Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 110 total)
  • "Aggressive mountain bikers are terrorising country park estate" (Bingley)
  • darrenspink
    Free Member

Come on then, own up you agressive park terrorists.

Link

mitsumonkey
    Free Member

a) Nothing has actually happened
    b) Horses do more damage to trails/footpaths than a bike ever will
    c) I just don’t believe their story

asdfhjkl
    Free Member

Yes, I’m sure they threatened to ride their bikes into horses…

Simon

Not guilty……. I would never wear lycra.

ninfan
    Free Member

‘These kids today, with the hair and the clothes…’

acidchunks

the whole story is a bit suspect but this really stands out…

‘If you don’t get out of the way we’ll ram the horses’

RicB

Terribly written article by a journo who clearly couldn’t believe their luck at being handed it on a plate by some red-socked nimbyist. Or thought to check the facts.

As above- complete storm in a teacup. Cyclists threatening to ram horses- wtf?!!!

darrenspink
    Free Member

Terribly written article by a journo who clearly couldn’t believe their luck at being handed it on a plate by some red-socked nimbyist. Or thought to check the facts.
    As above- complete storm in a teacup. Cyclists threatening to ram horses- wtf?!!!

You should post that summary on the website.

chakaping
    Free Member

Oh come on, who hasn’t rammed a horse or two when they’ve been out terrorising walkers with their bike gang before?

chakaping
    Free Member

Local riders should contact the editor about this though, highlighting the sensationalist tone and the more improbable claims.

Is there a local group that could put themselves up for a follow-up piece?

brant
    Free Member

I’ll let my dad know. He rides around there. He’s 72.

I don’t know if I clocked 32mph down Altar Lane when I raced it on a tandem in 1991 at Nemba Bingley but pretty sure JMC did.

jam-bo

Yep. Cos I’d ram a couple of hundred pounds of highly strung unstable unpredictable Nutjob. Or their horse.

slowoldman

Looks like they’re checking Strava, so names of the evil-doers should be following.

brant
    Free Member

Jeremy Copeland. He’s KOM for most of Airedale isn’t he 🙂

piedidiformaggio
    Free Member

More sensationalist self injected ‘news’ from Pam Luckin

http://www.thetelegraphandargus.co.uk/news/12947293.VIDEO__Plea_for_people_to_stop_feeding_ducks_bread_at_St_Ives_as_it_is_creating_a_soggy_carpet_at_bottom_of_pond/

“We reckon people are throwing about 80 loaves a day into Coppice Pond,” said the group’s chairman, Pam Laking

Another made up number me thinks.

busta
    Free Member

“One of the problems is the bikes have no registration numbers”

And the horses do?

zippykona

Bet they were on E bikes.

Simon

The Friends of St. Ives is a voluntary group established in 2003 to help protect and preserve St. Ives Estate for the enjoyment of all estate users.

Except cyclists they can **** right off.

hora
    Free Member

I’m not a mountain biker. I am British and male. I have hobbies and interests. I like driving and cycling so does that make me a mcycling motorist?

piedidiformaggio
    Free Member

I’m not a mountain biker

Burn him!!!!

darrenspink
    Free Member

Local riders should contact the editor about this though, highlighting the sensationalist tone and the more improbable claims.
    Is there a local group that could put themselves up for a follow-up piece?

My first thought was to write a follow up piece but there’s little point. The friends of st ives put stop to purpose built trails being built by singletraction some years ago because of their fears of the area becoming overridden by mountain bikers (obviously worried we may ram horses). The paper is a tory rag and attracts mindless depressed idiots commenting upon bullshit stories.

I don’t know why shes worried about ‘gangs’ of cyclists at night when she and her fellow FOSI will clearly be tucked up in bed with their baseball bats under the pillows.

jambalaya
    Free Member

Horses do more damage to trails/footpaths than a bike ever will

Not so sure about that

davidtaylforth
    Free Member

She’s probably got a point about the “strava” thing though….

Obviously for most people it’s just a bit of fun/a way of logging miles; but you’ll always get the sad acts that take it too seriously.

It’s bad enough on the road (my brother’s got some amusing tales about the ultra competitive middle aged men at his road club), but at least you’ll only hurt yourself. On popular off road trails where you’re gonna encounter other users, it’s stupid/selfish.

