Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 42 total)
  • All for £9 – beyond the call of duty (Wheelpro content)!
  • sv

October 2009. An upgrade is being prepared. This will consist of additional wheelbuilding notes and videos placed on this website. It will be password protected and I'll be emailing all purchasers of the book when it's ready and giving out their personal logon details.

Best £9 I have ever spent, Mr Musson keeps on giving/supporting.

drain

He is great. And incredibly self-effacing, you'd never know he was a wheelbuilding deity!

joolsburger
    Free Member

I have a set of wheels built by the man himself. He's legendary.

sv

Very pleasant he is.

rootes1

Yer great book well worth the cash – hope my dishing tool mod makes it into this revision

sv

Can you tell us the mod? Mine would be double thickness at either end (where it touches the rim).

julianwilson
    Free Member

I bought the e-book last november or so; double/triple thickness mod on the dishing tool was already in there.
    One of the best £9's i evr spent on bike stuff BTW.

twohats
    Free Member

£9!!! There are countless free web pages on the tinternet explaining how to build wheels, why pay £9 for the same advise???

mike_p
    Free Member

Because you get what you pay for.

grumm
    Free Member

seeing as I'm one of the most respected wheelbuilders around

Not that self-effacing then. 😛

grantway
    Free Member

Cant see the point Let the shop make them up

I_Ache
    Free Member

Built my first wheel with the books help the other day. It is yet to be trued up but its looking ok so far. Better than wheels from bike shops I've had thats for sure.

And its so bloody easy!

househusband

Because making and maintaining your own set(s) of wheels is one of the most satisfying things you'll ever do as regards cycling.

Great download and one I was happy to pay for.

sv

I bought the e-book last november or so; double/triple thickness mod on the dishing tool was already in there.

Oops! Must re-read the upgraded books in future 😉

I find (and so do my riding mates) it useful to be able to build and fix wheelsets. Letting the shop do it is missing the point IMO.

grantway
    Free Member

LOl I suppose it would be, being an Househusband
    Do you keep fish 😉

twohats
    Free Member

Built my first wheel with the books help the other day. It is yet to be trued up but its looking ok so far. Better than wheels from bike shops I've had thats for sure.

So its not yet finished yet its better than a bike shop wheel? That's some book that is!

sv

Suppose it's convenience as well (all in one place type thing)- the file/PDF covers everything from making your own tools and truing stand right through to final tension. With all the steps along the way, explains why things are done certain ways, also a couple of things to look for in a wheel that hints at somebody paying attention during the build. The record keeping/measurements section helps me reinforce my bike OCD 😉

To me it's worth £9.

rootes1

<<£9!!! There are countless free web pages on the tinternet explaining how to build wheels, why pay £9 for the same advise??? >>

true, but after looking at all the stuff on the web Roger's book is the best – plus handly that it is all in one nice PDF with pics etc.. plus it has lots of tips and trick etcs..

and £9 is not a lot really for the lebel of information in the book – my two 29wheels are still true after a year of use – so money well spent. So imho well worth the cash

rootes1

SV:

<<Can you tell us the mod? Mine would be double thickness at either end (where it touches the rim). >>

nope not that 😀 hopefuly my mod will be in the new book – roger seemed to like the mod when i sent pics of it

sv

nope not that hopefuly my mod will be in the new book

If it is not in the new book upgrade will you tell us then?!!!

Speshpaul

"Cant see the point Let the shop make them up "

He's right you know, its that kind of attitude thats keeps some of use in work.

I_Ache
    Free Member

twohats – Member
    So its not yet finished yet its better than a bike shop wheel? That's some book that is!

Yes it is better you don't know who my LBS is do you? They are crap I will only use them in an emergency.

Ecky-Thump
    Free Member

Roger rebuilt one of my wheels recently and suggested I hang around and watch if I wanted.

Struck me as more of an artist/musician than a technology guy. What he built up audibly was spot-on by the jigs. He then proceded to demonstrate three different tension gauges, to show that they never agree anyway!

I was sufficiently impressed to forget any further ideas about building my own. He gets my trade henceforth.

nickc

I've managed to build nearly all my wheels without Maestro Musson's help, I'm sure he builds a nice wheel an' all, but it's not really an art, it's mostly just screwing stuff together, like…

uplink
    Free Member

I've had a similar experience to Ecky-Thump
    Roger took a lot of time out whilst building a wheel for me to explain the whole process & his thoughts for doing it the way he does
    I have a hard copy of his book & it is easily the best instruction guide I've ever come across

Sadly, I don't thing he does wheel-builds any more & just sells on Hope Hoops that he's QA'd

Junkyard
    Free Member

He also does free local workshops for peole who have his book. Now I am all for the Torrent personally and the interweb but occasionally little people do some good stuff and they deserve your money
    He used to post on here giving wheel building advice as well.
    Nice guy worth £9 considering IMHO

BlingBling
    Free Member

Struck me as more of an artist/musician than a technology guy.

Is he the David Brent of wheel building? 😆

PeterPoddy
    Free Member

There are 2 points.

1) Because I can, and I want to, and I like to.

2) Because when my hub paked up on a Saturday ride, I was able to go home, strip and old buckled wheel, measure the hub to confirm I had the right spokes, and build said hub into my wheel on the Sunday, then go riding on Tuesday.

At a shop that would have cost me 24 miles worth of fuel (£3), a building charge (£20+??) and 2 hours of my time (More than the actual build time took)
    I've built 6 wheels so far from the book. The money I've saved has more than paid for my wheel building jig and dishing tool.
    😀

foxyrider
    Free Member

Here Here PP 🙂 :mrgreen:

thomthumb
    Free Member

not much use the shop doing them if your out in the wildnerness and break all the driveside spokes in your wheel have to rebuild it with half spokes just to get you off the mountain!

not me but a friend!

PeterPoddy
    Free Member

not much use the shop doing them if your out in the wildnerness and break all the driveside spokes in your wheel have to rebuild it with half spokes just to get you off the mountain!

So, he was carring cassette tools with him was he….? 🙂

nickc

Personally I'm not convinced building one's own wheels saves that much, last Xmas I fancied building a 20mm XT hub onto a rim, all the individual parts from CRC were £10 more than the equivalent ready build one from them, and CRC build a good wheel…

I build wheels, mostly 'cause I want to, but I'm not going to pay more for the privilege.

sv

CRC build a good wheel…

eh? CRC being the machine that does the building? I am a good customer of CRC but their wheel builds are average.

grantway
    Free Member

LOL PP a saving of £ 23 quid or thirty
    Just put a spare set on and give them to the shop.
    Just cant see the point.
    Do you keep fish too

sv

For me it's not about saving money – I know exactly how the wheels were built and can fix/replace as and when I require.

househusband

LOl I suppose it would be, being an Househusband
    Do you keep fish

WTF? Read my profile, dimwit – I'm a teacher.

grantway
    Free Member

Oh you Teach fish Nice kinda Koi wouldnt one say 😉

househusband

What is with you and fish, grantway?!

rootes1

also I found building wheels very calming after a crap week at work..

I made a truing stand buy getting some old forks from a local shop and mounting them in a workmate

grantway
    Free Member

Sounds all Fishy to me Househusband

Rootes1 You keep Fish too or is this just an Outer London experiance

Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 42 total)

The topic ‘All for £9 – beyond the call of duty (Wheelpro content)!’ is closed to new replies.