Viewing 21 posts - 1 through 21 (of 21 total)
  • Alcohol for cleaning brakes
  • dunmail
    Free Member

The Avid BB7 service manual https://www.sram.com/sites/default/files/techdocs/service_manual_bb7__bb5.pdf says to use alcohol to clean the brake parts.

Now I’m pretty sure that they don’t mean using a single malt so what’s best?

cookeaa

Gin or Zambooka

dunmail
    Free Member

I will be getting sozzled after having serviced them 😆

Eskimo: ta, I’m pretty sure most hardware stores sell Isopropyl Alcohol.

kevin1911

And pharmacists, but don’t go in wearing your old garage-fettling tracky bottoms and a hoody, or they’d assume you’re after a cheap buzz and will refuse to sell it to you. Happened to me twice now 😳

cbmotorsport
    Free Member

Can of Brake and clutch cleaner from your local car spares place. Great for cleaning everything.

momo

cbmotorsport – Member
    Can of Brake and clutch cleaner from your local car spares place. Great for cleaning everything.

This, with a Wurth presure sprayer (only one I’ve had last more than a couple of months!)

prawny

Is Meths ok? I’ve got loads of that lying around for no particular reason

martinhutch

No, it contains various nasties.

prawny

Ahh, that’ll be why my front brake is still knackered then

robinlaidlaw
    Free Member

Hmm, I’d use Meths over auto brake cleaner which does contain some oil. If I just want to give the discs a quick wipe I happily use meths, if they got contaminated I’d use meths then give them a good scrub with fairy liquid, hot water and a scrubby pad them rinse.

hooli

I use beer, well I drink it while cleaning the brakes with muc off brake cleaner

buck53

Hmm, I’d use Meths over auto brake cleaner which does contain some oil.

Eh? I think you’ve got that the wrong way round. Meths often has Petroleum Oil added to it whereas brake cleaner is almost all solvents with a bit of propellant if it’s pressurised.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Denatured_alcohol

http://www.ehow.co.uk/list_5985776_brake-cleaner-ingredients.html

prawny

hooli – Member
    I use beer, well I drink it while cleaning the brakes with muc off brake cleaner

This is the sort of advice I’ve been looking for. Thanks

househusband

Yup – cheaper than IPA (isopropyl alcohol, not Indian Pale Ale) too at around a tenner for (I think that’s what I paid) five litres.

bigyinn
    Free Member

Indian Pale Ale

INDIA Pale Ale is better.

househusband

Indian Pale Ale

INDIA Pale Ale is better. [/quote]

Honestly didn’t know that! Every day is a school day…

honourablegeorge

Guy bled my brakes in les arcs, spilled fluid EVERYWHERE – all over pads, caliper, rotors, wheels, the lot.

I was horrified – he just smiled, sprayed with some crazy french brake cleaner, and they were perfect after one stop. Dunno what the stuff was called, but it’s magic.

sadexpunk

always amazes me how sensitive bike discs are compared to cars. get fingerprints on them or any contaminant and theyll squeal like billy-o. car discs? chuck all the wash and wax everywhere, rinse down, drive.

Northwind

robinlaidlaw – Member

Hmm, I’d use Meths over auto brake cleaner which does contain some oil.

I’m yet to find a decent quality car brake cleaner which contains oil- not to say there’s definitely none but it seems to be mostly myth.

I got fed up this year and bought a 5 litre jug of isopropyl off ebay, that’ll clean a lot of glasses lenses. (because I don’t often use it on brakes, but I’ve been known to squirt brake fluid in my face)

retro83
    Free Member

sadexpunk – Member

always amazes me how sensitive bike discs are compared to cars. get fingerprints on them or any contaminant and theyll squeal like billy-o. car discs? chuck all the wash and wax everywhere, rinse down, drive.

Yeah, not able to get them hot enough maybe? Or maybe the compounds are different.

Viewing 21 posts - 1 through 21 (of 21 total)

The topic ‘Alcohol for cleaning brakes’ is closed to new replies.