Viewing 40 posts - 121 through 160 (of 280 total)
  • Amazing danny!
  • buzz-lightyear
    Free Member

“apart from a little slide”

Was that a mistake, or was he cutting the corner to avoid the outside line?

Northwind

buzz-lightyear – Member

Was that a mistake, or was he cutting the corner to avoid the outside line?

Intentional line, probably didn’t intend to slide it like that but he was miles faster through there than the competition, the wider line was safer but slower. (and I think is where Gwin ended up crashing out, while trying to make the more ridden line faster)

robsoctane
    Free Member

@druish: do you mean we should be watching videos of people cycling to work or the shops?

He cut the corner… 😉

druidh
    Free Member

robsoctane – No. I’m just responding to Brakes comment about public awareness.

Awesome run and how can anyone not love Rob warner – he’s a leg end…

Rorschach
    Free Member

But for 99.999% of cyclists, that performance is absolutely nothing to do with what they do.

I can totally relate to (Sir) Chris Hoy though 🙄

Brycey
    Free Member

“But for 99.999% of cyclists, that performance is absolutely nothing to do with what they do.

I can totally relate to (Sir) Chris Hoy though”

You took the words out of my mouth.

gravity-slave
    Free Member

Who is this Danny Hart fella anyways? He’s awesome.

Danny is a downhiller who has been racking up some serious race wins for some time now – check out his Juvenille and Youth race history – undefeated in NPS and SDA 2007!

http://www.rootsandrain.com/rider795/danny-hart/results/

Amazing performance. He’s a nice guy and not too shabby on an MX bike either!
    Still, he’s come a long way from winning SDAs to winning the World Champs. I’m still buzzing, can’t imagine how he feels. Nice one Danny.

robsoctane
    Free Member

@druidh: sorry mate! 😳

Roulercoaster
    Free Member

Truly incredible run. GB also won the team, with Brendan fairclough in 4th and Marc Beaumont in 6th. And that was without GA, who crashed, and Peaty etc

http://www.cyclingnews.com/races/uci-mountain-bike-world-championships-cm-2/elite-men-downhill/results

tazzymtb

fantastic riding, that was ace to watch!

Bez

Schwalbe are going to have to buy a bigger cash register 🙂

neallyman
    Free Member

But for 99.999% 100% of cyclists mountainbikers, that performance is absolutely nothing everything to do with what they do.

Control, poise, flair, bike handling, fitness/stamina, balls etc etc.

No place in this thread for any negative comments, no matter how much you’ve convinced yourself they are relevant to the discussion.

Coyote
    Free Member

But for 99.999% of cyclists sports fans, that performance is absolutely nothing to do with what they do

People who watch any sport *usually* enjoy watching[/i] it at the best level whilst doing it to the best of their abilities. I take riding to new levels of mediocrity but holy flirking schnite I enjoyed watching that!

Blower
    Free Member

Because Hamsterley is that wet 11 months of the year.

yep,still a slight difference in hamsterley to champery.

neninja
    Free Member

Being a tyre geek, anyone know what rubber he was running?

Re-badged Dirty Dan’s so available to all.

I’ve used the XC variety and sadly they didn’t make me ride like that.

Well done to him – awesome run in those conditions.

yoshimi

I remember writing and complaining to the BBC about the lack of coverage when Peaty won – the reply came back that as it wasn’t an Olympic sport they didn’t have the resources.

That just doesn’t cut it for me………if team GB won the tidlywinks* world championships I’d be interested and think the Beeb have a responsibility to at least look into and report such GB achievements.

*insert any sport/activity you don’t follow here

buzz-lightyear
    Free Member

“BBC … they didn’t have the resources”

That is nonsense isn’t it. A handful of paragraphs and few pics on the Sport webpage – is that too expensive?

I suspect that the mainstream sports journalists themselves are not interested or knowledgeable enough to write about it.

carlphillips
    Free Member

fail..! non embedded video of warners run failed content!!
    im a pc dullard!!
    try here! its an eye opener to how fast hart was going!!!

yunki
    Free Member

I remember writing and complaining to the BBC about the lack of coverage

maybe it’s because only a few hundred people are interested..

bigjim

The first tyore looked like a dirty dan but the ones behind it looked different, with the different side knobs? /geek

davidtaylforth
    Free Member

I suspect that the mainstream sports journalists themselves are not interested or knowledgeable enough to write about it.

