Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 62 total)
  • Am I an ungrateful nobhead? ( frame replacement content )
  • sputnik
    Free Member

Having recently discovered a crack in my frame, and the frame still within its warranty, I returned it to the shop I bought it from and they contacted Giant who have sent them a replacement frame.
    No problems so far. I received a call from shop to say I can pick up my bike today ( they kindly swapped the bits over to the new frame).
    My concern is that according to the shop the frame is different in colour to my original. The original was a 2007 frame, and according the the shops description the replacement is 'black with silver writing'.
    After a look on the Giant archive it appears I have being given a frame in the 2006 styling .
    If I was given a new frame in the 2008 styling I would have felt better about it.
    It just seems to me like a bit of a downgrade ( the 2006-2008 frames are physically identical though) .
    I am picking it up this morning and wonder if I should make my feelings know to the guys at the shop, or am I being an ungrateful nobhead ?

My bike that I bought in 2007

The 2006 frame

The 2008 frame

kevonakona
    Free Member

the 06 is nicer than the 07 but the 08 is nicest. purely on looks and i'm quite shallow so…..

sputnik
    Free Member

Kev, I forgot to add that I have the same seat as the top pic , just in white, and it goes nice with my cream/carbon frame. Not sure how it will look with the naked carbon.

dangerousbeans
    Free Member

The 08 frame is sort of black with silver writing as well, mind, if you've only had an over the telephone description.

tinsy
    Free Member

I like the 06 best from the pictures, but I do see your point..

It should look ace with your white and silver bits on it.

glenncampbell

It will look awesome – new shiny stuff = good!

DickBarton

Are you sure it is a 2006 model and not the latest model (perhaps in the frame-only variant)?

Seems rather strange that Giant have kept a stock of older bikes in case there are any needing replaced…all the frame replacements I've heard of are replaced with the current year version.

sputnik
    Free Member

The best case scenario will be the latest model ( XTC Advanced SL woohoo! ), and the worst case scenario will be the 2006 one. I have also heard that they replace with current years version, hence my concern that I have been downgraded. I agree that shiny new = good and perhaps like in an arranged marriage I will eventually fall in love with my new bride.
    Question is, should and could I grumble if I have been given an older 'look' model in stead of same or newer?

Reluctant
    Free Member

DickB has a valid point. I'd be surprised if they had 06 stock in warranty dept still. Wait n see what you've got. If it does turn out to be 06, I still think it best not to grumble to the shop. They've done their best to sort you by the sound of it – several phone calls, a couple of hours of valuable workshop time and a few sundries too, no doubt. Be happy for their help!

GavinB

That seems pretty strange, as others have said I would have expected them to replace with a more current frame.

I had the opposite happen when Mrs B's XTC Comp needed replacing (brake mount loose on seat stay). She had the brown/plain one and got it replaced with the blue/White one. She was chuffed as it looked much better – exactly same frame though.

dangerousbeans
    Free Member

Giant's UK website shows the XTC Advanced 3 as black with silver writing, assume it's the same frame across the model range. The other XTC's look to be the same frame but different colour combinations.

Here – http://www.giant-bicycles.com/en-gb/bikes/model/xtc.advanced.3/4893/39097/

hora
    Free Member

I definitely see the OP's point. After all, the manufacturers/bikeshops make such a big deal over next years kit then discounting last years.

(For me)- is the 2006 different interms of any measurements, geometry, bracing or materials? Did they make any changes at all?

Thats when I'd have a problem.

dangerousbeans
    Free Member

The point is that the OP has not seen it yet so it may be a poor description by the shop bod.

Also, there is a black with silver writing option for the 2010 XTC frame so it may be that.

Reckon you'll just have to wait and see Mr Sputnik ( or can I call you Sig Sig?).

messiah
    Free Member

Wait until you see the colour of their eyes before pulling the trigger.

sputnik
    Free Member

I know the shop has done everything that is expected of them and my grumble won't be aimed at them.
    And yes, perhaps description was poor over the phone.
    I need to see it first and will report back. Feeling rather anxious though…
    I just don't want to take possession of it, and then not be able to get a 'same or newer' if I am actually entitled to it.

nickegg
    Free Member

i'm lost….if the 2006-2008 are identical apart from the paint/decals then how is recieving a NEW frame a downgrade?

Your frame broke and they replaced with a new one….thats the point of a warranty isn't?

isnilloc
    Free Member

I have an oversize ali frame, took it to the local bike shop one day, they popped it on the stand and ooooops squeezed the frame and er bent it.

