• This topic has 45 replies, 38 voices, and was last updated 8 years ago by gg14.
Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 46 total)
  • Age old question of what chain lube
  • M6TTF
    Free Member

I’ve been through quite a few. Currently on pedros ice wax, which is great for a clean chain, and easy to clean up when needed, however after 3 hours my chain sounds dry. I can’t stand gunky thick lubes, so what’s currently your go to lube

cp

I try other stuff then always come back to purple extreme

Goldigger
    Free Member

Finish Line Dry Teflon Plus Chain Lube

houndlegs
    Free Member

Whatever oil is down the shed, its only a bike chain, not a F1 engine.

iainc

Squirt in summer

Progold extreme the other 9 months

😀

Ticklinjock

I got into the way of using Pedros Syn lube.
    Keeps the chain noticeably cleaner and lasts well.
    Lately, I’ve been using Muck-off motorbike chain lube, just because it’s easier to find in my garage, and it lasts longer.

cloudnine
    Free Member

Rock n roll gold.. cleans and lubes

M6TTF
    Free Member

Tried the rock n roll gold – pretty good, but expensive when you have to drench your chain in it – lots of wastage.

eddiebaby
    Free Member

Muc Off ceramic

nickc

I can’t stand gunky thick lubes

Don’t put too much on in the first place?

poah
    Free Member

juice lubes chain juice wet for wet and muddy

muc off C3 ceramic dry lube for the dry.

going to change the dry lube though as its not great.

thegreatape
    Free Member

Scottoiler UBS is doing us very well up here in soggy Scotland

oldboy
    Free Member

Have a look at Sheldon. It isn’t just about the lube, it’s getting it into the contact surfaces of the chain itself.

joolsburger
    Free Member

Sthil synthplus light chainsaw oil, twas cheap and works very well if you clean the excess it off afterward.

twang
    Free Member

Squirt changed my life.

M6TTF
    Free Member

That purple extreme sounds promising – if it is anywhere near the cleanliness of a dry lube, but lasts at least one ride I’ll be happy

Suggsey
    Free Member

Muc off C3 dry lube…..I found Scotoiler UBS just doesn’t last long enough for my rides…….so used C3 wet when it was wet and switched now it’s dry back to the dry version. Nice clean drivetrain still and more importantly C3 still in the rollers/ pins and a quiet drivetrain.

jonba
    Free Member

Nice dry lube on my road bike. Cross/commuter/Mtb all get chainsaw oil or engine oil as even dedicated wet lubes disappear in one wet ride.

jambalaya
    Free Member

Viking Juice from Juice Lube. I hate the thick stuff and this is great,moreover it to White Lightening I used before. First lot bought at and on recommendation of 18 Bikes, last lot direct from Juice Lubes website. Buy 3 for free delivery or get some Fork Juice too

Northwind

Still on the putoline motorbike wax, it’s a ballache to apply but I’m yet to find another product that comes anywhere close tbh. I started to get a wee bit of ghost shifting today at a muddy golfy, thought that’s weird, then realised it’s because I’ve been on this same load of chainwax since March.

mtbtomo
    Free Member

I could never tell where or how much purple extreme I’d applied. It was like water, and you could never tell whether it was still on the chain or not – so you had to apply every ride to be sure.

I’m currently using Muc Off Ceramic – both wet and dry. Bizzarely the “wet” stuff dries to a black film – but its totally dry. The “dry” stuff seems to stay a bit waxy to touch.

I also really like Squirt and Pedro’s dry ice because they keep things fairly clean as it flakes off.

survivor

I’m with Houndlegs on this one. It’s just a bike chain.

Pound shop chain oil…. Bike gets washed and re-oiled after every ride.. Does the job.

Suggsey
    Free Member

Mtbtomo….think you may be over applying it! Try it a good four hours or ideally the day before your ride and wipe off any excess…..if you apply one drop per roller you’ll find there shouldn’t be any excess in my experience.

schmiken

Try Chain-L, great stuff.

DaveRambo

I’ve tried a few but haven’t changed since I started using Squirt.

everyone
    Free Member

Chain-L +1

edenvalleyboy
    Free Member

Mm so I’ve been using Shimano with PTFE. Would have thought someone would have said using this by now. Any one have a reason why I should use something else or is it just personal preference?

Tracey

Use White Lightening on all ours, have done for years and always works well

Fat-boy-fat

Pro Gold Xtreme for me. Even more expensive but very good.

iainc

^^^^ +1 🙂

iainc – Member
    Squirt in summer

Progold extreme the other 9 months

🙂

POSTED 22 HOURS AGO #

adsh
    Free Member

Squirt year round

lowey

Squirt. Ace stuff.

phy7tes
    Free Member

Another lover of Squirt. Get a big one.

iainc

as a Squirter 🙂 a word of caution – it’s great on MTB and IMO less so on road bike where due to static or something it builds up into black gunky balls which mess with shifting after a few weeks of use

matt_outandabout

NOT Rock and Roll – it just doesn’t seem to last/stay on the chain. Needs more applications.

Back to good old MucOff wet conditions for me.

M6TTF
    Free Member

What’s squirt like in wet and muddy conditions (so 85% of the year)

thisisnotaspoon
    Free Member

Dunno, but UBS looks like the same kind of idea and comes in 750ml bottles (and there was an offer on buying 2!).

Currently using Muck-Off dry untill the bottle runs out then will try the UBS on the chain with the empty bottle.

Putoline in winter. It would probably do a great job in summer too, but I can’t get my head arround not having to re-lube the chain for that long (if you avoid actualy riding through hub deep mud it would probably do a whole winter, god knows how long it’d last on summer, I chicken out first!). The trick is to use a gas hob, not a trangia, get it hot enough that it gets really thin so that the excess runs off the chain as it comes out.

Between 3 pints of UBS and 2.5kg of putoline, I don’t think I ever need to buy lube again.

iainc

M6TTF – Member
    What’s squirt like in wet and muddy conditions (so 85% of the year)

its ok for short rides but I find it washes out over a 2 hr ride, hence Progold Extreme or MucOff C3 wet when I’m not on Squirt

cheshirecat
    Free Member

Also on Squirt here, seems good for the sub-2 hour rides I do. Keeps the drivetrain nice and tidy.

Just don’t google Squirt….

M6TTF
    Free Member

squirt is a no-go then. ice wax would be great if it lasted more than a couple of hours. Few people have recommended the regular pro gold to me as well, so may give that a whirl.

Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 46 total)

The topic ‘Age old question of what chain lube’ is closed to new replies.