Downhill mountain biking. Its a niche sport with an odd image, done by a few and is inaccessible to many. I’m not suprised the BBC dont cover it. Why does it bother you that much anyway?

bigjim

It is shame it isn’t on the mainstream news a bit more, I think the problem is with mtb’s xc race roots, it was always really dull watching race coverage, so no has ever turned onto reporting it even though DH is considerably more exciting viewing. We get some decent maisntream TV coverage up here in scotland when the show comes to Fort Bill on the news and the Adventure Show. I remember when the Grundig XC came to Strathpeffer in about 1992, although it was quite exciting standing on the steep bit of the course and the general race atmosphere was good, the TV coverage was just terrible to watch even having been there, just some muddy guys going along at 9mph.

buzz-lightyear
    Free Member

maybe it’s because only a few hundred people are interested.

Sorry to contradict you, but 21,000 views of the Mens DH replay so far. I imagine quite a few folks watched it live too.

Popularity v.s. coverage is a chicken and egg problem. People don’t know what they like until they see it. Who would have thought, prior to the experiments in colour transmission ~1969, that TV coverage of Snooker would be so popular?

yoshimi

maybe it’s because only a few hundred people are interested..

Rubbish! Not everyone is a hardened DH fan but I’m sure most cyclists appreciate and are interested in most disciplines of cycling – if a British rider had excelled and won a world champs in either BMX, road, track, trials, bicycle polo, bicycle speedway, penny farthing racing then surely any cyclist would be interested.

Like Buzz said, a few paragraphs and photo on the sports website at the very least would be justified in this case.

neallyman
    Free Member

Downhill mountain biking. Its a niche sport with an odd image, done by a few and is inaccessible to many. I’m not suprised the BBC dont cover it. Why does it bother you that much anyway?

You mention niche sport, odd image, inaccessible to many? How’s about Amy Williams winning the ‘skelton’ gold. Surely a sport doesn’t get any more obscure/random/niche/inaccessible than that. Yet the sports media in this country creamed their metaphorical panties over her gold medal even though nobody in the country even knew it existed as a sport prior to her success. Just an example.

I don’t disagree with you David but these issues are not the point. It’s all about being either an Olympic sport (or not), and DH is not, rightly or wrongly. But (in my view) that reason alone shouldn’t relegate it to where it is in terms of coverage. If it’s good enough for some bird sledging on a tin baking tray then it’s good enough for ANY form of cycling as a UK success story!

yoshimi

Why does it bother you that much anyway?

I just think its a shame – after what Dannys done then it would be nice to acknowledge it. Its not just a small race its the world champs and BRITISH Broadcasting Corporation SPORT website should celebrate any British sportsman/woman that achieves great things.

cows_in_cars
    Free Member

quote]neallyman – Member

But for 99.999% 100% of cyclists mountainbikers, that performance is absolutely nothing everything to do with what they do.

Control, poise, flair, bike handling, fitness/stamina, balls etc etc.

No place in this thread for any negative comments, no matter how much you’ve convinced yourself they are relevant to the discussion.

POSTED 3 HOURS AGO # REPORT-POST

Exactly!

I think the comment
    “But for 99.999% of cyclists, that performance is absolutely nothing to do with what they do.” is possibly the stupidest comment I have read on here in a very long time (not calling you stupid druidh, just the comment), what is our sport about if it’s not to do with skill, fitness e.c.t?
    And as said above there is no need for negative comments at all, it should be a thread about celebrating an amazing achievement and a truly superb piece of bike riding.

yunki
    Free Member

Sorry to contradict you, but 21,000 views of the Mens DH replay so far. I imagine quite a few folks watched it live too.

Rubbish! Not everyone is a hardened DH fan but I’m sure most cyclists appreciate and are interested in most disciplines of cycling

whilst I agree wholeheartedly with the sentiment, it’s an unfortunate shame that only 21 000 people worldwide have watched the vid..(without discounting the hardcore fans that have watched it 10 or more times in slow-mo to pick up on tread patterns etc [see above]..) probably with many in countries with a more mainstream interest in the discipline..

I imagine that there is a big difference between the number of bbc watching cyclists and bbc watching cycling obsessives.. the majority of cyclists exist outside of nerdy internet forums and many of them will not even be aware that cycle polo or downhill racing exist.. much less know of any international contests..

