Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 42 total)
  • Am I on a slippery slope…
  • the-muffin-man

…I’m starting to quite like the odd country music song.

Please help – is there a help-line I can call?

How did it come to this – I used to be in to metal in my younger days.

…or are there any country artists you’d recommend!?

PrinceJohn

Might I suggest listening to Johnny Cash’s American Albums

deadlydarcy
    Free Member

Nothing wrong with a bit of country…but like all genres, it’s all about the sub-genres. 😀

Might be an idea to have a listen to Bob Harris Country – hear what you like and take it from there. There’s so much out there that never really makes it to our airwaves. Spotify have some good playlists. Depends on what kind of gateway drugs you’re looking for.

sweepy
    Free Member

[video]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sPocWt4V5Bo[/video]

His grandad was good too

jon1973
    Free Member

You think that’s bad? I’m sitting here enjoying a nice cup of camomile tea.

BillMC

Check out Hank Williams, a major influence on loads of subsequent musicians . Plus Promised LAnd. By ……

jate
    Free Member

Over this side of the pond we tend to associate country music with the traditional Nasvhille sound, and whilst there’s nothing wrong with that music, there are many other strands of more “alternative” country which I tend to prefer (what people might I guess call “roots” music).
    As above, Hank Williams is the granddaddy of “alt-country” but also worthy of consideration are Gram Parsons (albeit he hated being called a country star), Steve Earle, Townes Van Zandt, Emmylou Harris, Alison Krauss & Uncle Tupelo.
    In fact, get yourself a copy of Uncle Tupelo’s final album Anodyne.

bikebob

Try anything and everything by Johnny cash. There will be no going back.

globalti
    Free Member

Watch the video of Dixie Chicks singing Sin Wagon live…. then you’ll be hooked!

BigDummy
    Free Member

Steve Earle and Townes Van Zandt as already noted. I’ve got Heartless Bastards on at the moment, who probably aren’t country but sound it often.

Tout are different and interesting. “Americana” rather than country perhaps…

🙂

anagallis_arvensis

Townes Live at the Old Quarter best album in the world ever. FACT.
    Also check out Guy Clark The Cape is an amazing song as is Immigrant Eyes. Cash rated Clark as one of his fav song writers. Blaze Foley wrote some good songs too Clay Pigeons for example.

Townes Van Zandt is the best song writer in the world and I’ll stand on Bob Dylans coffee table as say so” Steve Earle.

“I’ve met Bob Dylan and his body guards and I dont think Steve Earle would get anywhere near his coffee table” Townes Van Zandt.

anagallis_arvensis

Oh and Kris Kristofferson, yes really that bloke from Convoy. Awesome song writer. Billy Dee, Me and Bobby Mcgee, Closer to the bone, sunday morning coming down, jody and the kid and here comes the rainbow.

BigDummy
    Free Member

Townes Van Zandt is the best song writer in the world and I’ll stand on Bob Dylans coffee table as say so” Steve Earle.

We saw Earle live a few years ago. He was touring with his album of Townes van Zandt covers. I recall him saying something like “this one’s by Townes…. people like it more than they like my stuff”.

He was ace.

🙂

nickc

The Civil Wars

slowoldman

I used to think it was dreadful but segued into it from Bluegrass. Quite like it now.
    Do not go anywhere near Garth Brooks. Hateful stuff.
    Read “In the country of country” and use that as a discography.

My particular recommendations would be Emmylou Harris (and Spyboy) and Buddy & Julie Miller.

thomthumb
    Free Member

chris gaines

hels
    Free Member

I’ll throw in The Handsome Family for some Goth Country (it’s a thing !) start with “In the Air”.

lemonysam
    Free Member

I’ll stick Todd Snider’s name in too.

MrWoppit
    Free Member

Yes.

zippykona

George Jones is the man. I can’t stand that Bob Harris auto tuned crap that he plays on radio 2. It’s just bland music sung by someone in a hat with all feeling digitally removed.

binners

I’ll never forget the sickening sense of shame I felt as a result if this…..

[video]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PRahDqKvjAs[/video]

I walked into HMV (wearing a disguise, obviously) and muttered under my breath to the spotty urchin ‘could you tell me where the country section is please? 😳

At least with downloads you don’t have to endure that kind of public shame any more

collinstiffee
    Free Member

Chris Whitley recorded some excellent stuff.
    “Living with the Law” is a very nice CD. he was more country rock/blues though.

molgrips
    Free Member

Does your truck have curtains but your house doesn’t?

chambord
    Free Member

careful now folks, I don’t know what the forum rules are with regards to mentioning or going so far as to recommend this type of thing…

robdob
    Free Member

Anyone who makes jokes about country music just sounds ignorant in my book. I used to manage a music shop and we used to have loads of discussions about which music was good and which was crap. The consencus was always “people like different things, just listen to what you like, not what other people say you should like”. I learnt to like all sorts of music as I was intrigued by album covers in the store, so used to play them over the store system.