Do i go mental or stay calm…next bike shop is 20 miles away….this is my local.

Stayed calm….pointed out to everyone that they had broken(well only cosmetic and im not a model, so ) my frame…..

Since then I got loads of discounts on stuff and they helped me every time i went back to the shop.

So there is a morale in this story for being calm, but of course if your never gana go back to this shop…..mmmMMM

sputnik
    Free Member

nick, you are right, and it is not a downgrade, rather a retro-grade.
    I will feel disappointed if I am going to be retro-graded if Giant usually replace with the current model.

goldenwonder
    Free Member

Giant replace with what they have available.
    If they had the same as what failed, they would send out the same again, if they haven't, they send out the closest possible & if it could be that the only composite frames they have in that size are the previous colour scheme, then thats what they'll send out, quite simple really!

nockmeister
    Free Member

If you ever sell it, as a 2007, some smarta*se on here will tell you it's a 2006 model and you should be asking 100quid less

DickBarton

Actually sounds like they have done more than was expected – assuming they aren't going to be charging you for the labour time spent on swapping the bits over…in which case they have done more than expected.

coffeeking
    Free Member

It's not really on, but TBH if the choice was between the 06 and the 07 I'd take the 06 every time. But if they've sent the 08 I'd be even happier.

stumpy01

I'd be a bit miffed to get an older version of the frame, even if it was only a cosmetic thing & there'd been no changes to the geometry/spec etc.

Probably still accept it, but with a bit of a grumble.

rockthreegozy
    Free Member

Remeber they don't have any obligation to replace- they could repair if they wanted to. A brand new frame, which is no better or worse than the broken one is a good deal regardless of colour.

grumm
    Free Member

Surely the 2008 one could also be described as black with silver writing? 😕

glenncampbell

I'd be inclined to accept the new frame and be very grateful to the shop but complain to giant – that's fairer I think!

nickegg
    Free Member

In any other instance, giving you an older frame wouln't be on but as you stated they havn't changed the frame between 3 model years so they aren't really giving you an older frame.

Let see what they actually give you first……

joe@brookscycles
    Free Member

sputnik
    Free Member

Right gentlemen, I am off to go collect it now. (100 mile round trip so will take a while).
    All the comments appreciated.
    I will be grateful for the new frame , whichever model and report back when I have returned.
    Watch this space… 🙂

njee20
    Free Member

I've only dealt with Giant's warranty department a few times, but I've had extensive dealings with Specialized, and I imagine the scale is similar, but there's not a cat in hell's chance Spesh would have 4 year old frames still kicking about, and I imagine it's the same with Giant.

I'd be very surprised if you even got an 08 frame, I'd expect a 2010 one frankly, or possibly an 09, or possibly a non-UK colour scheme, as a lot of warranty stuff is from the US or similar.

Jackass123456789
    Free Member

Personally I would grumble of a previous years model. Yes it is the same frame just a different colour scheme but that isn't the point. If you ever decide to resell the frame you would have to list it as a 2006 frame rather than a 2007 and potenially lose money.
    If you bought a new car and within it's warrenty it failed you wouldn't expect to go to the garage only to be told they swapped it out with last years model!!

Good luck and hope it's the newer one!

frazjones

any frame is better than a broken frame,you've had two good years out of the old one,have a go at giant if you feel you have been hard done by .but the bike shop have done more than reasonable as far as i can see.thank them kindly for fine service.

cynic-al
    Free Member

ungrateful ****!

whytetrash

No it's natural to feel disappointed you are not getting the latest spec/colourway

z1ppy

can't be arse to read the above reply posts about colours choices.. you have a replacement frame for free, be thankful & accept it what ever the colour.

Beagleboy

I'm really quite excited now, I hope it's the shiny new 2010 model. 😆

FuzzyWuzzy

Bound to be the 2010 model, as njee said there's little chance Giant would have 2006 frames lying around for warranty replacements.

GW
    Free Member

"ungrateful nobhead" has quite a ring to it, maybe change your user name to that. ;P

How long is Giants frame warranty? I have a couple of Giants and just assumed it'd be one year like most other stuff (ex Spesh).

coffeeking
    Free Member

Why is he not back yet, it's only 100 miles and he has a bike to build!

DezB
    Free Member

there's little chance Giant would have 2006 frames lying around for warranty replacements.

No, they're all broken.

Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 62 total)

The topic ‘Am I an ungrateful nobhead? ( frame replacement content )’ is closed to new replies.