes me a prick.

Perhaps your snobby condescending pedantry as displayed on this thread came across to her in your response/tone of voice?

mastiles_fanylion
    Free Member

You tell me Grumm…

grumm
    Free Member

See my edit above your post.

MrSalmon
    Free Member

only meant to be an amusing thread about one person's stupidity

It might be more amusing if there was an actual example of stupidity in it. Did it occur to you that she may get lots of people in who want a £20 voucher and nothing else?

mattsccm
    Free Member

Correct answer to a stupid question if all you wanted was 20 quids worth. You asked for a 20 quid voucher and you got an answer. You were not precise in your question.

mastiles_fanylion
    Free Member

Perhaps your snobby condescending pedantry as displayed on this thread

Sorry – I asked for a £20 gift voucher.

Can you explain to me how I managed to come across as being a snob, a pedant or condescending in one sentence and before I even knew that I was about to be told that they 'don't do £20 gift vouchers'?

Or am I so special that I can anticipate a shop worker's response even before they are able to give it and speak to them in the appropriate manner?

mastiles_fanylion
    Free Member

Correct answer to a stupid question if all you wanted was 20 quids worth. You asked for a 20 quid voucher and you got an answer. You were not precise in your question.

That was covered right at the beginning of the thread – please go back to there, read and repost…

MrFart
    Free Member

@MF

Get over yourself. You base your opinions on a twenty second exchange where a young, underpaid and probably poorly treated girl simply did her job. Says a far deal more about you than about her.

mastiles_fanylion
    Free Member

Did it occur to you that she may get lots of people in who want a £20 voucher and nothing else?

No it didn't. Did it occur to you that a requirement for one £20 gift voucher rather than two £10 vouchers, four £5 vouchers or one £10 and two £5 vouchers would be a really rather peculiar request.

BigDummy
    Free Member

This thread has gone septic. Just back away from it. 😕

mastiles_fanylion
    Free Member

Get over yourself.

LOL – it was only meant to be an *amusing* thread, I think it is those of you that are biting my teeth over this little bit of *fun* are the ones requiring to get over themselves.

But seeing as there are several seemingly unable to 'get over themselves', this could run and run. And as long as these people want to argue the toss with me about it, I will be happy to respond – I find it quite interesting how easy some people find it to rip any thread to shreds because of seeming injustices.

scruff
    Free Member

(MF is now regarded an even bigger nob than TJ).

MrSalmon
    Free Member

No it didn't. Did it occur to you that a requirement for one £20 gift voucher rather than two £10 vouchers, four £5 vouchers or one £10 and two £5 vouchers would be a really rather peculiar request.

Yes it did, but having done my time in shops I know that that is exactly the sort of peculiar request people make all the time.

Still, you know best.

noteeth
    Free Member

mastiles_fanylion
    Free Member

I, too, have worked in the retail sector.

I once was asked how long the chips the customer had ordered would be and I responded 'about two inches'.

Perhaps I am a bit of a cock?

hilldodger
    Free Member

why I was a prick
    my cockish behaviour
    argue the toss with me

Do we have issues in this area then ???????

splatz
    Free Member

What's this got to do with the p*%s taste of pepsi?

OJ and soda.

grumm
    Free Member

I, too, have worked in the retail sector.

I once was asked how long the chips the customer had ordered would be and I responded 'about two inches'.

End of thread.

traildog
    Free Member

This thread is going to keep going back to the fact that your original question was wrong. And then to base your opinion on the poor girl on this short exchange is so wrong that it's bound to resulted in name calling. Perhaps a bit of thought is required before posting?

I just cannot imagine asking for a 20pound voucher unless I wanted just that. Otherwise I'd ask for 20 pounds worth of vouchers. Perhaps she's posting somewhere on armpitsworld.com 's forum about this guy wanting a specific 20pound voucher and how she had to explain that she'd have to give him 2 10pound ones? Posted under the title "and this is why you have to shop in lush…?"

hilldodger
    Free Member

End of thread.

No, we need to know exactly which bit of a cock 😆

molgrips
    Free Member

Basically, it was a bit harsh posting a thread on a forum showing how stupid someone was. That's why people are narked MF.. 🙂

Take note, move on – everyone!

mastiles_fanylion
    Free Member

End of thread.

Agreed – it would be nice.

I just cannot imagine asking for a 20pound voucher unless I wanted just that. Otherwise I'd ask for 20 pounds worth of vouchers.

