Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 15 total)
  • allergic reaction to cycling shorts?? OH YES were talking ARSE RASH!!
  • deertrackdoctor
    Free Member

Hi my dermatologist thinks I may have a contact allergy.
    I come out in bright red blotches couple of days after a long bike ride only in the area where my padded shorts cover..
    His original thoughts were psoriasis but Topical steroid and psoriasis treatment has been unsuccessful.
    So I’m of to the hospital 3 days in a row for allergy patch testing and a Biopsy.

Has anyone ever heard of such a allergy or any experiences?
    The reason I ask is he had never seen this type of thing before.
    I am thinking allergy to
    1) The shorts themselves
    OR
    2) Detergent the shorts were washed in
    OR
    3) Something in the shower gels I use
    any thoughts or piss take suggestions? cheers DTD

ourmaninthenorth

Only when they haven't been washed for a day or two….

Sounds, er, lovely.

cinnamon_girl

Sensible question here – have your shorts got wet from puddles/rain when you have been riding? Peerhaps repeatedly? Perhaps no mudguards?

(I have an appointment with a dermatologist too).

TandemJeremy
    Free Member

Quite possibly allergy – to any of the things you mention but if its in the area of the shorts and only there then you can probably discount the shower gels and stuff.

Have you changed your detergent recently? Do so now to a non bio.

Are the shorts in question stinky / full of bacteria – sterilise them. What temp do you wash them at? Needs to be 80 to kill all the bacteria and synthetics are notorious for holding bacteria – hence the smell

deertrackdoctor
    Free Member

should have stated this has been going on for a couple of years on and off
    now got to the point where its stopped me riding so time for action

i have tried to eliminate a few things
    tried washing shorts at a higher temp
    tried endura higher cotton contect liners
    tried mud gaurds
    now ride with waterproof trousers

but still fekin get a sore arse !

RichPenny
    Free Member

Fungal infection? Have had this, cleared up with Daktarin.

thomthumb
    Free Member

i have heard of people having adverse reactions to the anti-bacterial agents that modern chamois' contain. particually the siler based ones.

cyclistm
    Free Member

Are you sore for the whole area of the shorts or just the chamois part? Is it the whole chamois area affected?

TandemJeremy
    Free Member

Ditch the synthetics completely then – pure silk, wool or cotton underpants. I believe merino cycling sorts are available.

It does not sound like infective tho really – more like a contact dematitus / allergic reation You might be allergic to the synthetic fibre.

BTW – .

deertrackdoctor
    Free Member

yes i will spare you the pictures ! yes there are pictures as the dermatologist asked me to take some pics when it flares up!
    imagine a dot to dot of ann whiticombes face and your about there.
    thanks for advice
    i will wash them at 80 rather than 60
    make sure its non bio
    someone told me i could make my own with soap flakes and bicarnonate soda ?

i does tend to be the whole short are down the back of legs rather than the chamy area !
    dermotologist mention a possible allergy to cromium??? in shamy area?

thanks for the tips

elaineanne
    Free Member

talking of washing powder …yep switch to a non bio powder and also bear in mind that washing machines of today…the adverts are always telling us to switch to 'low degrees' when washing clothes …(erm that DOES NOT kill Bacteria !!!!!! iron your padded shorts…its hotter than the washer ! but dont let the iron stick them up…lol

deertrackdoctor
    Free Member

i have heard of people having adverse reactions to the anti-bacterial agents that modern chamois' contain. particually the siler based ones.

that would sound like what he suggested .

the fungal thing had been tried out with cream but this time thery are sending part of ones arse to the LAB ! lovely eh!

avdave2

I used to get a reaction to the stitching in some trousers when I was younger. It left the inside of my thighs bright red and very sore.

deertrackdoctor
    Free Member

ah good tip elaine
    the steam will kill the bacteria as it 100 deg !
    also will now
    wash shorts at 80 deg
    iron afterwards
    use non bio

anything else i should consider other than arse transplant???
    OH AYE AND YES THEY INVITED THE FEKIN STUDENT IN TO TAKE A LOOK !!! ffs I COULD HAVE DIED !

deertrackdoctor
    Free Member

sorry forgot to ask where can i purchase 100% cotton or merino shorts preferably padded ? thanks again DTD (now known as dot to dot arse )

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 15 total)

The topic ‘allergic reaction to cycling shorts?? OH YES were talking ARSE RASH!!’ is closed to new replies.