I like cooking but it doesn’t neccessarily mean that I like watching cookery competitions..

davidtaylforth
    Free Member

I just think its a shame – after what Dannys done then it would be nice to acknowledge it. Its not just a small race its the world champs and BRITISH Broadcasting Corporation SPORT website should celebrate any British sportsman/woman that achieves great things.

Fair comment. I couldnt really care less who wins at these races, whether its a young british lad or not, doesnt really make any difference to my enjoyment of cycling.

I imagine Danny is chuffed to bits though, regardless of whether it gets a mention on the bbc!

buzz-lightyear
    Free Member

Its a niche sport with an odd image, done by a few and is inaccessible to many. I’m not suprised the BBC dont cover it. Why does it bother you that much anyway?

I don’t ride DH myself, but I suppose two things bother me (slightly) about this:

1. Cyclists and cycling in all formats are largely considered a nuisance in England. More positive coverage in the media would help everyone.

2. British DHers have achieved so much, with very little national support and infrasructure, and little recognition.

The Olympic angle is interesting. People want the UK to win medals as a sort of national affirmation. They happily indulge on minority sports* if there is a hope of a gold medal.

As for Danny, that run could become legendary. I’m tempted to turn up at a national just to see him race!

rightplacerighttime
    Free Member

Not sure that Snooker is an olympic sport as yet, but that has had a fair bit fo coverage on the BBC over the years.

They’ve got a long way to go yet though until the likes of this makes the mainstream sports news, when they aren’t even covering Wiggo in the Vuelta.

Shame really as it would also probably make the Beeb seem relevant to all those kids on their DH/Jump bikes if they gave it some coverage, instead of maintaining its middle class aloofness as the top network for rowing coverage.

FunkyDunc
    Free Member

Is the Vid on Vimeo any where? Unfortunately I cant view Youtube at work, and I would be interested to watch this*

* During a break period of course…

rightplacerighttime
    Free Member

Of course, we could all vote for him in the BBC Sports Personality of the Year awards.

buzz-lightyear
    Free Member

“BBC Sports Personality”

Never quite sure this is supposed to reward: sporting achievement, having been watched a lot on TV, or having a TV friendly personality?

cows_in_cars
    Free Member

I also agree with the comments that the BBC should be giving it at least some coverage but also would add, Singletrack world had no real coverage of the worlds at all, there has been one cobbled together report that Danny and Manon won and Rachel Atherton coming second, nothing about Annie Last and Fionn Griffiths picking up silver medals in their respective events. Or the other top performances Grant Ferguson , Lewis Buchanan and Brendan Fairclough.

How do we expect the wider media to take notice of race results when one of the most popular websites/press for our sport doesn’t cover the event?
    Think is a sad reflection of our sport that eurobike gets more coverage than athletes performing the sport to the highest degree.

rightplacerighttime
    Free Member

Think is a sad reflection of our sport that eurobike gets more coverage than athletes performing the sport to the highest degree.

Come on…

… new headset standards are very important.

BoardinBob

But for 99.999% of cyclists, that performance is absolutely nothing to do with what they do.

Skiing gets an entire show devoted to it on a Sunday afternoon on the BBC yet their performance is absolutely nothing to do with 99.9% of the viewers

richmtb

First off, that was simply amazing, I stuck the video up on facebook and I even had a couple of non-cyclists telling me they had no idea a bike could be ridden that fast.

DH and 4X would undoubtedly be more popular if they got wider coverage. But the trouble is they only time niche sports like this get any coverage is at the Olympics.
    So every 4 years we get to see niche sports at the highest level in our living rooms. If they prove to be popular (or GB does well) they tend to get more coverage eg track cycling recently.

So the only way we will see increased coverage is if these events get Olympic status

BoardinBob

Downhill mountain biking. Its a niche sport with an odd image, done by a few and is inaccessible to many. I’m not suprised the BBC dont cover it

They’ve got an entire section devoted to “other” sports

http://news.bbc.co.uk/sport1/hi/other_sports/default.stm

I didn’t realise there were millions of netball fans in the UK…

Viewing 40 posts - 121 through 160 (of 280 total)

The topic ‘Amazing danny!’ is closed to new replies.