Viewing 18 posts - 1 through 18 (of 18 total)
  • After a new full suspension bike – need advice
  • tetsujin
    Free Member

Hi foiks.

New here, so first of hello! 😀

ive been a long time mtb rider but stopped about 10 years ago and got back into it recently (few years)

I am looking at a new bike in the new year after the mud and crud start to dry and have been doing a lot of research into what bike to get and what type.

I currently have a 2010 Boardman Pro HT which I find is perfect for the type of riding I do most which is trail/tow paths and the like and have changed a few things to make the bike a little better.

Before this I have a 2007 Orange Crush which I loved but for the above riding I found a bit full on with its 2.35 tyres and that.

But thing is all my friend have full suspension bike. and if we go places I get pretty envious as my bike although lightning fast up the hills and flats is hard going to keep speed with them on the downs esp if it bumpy!

So 3 weeks ago I did a test ride on a brand spanking new Orange Five Pro for a full weekend. Great spec and nice on the downs but if I am honest it seemed slow and sluggish on the flat and hills. I read that its a great all rounder but wasn’t sure.

I put this down to the fact I had a cold that weekend s doubt I put all my effort into the ride, it was windy and cold and I was used to a much lighter bike (the Orange is not the lightest for £3100! hahah).

So anyway this leads me on to my question.

What sort of bike could you recommend (other than an Orange Five) that I could get on with?

I have a rough budget of £2000 but am willing to spend extra for a better bike.

I am a larger (not fat though) rider at 6’3 and 17 stone so reliability and strength are important. But I also want a bike thats fun up the hill and back down it. Also I don’t want a bike that looks like its created for a 15 year old either! 😀 (bright wheels/snazzy paint screaming look at me!).

Here are my favs…

2012 lapierre Zesty 314

Not riden one yet but gets great reviews, seems well spec’d and light and look great. Bit worried about all the bad press on the frames breaking though. Should I be worried really. I doubt I am the type to be ding large drop offs etc.

2012 Giant Trance x1
    Not as good spec as the lapierre for similar cash bu the bike looks great and has a good right up – plus I know Giants are not everyone first pick but they know how to make a good bike and the 2112 x1 looks nice too. Again, not got to ride this. Also come with a lifetime guaranteed on the frame – or so my LBS said? True?

Also with my no rush attitude I plan to hopefully get one of the above in the sale? as they all seem to bring out new bike at different time of the year!

OR just grab a second had frame and build up my own bike to how I like it. Thinking Santa Cruz Heckler or an Giant Trance frame can be had new with the RP23 for £600.

Any advice really appreciated though and great to hear people views but remember I am no ‘pro rider just a man who like to get outdoors and keep fit not try and do the biggest jumps or skids! 😀 haha

renton
    Free Member

I wouldnt bother with the zesty as the lapierres have rider weight limits of 100kg.

tetsujin
    Free Member

Really, even the Zesty?

Thats a shame if it does and the two separate lbs I went to both never mentioned it! 🙁

Shame as its a lovely bike and I was tempted to buy there and then when I saw it but then read of the frame issues and bad returns and another shop said they are no longer selling Lapierres (who were a lapierre stockist) due to high number or returns/complaints.

Hence why I liked the idea of the Giant lifetime guarantee on the frames.

chakaping
    Free Member

The Giants are light and nice to ride and my friend who is in a similar situation to yourself is very pleased with his. I’ve had a couple of Giant FS bikes in recent years and they have been very reliable too.

But of the two I’d still get the Zesty. I’ve owned one before and I’d be surprised if it was not at least as stiff as the Giant. Probably heavier but carries its weight well.

Zesty is more of an enthusiasts’ bike for sure, but the Giant Reign is probably a closer rival to the Zesty tbh.

Whyte1
    Free Member

Trek EX

Canyon Nerve XC

Whyte T120

FuzzyWuzzy

What sort of places are you intending to ride FS? Sounds like a short-travel 29er might be more suited? The Anthem 2012 29 X2 is £1800, the X1 is £2300. http://www.tredz.co.uk/.Giant-Anthem-X-29er-2-Mountain-Bike-2012-Full-Suspension-MTB_48696.htm

tetsujin
    Free Member

Thanks

Re the Lapierres weight limit thing, it looks like there is a 100kg limit on ALL bikes. I am sure it would hold up fine but not to comforting on a bike costing over £2000! 😀

So the Giant Reign is that a more XC or more AM bike compared to the Trance?

