Viewing 14 posts - 1 through 14 (of 14 total)
  • Albufeira/Algarve – opinions
  • hughjayteens
    Free Member

Looking for a week away in August with the wife and sproglets (6,4 and 3 months). Have seen a good deal at http://www.edenresort.net which generally has good reviews on Trip Advisor. The all inclusive upgrade is so cheap it’s worth taking even if we plan to cook or eat out a few times.

I’ve never been to the Algarve though so have no idea what to expect. Loved the atlantic coast around Lisbon last year but now the kids are a bit older, kids clubs appeal a little to give us some peace!

Anyone got an opinion?

Haze

Just back from a week there, not all inclusive so spent a lot of time trawling the restaurants around the old town.

Nice place…town was bustling, food was decent & everyone pretty friendly.

30+ last week and no breeze 🙂

hughjayteens
    Free Member

30+ sounds good although suspect it could be bordering on the scorchio in August!

cb

Where are the deals? I typed in a week in August and got 450 Euros per night!!

konagirl
    Free Member

cb – think you can find it through TravelZoo (they pick out ‘deals’ each day).

We stayed ~3 miles inland from Albufeira a few years ago and really enjoyed it, seemed very relaxed part of the world, although Albufeira town in August might be pretty busy! And hot. The good thing is that your on the Atlantic coast so there tends to be a cooling sea breeze by the coast, but that means you have to watch the little ones more, keep them out of the midday sun etc. Since the resort isn’t near the train line, I would hire a car – that way you can enjoy restaurants and beaches away from the resort if you want. There is a Continente supermarket at Algarve shopping by the IC4. The coastline is stunning. The wine is cheap. And if you got an opportunity, there are some nice bits of singletrack nearby…

mogrim

Went there a couple of years back, really enjoyed it. Don’t remember it being that hot, but then I live in Madrid…

Edit: with two small kids, and drove down in the car. Hiring a car would be a great idea, there are some pretty nice little towns further inland (for example Silves).

hughjayteens
    Free Member

I booked through the amazingly helpful Nigel at http://www.designertravel.co.uk/ who has restored my faith in customer service!

We got seven days in a two bedroom apartment, all inclusive with civilised flights from Gatwick and a private transfer for a little under £3k for the five of us. I could’ve saved £200 booking the flights on Opodo and the hotel on hotels4u.com but happy to pay 10% more for excellent service and convenience and to have the whole package ABTA and ATOL protected in these troubled times.

Haze

Thermometer clocked 34 on 2 days, our taxi/transfer guy was telling us they regularly hit 40 in August. He recommended September as the better month a little bit cooler though depends how you like it I guess.

He also said that it hadn’t really got busy there yet and doesn’t get mad until August, quite surprised by that because it was seemed pretty busy to me. Though having said that we never struggled for a table anywhere.

Lots of cheap Port too 🙂

giantalkali
    Free Member

To get a bit of biking in whilst you’re there, contact themountainbikeadventure dot com, based in Lagos on the Algarve, amazing scenery and excellent riding, guided day rides available with a really good guide. They’re on tripadviser as well. I had a great time there, top notch Saracen Ariel hire bikes available at a sensible price too.

hughjayteens
    Free Member

Thanks all – think I’ll need to do some bartering to get a day on the bike so good job the resort has a nice spa!

john_drummer
    Free Member

Lagos is a nice little medieval walled town that has grown a bit outside the walls; still a working town & not as much of a “resort” as say Portimao or Albufeira. Last stop on the train, nice marina, proper fish market selling the local catch etc. Plenty of restaurants too. I doubt if it’s still there, but when we were there in ’99 there was a cracking Indian restaurant up near the fire station & Iberlagos apartments

If you’ve been to Portugal you’ll know about the “cover” – couple of bits of stale crusty bread & some sardine paste, which some restaurants charge a little too much for…

+1 Silves, also Sagres is a nice little harbour village a little further along the coast. Keep going along the coast to Cape St Vincent (well, as far as you can get without falling into the Atlantic) & see the navigator school where Columbus learned his trade (or did he found the school? Can’t remember).

scuttler

Lagos last year for a week self-catering. Nice town, plenty to do in and around the Western Algarve for the family. Definitely worth renting a car and taking your own child seats as you get some right junk from the rental companies. We stayed over in the marina which is a 15 minute walk to town.

hughjayteens
    Free Member

Just emailed the bike rental place to see what they can offer! I think I’ll aim for an evening ride if possible so I can avoid the hottest time of day.

Good point re the car seats – we get a 10kg luggage allowance for the infant so I reckon I can film wrap the two larger car seats together and check them in under that.

scuttler

Child seats typically fall outside luggage allowance but as with all these airlines you need to read the smallprint. Easyjet say “For every infant or young child you can take up to two of the following items free of charge: pushchair, baby buggy, travel cot and car seat. These items can all be taken to the boarding gate or aircraft door as appropriate.” As such the only hassle is the wrapping/strapping and dragging to check-in but worth it when the disinterested bloke at Faro gives you a pile of cushions…

If you’re flying BA then let the nanny sort it.

Viewing 14 posts - 1 through 14 (of 14 total)

The topic ‘Albufeira/Algarve – opinions’ is closed to new replies.