And I cannot imagine that there would be a barrier to making a transaction because the wording of my request did not compute with the shop assistant in the first place. Had I anticipated that she would struggle in selling me vouchers to the value of £20 unless I specifically asked for them in that manner, then maybe I would have proceeded differently.

And still, after all these responses, those sitting on high are still missing the fact that the original post was only ever meant to be said in jest.

But that is a fact that doesn't really matter to those righteous ones amongst us.

splatz
    Free Member

She's probably got a degree in media studies and this is an art installation for the Tate Modern.

That or it's all on digital cctv to be edited and released as a reality show on some obscure SKY channel later this year showing what shopgirls have to put with on minimum wage.

Laugh? I nearly spent my gift vouchers!!

simonfbarnes
    Free Member

I think we should be grateful that people are willing to work in shops and accept a little truculence …

cinnamon_girl

One of my jobs included scooping up dog sh*t from a field at a boarding kennels. I would be happier doing that again rather than dealing with a bunch of middle-class wannabees.

Get out into the real world and don't judge people by what they do, how they talk etc etc.

C_G
    (working class bred but presumably considered underclass as currently unemployed).

splatz
    Free Member

what sfb says…..although I don't know why we can't just be nice to people who work minimum wage. How difficult can it be?

mastiles_fanylion
    Free Member

truculence

She wasn't truculent – she simply hadn't figured out that she could sell me £20 worth of vouchers as opposed to a £20 voucher. She was quite pleasant actually. And had big bazookas.

🙂

molgrips
    Free Member

Agreed – it would be nice.

And yet you keep coming back for more MF 🙂

Saying that it was 'in jest' doesn't make it any better. In fact it's worse. If you'd simply been complaining of bad service that would be one thing, but posting her up specifically for us to laugh at is much worse!

She was quite pleasant actually.

Everyone that's served me in Lush has been absolutely gorgeous and dead nice. They also look really happy – go figure, as they say over there 🙂

AlasdairMc

Is it just mee that gets slightly annoyed when I ask for a Pint of COake in a pub to be told that they do not do them and you can only get one size? Why the change? They do beer in Pints so why not coke?

Do they serve beer in 375ml Coke-branded glasses? It's all about portion size, the pub's till and stock management system will be set up to sell a set volume of Coke, so they can't dispense a non-standard measure.

BigButSlimmerBloke
    Free Member

Slightly off topic but my favourite shop assistant question is if I stop at a petrol station to pick up a drink when out on my bike in full roadie riding gear is "any petrol?"

My motorbike needed a wash, so I went to the perol station, walked in in all my leather gear, removing my crash helemet as I wasled up to the teller and asked for a token for the car wash.
    "Drive through or jet wash?"

back on topic. You walk into a shop to buy something. They don't have it, but tell you they sell something broadly similar. You can't wait to rush home and post it on STW. Wow, I wish my life was that full and exciting.
    Next, why not go to BurgerKing and ask for a Big Mac and please do let us all know how you get on.

mastiles_fanylion
    Free Member

And yet you keep coming back for more MF

Several of us do.

but posting her up specifically for us to laugh at is much worse!

So in your eyes it is okay to post about bad service, but not when the assistant opens their mouth before engaging brain?

They also look really happy – go figure

The joy at her employment by Lush leaves her in such a state of permanent extacy that the mundanity of actually serving someone whilst employing common sense is a gift she cannot grasp?

mastiles_fanylion
    Free Member

jaffa

Brilliant – just seen this in the tags. The level some people will go to in trying to offend really amuses me.

Go on, whoever posted that up be a man (or woman) and admit to that. I would love to know who it was – do you have the balls?

grumm
    Free Member

She wasn't truculent – she simply hadn't figured out that she could sell me £20 worth of vouchers as opposed to a £20 voucher.

You mean you hadn't figured out to ask for £20 worth of vouchers when that's what you wanted?

mastiles_fanylion
    Free Member

You mean you hadn't figured out to ask for £20 worth of vouchers when that's what you wanted?

I asked for £20 worth of vouchers when asking for a £20 voucher. If I asked for £20 cashback at the supermarket I would not be offended to get two £10 notes passed to me.

MrSalmon
    Free Member

You are eager to believe that she's stupid. Thing is there's nothing in your description of what happened to say that she's stupid, or that she was 'unable' or 'struggling' to 'figure out' what to do.

Viewing 40 posts - 41 through 80 (of 121 total)

The topic ‘And this is why you can only get a job in a shop…’ is closed to new replies.