Viewing 40 posts - 41 through 80 (of 89 total)
  • An intelligent footballer
  • IHN

I have to say that I don’t get the furore.

Well, it’s…

Because people who are black (or ‘of colour’ if we want to use the accepted phrase) face huge amounts of prejudice, maltreatment and discrimination because of the skin colour they have that they did not choose. Choosing to adopt that skin colour ‘for a laugh’, before taking it off again to continue enjoy the privilege that comes with being white (not to say male and wealthy in this case) is seen as distasteful.

There’s plenty of other people he could have chosen to dress up as that wouldn’t have needed him to black himself up.

chakaping
    Free Member

You don’t have to say it actually.

You could keep schtum and respect the feelings of black people who find it offensive.

angeldust
    Free Member

chakaping – Member

You don’t have to say it actually.

You could keep schtum and respect the feelings of black people who find it offensive.

This. Not being black I can’t directly empathise, but if black people say it’s offensive (and I can understand why it might be) that’s enough for me to respect that.

angeldust
    Free Member

To those that ‘don’t understand why it is an issue’, could you ‘black-up’ for a works fancy dress party and not expect to get sacked? I know I couldn’t (not that I’d do it in the first place)…

ticsmon

Just asked six black people at work if the found it offensive and all of them said NO it’s fancy dress. They all found it quite funny.

angeldust
    Free Member

Just asked six black people at work if the found it offensive and all of them said NO it’s fancy dress. They all found it quite funny.

Interesting (if true). And what do you conclude from that? That black people have varying opinions on this? Does that make it okay to black-up? Some white people think it’s funny to dress up as a Nazi for fancy dress. Other white people are shocked by this.

Perhaps you would like to comment on my previous question:

could you ‘black-up’ for a works fancy dress party and not expect to get sacked?

chip
    Free Member

Is it only whit people who can’t black up.?

What if I was Chinese or Indian or mixed race?

tpbiker
    Free Member

Unlike the grid girls thread, i’m going to come down on the PC side this time. I’m sure not all black folks find it offensive, but even if some do, thats enough for me.

As for the thread title, it beggers belief that, whether they agree its inapropriate or not, a high profile individual would post that pic. How stupid can they be.

angeldust
    Free Member

Is it only whit people who can’t black up.?

What if I was Chinese or Indian or mixed race?

No difference imo. Why would it be? Not sure I get why people are so affronted at being told that blacking up is offensive. Do you think it is your right to be able to do so because you don’t understand why it is offensive to some black people?

rene59
    Free Member

I think dressing up as a ‘black person’ in the generic sense isn’t ok however if you are dressing up as an individual it should be ok as long as you are not doing it to exaggerate stereotypes.

Ie dressing up as Mr T would be ok, dressing up as Mr T with big painted on lips and eating watermelon wouldn’t be ok.

Tom-B
    Free Member

*checks date* No I’m right, it is 2017 not 1920.

People that think blacking up is okay are either an imbecile, a racist or both.

tpbiker
    Free Member

I think dressing up as a ‘black person’ in the generic sense isn’t ok however if you are dressing up as an individual it should be ok as long as you are not doing it to exaggerate stereotypes.

Ie dressing up as Mr T would be ok, dressing up as Mr T with big painted on lips and eating watermelon wouldn’t be ok.

I get what you are saying, but even if you aren’t meaning offence, I’m sure someone would take it that way. Given there are million differnt options, id question the motives of anyone that chose that one.

jambourgie
    Free Member

The interesting thing here is that Griezmann will have had lots of interaction with black teammates…

Who probably didn’t give a toss. Generally, the only people who make a big deal about stuff like this are white middle-class people on facebook all playing the ‘I’m more offended than you’ game.

kenneththecurtain
    Free Member

I’m not entirely sure on this.

I mean, if you’re going to fancy dress as a famous person, having the correct skin colour to most accurately portray that person doesn’t seem unreasonable.

km79
    Free Member

I get what you are saying, but even if you aren’t meaning offence, I’m sure someone would take it that way. Given there are million differnt options, id question the motives of anyone that chose that one.

If you are talking about adults I agree, but I would find it a bit sad telling a young kid that they couldn’t dress up as their favourite character or whatever because they are not the same colour.

Then again, maybe they would be happy dressing up as the character minus the blacking up part, or maybe they wouldn’t even think about the blacking up part in the first place. I don’t know, don’t have kids.

karn
    Free Member

I hate fancy dress parties, so this is purely hypothetical, but would it be acceptable for me and my friends to go to fancy dress as one of those South American pan pipe groups?
    How about going as Mexicans ?
    Chinese ?
    Indians ?

How about Ben Kinsglsey’s portrayal of Ghandi ?
    Or the fast show’s portrayal of said Inca bands ?

I’m just interested to see where the line between OK and unacceptable is.

teamhurtmore
    Free Member

Why didn’t he go as one of the white Harlem Globetrotters and save everyone the angst?

mikey74
    Free Member

Tropic Thunder?

angeldust
    Free Member

Who probably didn’t give a toss. Generally, the only people who make a big deal about stuff like this are white middle-class people on facebook all playing the ‘I’m more offended than you’ game.

I’m not offended by it personally. I can understand why some black people might be, and that’s good enough reason for me for it to be socially unacceptable. Do you think this is an issue that was originated by white middle-class people? Really?

Not sure I get why people are so affronted at being told that blacking up is offensive. Do you think it is your right to be able to do so because you don’t understand why it is offensive to some black people?

angeldust
    Free Member

Tropic Thunder?

