Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)
  • Air compressor advice
  • cyclical
    Free Member

Looking to buy a “proper” air compressor for home use – mtb, motorbike and car tyres etc. Was hoping not to have to spend more than say £150 all in. Been having a look on the net but amn’t sure what power and capacity would be appropriate.

What to buy and from where ?

Any advice appreciated.

gonefishin
    Free Member

I honestly have to ask, what’s wrong with using a foot pump? Granted it might take a bit longer but it certainly won’t be an issue with mtb tyres or topping up Car and motorbike tyres either.

gravity-slave
    Free Member

Look in the screwfix catalogue for a deal – when I was last there they had a 24 litre tank, think it was 1.5hp, with air tool set for 70 odd quid.

I got a known branded one and it looks the same and was twice the price (before staff discount). I use it for a lot more than tyres (air gun, blowing out carbs, spraying, blow dry after washing, seating tubeless). For just pumping tyres, my track pump is easier and was a fiver.

thefallguy
    Free Member

aldi one for about £70 inc accessory pack, great for initial tubeless inflation, paint spraying etc. They don’t always have them in stock so keep checking.

uplink
    Free Member

Machinemart has a reasonable selection

cyclical
    Free Member

Thanks for all your help guys

sharkbait
    Free Member

I honestly have to ask, what’s wrong with using a foot pump? Granted it might take a bit longer but it certainly won’t be an issue with mtb tyres or topping up Car and motorbike tyres either.

I’ve had a small compressor for about 10 years (25ltr tank and a 1.5hp motor) which was bought used for a little paint spray job. I now find it’s almost indispensible and is fantastic for blowing up kids pools, cleaning dust/muck of fiddly bits, popping brake pistons out, removing bar grips, use with air tools – and blowing up tyres 🙂

PePPeR

max you can get to run on a household electrics is about 2.5hp sometimes you can get a 3hp to run if you use the cooker circuit, make sure the pressure goes upto 150Psi

A 150Psi tank contains 4 times more air than a tank that has a threshhold of 120Psi!!

Get as big a tank as you can in your budget (100lt is better than 50Lt)

Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)

The topic ‘Air compressor advice’ is closed to new replies.