Maybe they can get the segments permanently erased from Strava?

ghostlymachine
    Free Member

Not so sure about that

There’s been some (not very well done) research. As long as your mtber isn’t developing 20+ kw. Or skidding like a 10 year old kid. Horses do more damage. IIRC, the worse the trail conditions, the more impact the horse has.

peabrain
    Free Member

“all Lycra and helmets”

Oooh errr 😛

blairc70
    Free Member

No Strava segment on Blind Lane, might have a ride up next weekend, anyone else fancy it? We can invite the Telegraph & Argus along.

BadlyWiredDog

“The view of the general public is that some mountain bikers have got far too big for their boots and we need to manage interaction between them and other users of places like St Ives,” he said.

This was my favourite bit. It was this sort of thing that culminated in the Peasants’ Revolt of 1381…

langylad
    Free Member

I’m with Hora, you mountain biking scum

Bregante

langylad – Member
    I’m with Hora

Wait til I see binners.

Simon

I hope she hasn’t watched Chris Akrigg’s Trail Trials 🙂

Northwind

I like the bit where they’re extra offended by people riding bikes when there’s nobody else there.

Also, they say “the riders are all lycra”, everyone knows aggressive xxxc needs baggies.

Mugboo

I attended a mixed group walk round St Ives when we were hoping to build the trail.

Council bloke was well up for it.

Rights of way lady was really cool.

Friends of St Ives lady said that it was only a matter of time before we killed a child. I enquired as to how many near misses? Answer, none.

Bird watching oddball clearly wished that all of us would just leave him alone with his feathered friends.

Horsey lady was the most frightfull gobshite I had ever met and just wanted a wide smooth track to gallop on.

Me, I just listened a lot and realised how impossible it is to please everybody. Glad I’m a barber.

shredder
    Free Member

Oh well as we were then ride on…. 😀

beecoacc
    Free Member

I’d have thought the lads parked up smoking dope would be a bigger issue. Think of the children and all that.

Can’t understand what night riding has to do with it,it’s on the bridleways and I’ve never come across a horse at night.

brakes
    Free Member

an historic

didn’t get further than this ^^^

RicB

It’s just simple bigotry.

I’ve tried many times to reason with people of that narrow minded view and now I just don’t bother. In fact I make an effort to be extra nice and polite because it seems to annoy them even more. Probably because I don’t then fit into their mountain biker = satanic, antisocial animal mindset

The same happened a few years ago on Ilkley moor, when some local buffoon wanted rid of mountain bikers and came up with a load of made up near-miss and horror stories. Ilkley gazette lapped it up until they realised most of it wasn’t true

B.A.Nana
    Free Member

I attended a mixed group walk round St Ives when we were hoping to build the trail.

Is that the same occasion when one of them refused to talk to Tim directly, addressing him through a third party instead?. 😆

They’re not all unreasonable, but a few on the committee are hardcore and tick every box of the unreasonable retired middle class busybody, it’s no surprise that an unfortunate isolated incident has been jumped on to make a big deal of.

They’ve had an issue with night riding for quite a long time, essentially all the nocturnal creatures are going to die of fright or pack their bags or stuff to that effect. The fact is that those creatures are more likely to see/hear you coming long before you see them, but they see it as an assault on their habitat.

Their core argument around mtbers disturbing flora and fauna is a joke. Mtber are always going to stick to the tracks and are transient, causing minimal disturbance, were as they’re quite happy for people’s darling little fido to rummage in the undergrowth many metres off the paths, crap everywhere, chase furry little animals and disturb nesting birds. Yet that’s not an issue to them as some of them are dog owners and it’s all quite acceptable.

Simon

Is that the same occasion when one of them refused to talk to Tim directly, addressing him through a third party instead?.

Really? That’s just weird.

B.A.Nana
    Free Member

Yes, according to Tim and as you know he’s about the nicest most reasonable articulate person you could meet, but that guy had clearly made his judgements long before any meetings. Just childish behaviour I guess and those sorts aren’t going to be open to adult discussion.

B.A.Nana
    Free Member

blairc70 – Member
    No Strava segment on Blind Lane, might have a ride up next weekend, anyone else fancy it? We can invite the Telegraph & Argus along.

You need to zoom in/toggle around, the estate is covered in them multiple times incl. up and down Blind Lane. Brant’s right, most KOM’s held by his mate.

Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 110 total)

The topic ‘"Aggressive mountain bikers are terrorising country park estate" (Bingley)’ is closed to new replies.