Viewing 26 posts - 1 through 26 (of 26 total)
  • Alternative to grass in garden
  • JEngledow
    Free Member

We’ve currently got a 4mx10m (approx) lawn, but with a large dog, several overhanging trees (from neighbours gardens) including a large conifer and the torrential rain we’ve had recently its now more of a mud bath than a lawn.

We’re looking at options for replacing the grass, we’ve looked at artificial grass, but it’s either really shit looking or really expensive (and still a bit shit looking!) so that’s a bit of a no-go. We want to keep something lawn like so Paving, gravel and concrete aren’t really options, what else should we look at?

Anything we go for also needs to be dog and child friendly! Thanks.

gilbertodepiento
    Free Member

To be fair you’ve pretty much ruled out most of the alternatives. Have you looked into the rubber style flooring they use in kids play grounds? Not cheap but it is laid like Tarmac so can be made to conform to any shape, comes in loads of colours and is kid friendly. Just a thought.

Esme
    Free Member

What about some type of reinforcing mesh, such as this one ?

matt_outandabout

Heather?

properbikeco
    Free Member

if you want something lawn like your options are either natural turf or artificial grass!

If you only have a small area to do the artificial stuff is pretty good nowadays and you don’t have to cut it! It is also good to use all year round. Think of the time and labour costs involved in the upkeep of a lawn before you dismiss it as expensive.

leffeboy

I sometimes ride through a park with a large building where they often hold events and one day they were putting up tents and covering the surrounding grass with this artificial stuff. It looked incredible so I’m sure it wasn’t cheap but it changed my view of what artificial grass could be. As properbikeco says, you want to look at all the costs as your alternative may be to put in proper drainage and some reinforcing mesh 🙁

maccruiskeen

You can make lawns with the same kinds of sedums that are used for green roofs although you’d need to research that as theres all sorts of sedums and some would work better than others for the ammount of light ands wear they’ll get

You can make lawns out of clover (and bees will love you)

I’ve camped in france on a lawn of mint – totes amazeballs

you can also make lawns with camomile or thyme.

As much as its seen as a scourge of the lawn – moss to my mind is far nicer than grass.

It may also be you’ve just got the wrong grass, so maybe you need to lay or seed grass thats better suited to the shady conditions. Or with it being a largish area – unless you play bowls or tennis in the garden maybe turn it into meadow with paths amongst it rather than keeping it all mown and then having it muddy up

jonahtonto
    Free Member

i would look into seeding it with wildflowers, they are tougher than a lawn which is basically a monocrop so if there is a weather related failure the whole thing lets go. good for bees, different pretty flowers all summer, and the best bit it you only cut the grass once a year

miketually
    Free Member

Sorting the drainage might help too? Add sand before replanting?

As much as its seen as a scourge of the lawn – moss to my mind is far nicer than grass.

Our front ‘lawn’ is pretty much entirely moss now. Looks green, requires minimal maintenance.

TurnerGuy
    Free Member

moss is good – not so muddy to walk on, etc.

iolo
    Free Member

Get the neighbours to sort out the tree. Keeo the dog off the grass when its sodden with water. Use agricultural spec grass seed.
    Take the dog for more walks.

bryan-g-

Concrete it and paint it green.

globalti
    Free Member

Talk to Andrew at this firm: http://www.wesupplyartificialgrass.com/Products.aspx?code=F2NA9MZFCT

He’s a cyclist and he talks sense.

sharkbait
    Free Member

what happens to the mole hills when you’ve got artificial grass?

Seriously!

JEngledow
    Free Member

what happens to the mole hills when you’ve got artificial grass?

Same as if its concreted over!

wiggles
    Free Member

You need to set artificial mole traps

sharkbait
    Free Member

Same as if its concreted over!

Why? Do you have to lay artificial grass on a concrete base?

redthunder
    Free Member

Carpet and old washing machines .

northernmatt

Concrete it and contract a local brickie who is a mate of a mate to build you a big outbuilding. Then do a rate my brickie thread (mk2).

backinireland
    Free Member

Think you need to sort drainage first. I,d be looking at digging some drainage and if nowhere to drain it too a soakaway. Not too difficult to do, dig ditches then some 4 inch stone in them then cover over.

Have had similar problem with ours though it’s a lot bigger….

Northwind

We used to have grass, now our moss carpet is luxurious and green.

easygirl

Coke in the bedroom

CountZero

If it’s exceptionally wet, then plant it with sphagnum moss, title go all nice and bouncy, and eventually you’ll be able to dig it as peat! 😀

molgrips
    Free Member

Mud. That’s what we’ve gone for in our garden.

JEngledow
    Free Member

I’m not sure drainage would help in the long run as it’s a bog at the moment, but the large trees take all the water out in the summer! I like the idea of moss or heather, can anyone suggest where I can get more information/advice? Thanks

swedishmatt
    Free Member

You can get moss type stuff that is green and looks like grass from a distance.

Whoever thought up grass as a good way to surround houses was clever as ****. Imagine the product line up: grass seeds – check, fertilizer – check, anti moss stuff – check. Lawn mower – check. Buying new grass ready made – check.

Good marketing there like. Grass is useless.

Viewing 26 posts - 1 through 26 (of 26 total)

The topic ‘Alternative to grass in garden’ is closed to new replies.