Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)
  • Amy ICE experts in das hais?
  • cynic-al
    Free Member

So my Smart has an active crossover and runs the rear channels to dash mounted tweeters. These have a 10mm voice coil and a cap in series to give a crossover of 9khz. I’m told a subwoofer helps a lot and running a hifi speaker as one, off the bass feed (with cobbled together crossover) certainly helps.

My Qs:

1. A larger tweeter should help? The midband sounds a bit poo.

2. Are these active subs any good? Size of A4 paper and 4″ thick. Can they really chuck out as much good bass as a 10L bass reflex? Buying proper crossover components and making my sub will cost more than buying one?

3. If you use these active subs, do you just “turn the bass down” on the mid driver?

2unfit2ride
    Free Member

Are you sure you have an active crossover with a cap?
    I have never seen a car with that standard & if it was the rear channel wouldn’t be running the front tweeters.
    Just what are you trying to achieve?

Decent sound in a car will cost… a lot!

stevemuzzy
    Free Member

Crossovers just seperate sound frequencies. They dont amplify it. You really need a tweeter for high 4/5/6inch mid and a sub but all channels need amped really.

Active just means a built in amp but needs a low level input ie RCAs.

Are you just looking to get louder or clearer?

2unfit2ride
    Free Member

An active crossover requires a dedicated amp for each frequency, ie tweeter, mid, midbass, sub, & the same again barring the sub for the rear, that’s assuming you have space for an entire rear set up in a smart.

Edit, caps work with passive systems with one amp & multible speakers to stop sending the wrong frequency to an inappropriate speakers, ie bass to a tweeter.

chickenman

It would be “in dem Haus” or “im Haus” as the preposition takes the Dative when you are in the house rather than heading towards it… 😈
    What’s ICE btw?

cynic-al
    Free Member

Das Haus

I know the principles, there are no rear speakers, and I know it’s an odd set up, but the woofers have their top end attenuated (you can switch to dull range only which leaves out the tweeters) so it seems to be how it works (and it’s described as such on a forum guide).

Looking to get it clearer – taking bass out of the mid driver made a huge difference, but I know it can be improved.

So, any experience if these active subs?

2unfit2ride
    Free Member

Start with listing the kit you have, your going to need a spare RCA output to get a decent active sub, but in short it will make a huge difference to the low end, but not midbass.

Cheers.

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)

The topic ‘Amy ICE experts in das hais?’ is closed to new replies.