What do you mean ‘you people’?

angeldust
    Free Member

Oh, and it’s nice to see that some of the usual casual racists, as predicted on page one, have turned up to contribute 🙄

chip
    Free Member

I’m not convinced that a blanket ban on blacking up is the answer.
    This is one of my favourite vids.
    [video]https://youtu.be/AIXUgtNC4Kc[/video]

chip
    Free Member

And what about
    [video]https://youtu.be/OIrTTv_Isho[/video]

angeldust
    Free Member

Before anyone takes that seriously, ask yourself which race is papa lazarou imitating?

jambourgie
    Free Member

Which race is papa lazarou imitating?

Haitian. You massive, massive power-racist.

angeldust
    Free Member

You’re just tetchy as she is my wife now, Dave.
    What’s a power racist?

jambourgie
    Free Member

Dunno, just made it up.

Like a skinhead hitler.

angeldust
    Free Member

You should know, I guess 😆

angeldust
    Free Member

I don’t think that moustache with a skinhead would be a good look

Cougar

This seems a sensible view to me. The key maybe is “are you doing this respectfully?” I know cosplayers who spend thousands of pounds and countless hours recreating the look of their favourite characters; darkening or indeed lightening their skin tones for authenticity seems reasonable in the same way as growing a beard or shaving hair might be.

There will always be someone who takes offence. The question rather might be, is that a justified reaction?

[video]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ceS_jkKjIgo[/video]

For the record, I think the guy in the OP is a dick and his get-up was totally unnecessary. Racist perhaps not, offensive almost certainly so, simply because there was no reason for him to do that beyond reinforcing a stereotype.

Though I’m also conscious, I’m a white guy so I’m probably not in the best position to judge.

chestercopperpot
    Free Member

Don’t worry no more German whips after Brexit.

[video]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3WeQrrexlHM[/video]

captmorgan
    Free Member

So I can only assume that when we made our pal who’s of Cypriot decent dress up as Pat Butcher on his stag do we was being racist or sexist or some kind of ist

howsyourdad1
    Free Member

Don’t assume, think.

mikewsmith
    Free Member

the only time some people seem to think is looking for the exception to the rules (of anything from law to civilised society) in this example if your hard of thinking or just don’t understand file this one with gravity, sure as dropping something heavy on your foot will hurt painting yourself to look black will get you into trouble.

The explanation was up there on page 1, you can muck around and be a minority for an evening and then wash it off going back to your life as it is. Other people face daily racially motivated thinking from simply the colour of their skin.

sr0093193
    Free Member

Whos the racist..

Someone who appreciates the skill and talent of a fellow sporting professional and dresses up as them..

Or white people on the internet continuing to label people by the colour of their skin and assuming they know whats best for those of a different skin colour.

curto80
    Free Member

I don’t believe for a minute that not understanding what’s wrong about “blacking-up” makes someone a racist, but it is pretty ignorant. A good opportunity though to go and do some reading up about how the practice of blacking-up came into being and how closely it’s connected to slavery, white supremacy and systematic suppression of black people, particularly in the US. It was rooted in the reinforcement of ridiculous racial stereotyping and designed to illustrate the superiority of white people over black people. It’s not a very clever thing for anyone to do, whether they intend offence or not, let alone a high profile sportsman who then shares it with the World on social media.

Some pretty worrying themes coming out of this discussion though:
    – it’s not ok to defend racist behaviour by reference to black friends being ok with it. See Series 2, Episode 1’of The Office and the scene with the bread bin “joke”
    – it’s not just “being PC” to call out racial discrimination
    – white people are allowed to be offended by racism without them being guilty of “thinking they know what’s best for black people” (particularly bizarre comment that one)
    – it may “not be as bad as Prince Harry dressing up as a Nazi” – who knows – but that’s not really a relevant test. Both his and Griezemann’s actions showed incredibly bad judgment by highly privileged people who should have a bit more self-awareness.

mt
    Free Member

Those Bacup Morris dancers? How do they fit into the blacking up story then?

angeldust
    Free Member

curto80 – Member

I don’t believe for a minute that not understanding what’s wrong about “blacking-up” makes someone a racist, but it is pretty ignorant. A good opportunity though to go and do some reading up about how the practice of blacking-up came into being and how closely it’s connected to slavery, white supremacy and systematic suppression of black people, particularly in the US. It was rooted in the reinforcement of ridiculous racial stereotyping and designed to illustrate the superiority of white people over black people. It’s not a very clever thing for anyone to do, whether they intend offence or not, let alone a high profile sportsman who then shares it with the World on social media.

Some pretty worrying themes coming out of this discussion though:
    – it’s not ok to defend racist behaviour by reference to black friends being ok with it. See Series 2, Episode 1’of The Office and the scene with the bread bin “joke”
    – it’s not just “being PC” to call out racial discrimination
    – white people are allowed to be offended by racism without them being guilty of “thinking they know what’s best for black people” (particularly bizarre comment that one)
    – it may “not be as bad as Prince Harry dressing up as a Nazi” – who knows – but that’s not really a relevant test. Both his and Griezemann’s actions showed incredibly bad judgment by highly privileged people who should have a bit more self-awareness.

Very well put, with a level of patience for ignorance that I don’t have. Unfortunately, I don’t believe anyone on this thread who doesn’t understand the issue will do as you advise and try and learn more.

bob_summers

Both his and Griezemann’s actions showed incredibly bad judgment by highly privileged people who should have a bit more self-awareness.

Agree totally. Not to defend his actions, but this happened in Spain which is light years behind the UK in terms of racial sensitivity*. Go to any Carnaval celebration in February and you’ll see a lot of kids and adults in blackface. For me it’s shocking, and when I mention this to people, it’s me that’s the weirdo. There is a lot of (what I would call) casual racism in Spain, but on the other hand, people in Spain are seemingly less worried about being a victim of hate crime than in most countries.

Viewing 40 posts - 41 through 80 (of 89 total)

The topic ‘An intelligent footballer’ is closed to new replies.