I learnt to enjoy particular sub-genres of Jazz/Big Band/Country/Classical/Metal etc etc but the only ones I still dont like are most World Music and reggae, but that’s ok of course.

Country music I’ve gotten into a lot more, there are some great established acts mentioned above and a LOT more appearing nowadays with all different styles. I like the fact that they arent afraid to sing about any subject, it tends to be direct and from the heart, and they sing about stuff that matters to them but that many others can relate to.

I like Brad paisley, great mix of songs and amazing guitarist. Try “Mud on the Tyres” or This is Country Music” which are my favourites of his. I just bought the Eric Church live album “Caught in the Act” after seeing him on a Country at the BBC programme, his live stuff is amazing. I also like Tim McGraw too.

There was a popup R2 country station on recently when the Country to Country festival was on a few weeks ago – there were some great programmes on there going through all types of the music. I especially loved the Country in the UK programme, some great artists coming from the UK putting a UK style on the tradiotional country style, not folk but something new and really good.

I still listen to hardcore punk/Dire Straits/Pink floyd and loads of other vastly different music – theres so much good stuff out there!

Daisy_Duke
    Free Member

ok, I admit I’m a big country music fan. I was one of the only genres I thought I’d never enjoy. I used Steve Earle as my starting point and never looked back. Bob Harris on radio 2 is fab and is pretty wide ranging. I’m not a fan of the stadium artists like Garth Brookes/Keith Urban. Its all a bit sugary for me. Nothing wrong with a tiny bit of Dolly, but not really my bag. Check out Chris Knight, Gillian Welch, James McMurty, the Jayhawks, Wilco, Lucinda Williams, Rhonda Vicent, Ryan Adams, Steve Earle to name but a few from my spotify list. Can I just add that Shania Twain is not funking country music. Enjoy

Daisy_Duke
    Free Member

Robdob, love Brad Paisley to… 😳

duffmiver
    Free Member

Johnny Cash, John Denver, Taylor swift.

core

bikebob – Member
    Try anything and everything by Johnny cash. There will be no going back.

This ^

27 yr old here, cruising around with 4 or 5 Johnny Cash CD’s in the car, very little else gets a look in on the whole.

the-muffin-man

Thank you for all your supportive responses – it seems there is a way through this difficult period!

I shall crank up Spotify next time the wife is out of the house, not sure I’m ready to come out into the open about this yet. I need to come to terms with it myself first.

finbar
    Free Member

Old Crow Medicine Show. And Taylor Swift’s first couple of albums (nope, not being ironic).

RustySpanner

Who cares anymore?
    [video]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ksrf79kyN1g[/video]

S’all good.
    [video]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1T5NuI6Ai-o[/video]

🙂

molgrips
    Free Member

Johnny Cash is shite.

badnewz
    Free Member

I like old Hank Williams and late Johnny Cash.
    The recent stuff out of Nashville is IMO over-produced and lacks soul. I tried to listen to a live acoustic session by Brad Paisley and it was awful, a lot of the new stuff is testament to the quality of the technical engineers in the Studio rather than the songwriting skills of the artist.

BobaFatt
    Free Member

Jason Isbell. Formerly of Drive By Truckers. I tried his Southeastern album a few weeks back on a whim and it’s not been far from my CD player. Some songs are heartbreaking.

[video]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NaUCDqWzy1k[/video]

muppetWrangler
    Free Member

It’s about the saddest song I’ve ever heard.
    [video]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1iRvKFjKgyw&spfreload=10[/video]

Frankenstein
    Free Member

Does John Denver count? 😳

finbar
    Free Member

Thanks Bobafett – really enjoying listening to Jason Isbell.

BobaFatt
    Free Member

Glad to help Finbar

New album due in July. A couple of albums available as Jason Isbell and the 400 Unit. Also got me listening to Amanda Shires (also his wife) Drive By Truckers and Lucero

Uncle Tupelo is also worth a listen, more Americana than country, a bit more rocky but the predecessor to Wilco

anagallis_arvensis

If you only like the late Cash American Recordings stuff you need to find a copy of his Folsom Prison albumn.

Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 42 total)

The topic ‘Am I on a slippery slope…’ is closed to new replies.