Viewing 26 posts - 81 through 106 (of 106 total)
  • An hour to save your life, tonight 21.00 bbc 2
  • v8ninety

The open chest resuscitation was an educational factual story about the woman’s last moments and what those that tried to save her did. The family would agree to show this part of it and her face on her behalf, they’d chose not to show her naked breast to preserve her dignity. Same way I will always try to do this when resuscitate in public if at all possible, I really can’t see how anyone thinks otherwise.

I don’t really think anyone thinks that patient’s dignity shouldn’t be preserved, that the wishes of loved ones shouldn’t be respected. (I certainly don’t disagree). I think that those who expressed any feelings about it were commenting more on the ingrained hypocrisy and weirdness of our society, in that we are conditioned to think that being filmed dying and having highly invasive surgical procedures is somehow dignified, but heaven forbid you should see our nipples. The very blurring of said offending flesh is more jarring to an intelligent and mature viewer than if it was not; it’s just a very strange juxtaposition.

It’s like they’re saying “you’re grown up enough to watch a woman die, but not grown up enough to cope with the sight of a female nipple in a non sexual context, without sniggering. It all feels a bit repressed, in a fundamentalist Christian sort of way.

maxtorque

The thing that gets me is that for in individual patients involved, these events represent major, potentially life changing situations. And yet, for the medics, it just another day in the office, and tomorrow will bring another load of patients. How they keep this up, and yet treat everyone with such respect and professionalism is frankly amazing. Not a job i could do tbh.

Drac

g “you’re grown up enough to watch a woman die, but not grown up enough to cope with the sight of a female nipple in a non sexual context, without sniggering. It all feels a bit repressed, in a fundamentalist Christian sort of way.

But that’s not what they’re saying. It’s just case of dignity nothing about coping a look.

v8ninety

But that’s not what they’re saying. It’s just case of dignity nothing about coping a look.

To clarify; my use of ‘They’ in this context refers to the societal ‘They’. The ‘They’ who influence my four year old to worry that the changing cubicle at the swimming baths hasn’t got a lock on; “what if someone sees us Dad?” he said. 😐 it made me a little bit sad; ‘They’ have got to him. Anyway, I digress; its that ‘They’ who make people think that having a nipple exposed whilst undergoing a thorocotomy in public view and on then TV is undignified; Yeah, it’s the nipple that made it undignified. That’s just plain surreal to me.
    I don’t question that patients/relatives wishes should be respected; I’m just sad/irritated/befuddled/whatever at a society that is offended by(or can’t be trusted to deal with) a nipple. People are weird.

Bez

Good grief this thread is beyond depressing.

The very blurring of said offending flesh is more jarring to an intelligent and mature viewer… It’s like they’re saying “you’re grown up enough to watch a woman die, but not grown up enough to cope with the sight of a female nipple”

No, they’re not saying anything about you, or about anyone else who’s crassly banging on about it on here. Stop thinking that you’re the important one, that you’re the one that deserves respect from the programme. You’re not.

I can only apologise for prolonging this rotten discussion 🙁

Drac

I don’t question that patients/relatives wishes should be respected

Leave it there then.

v8ninety

No, they’re not saying anything about you, or about anyone else who’s crassly banging on about it on here. Stop thinking that you’re the important one, that you’re the one that deserves respect from the programme. You’re not.

Didn’t watch it. Don’t think ‘I’m the important one’. My view is that the whole thing is a bit odd; it’s making entertainment out of people’s most painful, tragic moments. It’s tapping into the rubbernecking instincts of the masses to obtain viewing figures, which translate into profit for the program makers. the blurred breast thing just highlights the weirdness, to me at least.

I can’t imagine why anyone would give permission to broadcast images of their loved ones in situations like this to the general public for entertainment purposes at all; the censorship issue is a weird irrelevance. There are some things that don’t need to be seen.

Drac

Didn’t watch it.

Ah exercising your right to outraged.

v8ninety

No Drac, exercising my right to comment, and have an opinion that differs slightly to yours. Is that okay with you, or are you going to continue to exercise your right to snipe, without actually offering reasons for your differing opinion? Is there something that makes your opinion more valid than mine, which means that you don’t need to justify it?

Scapegoat

Yeah, you’ve made your point, now please leave it. Those of us that have watched the programme and want to discuss the incredible work these professionals do, want to be able to do so without having to wade through or skip paragraph after paragraph of frankly irrelevant bullshit. If you had watched the programme, you may have been left with the same sense of wonder that I was. Truly outstanding people.

deadlydarcy
    Free Member

They blurred out one of the babies’ private bits in the programme last night too! I mean REALLY!

project
    Free Member
    Drac

Tonight’s looks like it’s going to be even better.

That poor girl is struggling and they’re again fighting all they can to help.

Drac

REBOA on scene. WOW! Just WOW! 😯

ernie67

Blown away watching this …AGAIN.
    Just amazing,absolutely amazing

Drac

I really am lost for words again. So proud to be part of the NHS that was amazing.

hora
    Free Member

Lost for words

richmars

It’s not just the obvious medical skills that’s impressive, it’s the team work. There’s no team meeting, project plan, or any of the other management tools that we’re told we need. Just skilled, dedicated people acting together.

wanmankylung
    Free Member

I remember watching that guy in a different programme doing the first REBOA in the UK. That was a great series showing the best of human endeavours. The NHS aint bad.

hooli

Fantastic episode again last night, whatever these people get paid, it is not enough. It must be mentally draining dealing with things like that day in and day out.

With the girl who lost her leg, quite scary when they mentioned that they have seen plenty of people with similar injuries not make it because they didn’t get the same treatment at the roadside.

stumpy01

richmars – Member

It’s not just the obvious medical skills that’s impressive, it’s the team work. There’s no team meeting, project plan, or any of the other management tools that we’re told we need. Just skilled, dedicated people acting together.

+1.
    Along with the calm attitude under pressure, knowing that you have to get something done quickly & do it right or someone is going to die!

Properly amazing people doing this thing day in, day out without batting an eyelid.

Same for all of our emergency services, to be honest.

project
    Free Member

amazing people, nhs staff, the patients and all involved in the programe

lowey

That was staggering. Totally in awe.

noteeth
    Free Member

It’s not just the obvious medical skills that’s impressive, it’s the team work.

Absolutely.

jam-bo

I watched the neonatal episode last night. Was a little close to home and even more so when I realised the surgeon was the same one who carried out a very similar operation on my son. The last time I saw him I was signing a release form.

There are times I begrudge paying tax, but seeing things like this make me realise how fortunate we are to live in a first world country and its worth every penny in tax we pay.

Viewing 26 posts - 81 through 106 (of 106 total)

The topic ‘An hour to save your life, tonight 21.00 bbc 2’ is closed to new replies.