Will look now 🙂

tetsujin
    Free Member

I mainly ride Delamere Forest or Llandegla but I have a few mates into DH so might follow them sometimes on other trails but I don’t want a DH focused bike or a XC focused.

My other option is to bild up a more fun HT like another Orange Crush? and 120-140mm fork.

But if I did get a FS bike I would keep my hardtail.

Im not really too sure on the 29er’s for now and am quite happy with the normal 26 inch. 🙂

neninja
    Free Member

Pauls have some cracking offers on 2011 Giants at the moment. You can get the better spec’d 2011 X1 for the same price as the 2012 X1.

IA

6’4″ here riding an XL trance, debating selling it if you’d be interested? Would be about 1k (need to have a think). Older 4″ one, 120mm bolt-thru rebas, hope/717s, avid ultimates, X0/X9, carbon easton etc etc. Probably the other end of the country though, up in Edinburgh…tho will be in Yorkshire after xmas

Mostly thinking of selling to get something a bit more XC-spanky in a 29er guise…

FunkyDunc
    Free Member

If you think an Orange 5 was sluggish up the hills and on the flat (which I agree with) then I cant understand why your looking at some thing like the Giant TRance.

Look at the Giant Anthem X1/X2, In terms of ultimate power transfer its not going to quite match a hardtail, but IMO it climbs better than a hradtail in every way, and is as good as any 5″ bike downhill.

Pedalon have 2011 Anthem’s at much reduced price, which IMO are better specced than the 2012!

tetsujin
    Free Member

Sounds nice but not looking to buy just yet but thanks anyway 🙂 On a side note, are you a heavy rider or just tall. How have you found the Mavic 717 rims as looking at getting some but worried about the weight.

As for Pauls Cycles, yeah I noticed the 2011 x1 and the spec is nice.

Will also look at the other bikes mentioned Trek EX, Canyon Nerve XC, Whyte T120. 🙂

tetsujin
    Free Member

FunkyDunc
    I was interested in the Trance as it gets good reviews for the all round bike and Bike Radar said it was good up hills as have others so though it was a good bike?

i am not expecting the bike to be a quick on the fire roads/uphills but I dont want a bike that kills me when I get to the to.

I like biking because its more fun than running! 😀 so what to keep that fun side for everything I do when out on it – plus sometimes I may ride from my house so there is a little bit of road/cycle paths involved.

My GF dad has a lapierre X 410 X Control but thats the bike I am trying to slightly advance on as for me its a bit too XC – hence the Zesty.

tetsujin
    Free Member

Just looked at the Anthem X1 2011 – great spec, seems a nice bike but what a bad choice from the Giant marketing team to give it the blue paint makeover! Sorry there is no way I could ride that! 😀 give me just plain black nd white and call me boring. It would be to embarrassing getting that out of the car! 😀 haha

Anthem X2 seems nicer colour wise but not as nice spec.

IA

I’m not very heavy – 85kg(with no kit), I do eat wheels a bit tho. I find the 717s fine – I don’t think narrow mavics are much weaker than the DH ones (for reference, I run 721s on my DH bike) just narrower. The wheel build matters more IMO, double butted spokes help, a bit of elasticity helps prevent breakage.

People saying a trance is similar to a 5 in terms of climbing – I’d say the trance is better. But then most people have a heavier build on a 5? Having said that, you do save nearly 2lb in the frame going to an anthem X. But then I quite like the sturdiness of the trance…seems to take what I can give it. Some bikes can feel flexy in big sizes, trance is fine (noticeably stiffer than my old prophet, a little ping-y at the rear).

renton
    Free Member

what about a specialized pitch ?? 150mm both ends, well able to take your weight (im 18 stone and mine is fine)

chakaping
    Free Member

So the Giant Reign is that a more XC or more AM bike compared to the Trance?

More AM, 150mm travel but still a Fox 32 fork rather than a 36 – so on the XC side of AM.

🙂

stumpy01

renton – Member
    what about a specialized pitch ?? 150mm both ends, well able to take your weight (im 18 stone and mine is fine)

They’re not making the pitch anymore, are they?

How about a Stumpjumper FSR? 🙂
    I love mine, although you aren’t meant to mention the Specialized name on here, really.
    To me, it feels nice & tight on smooth, swoopy ground and when climbing, but copes really well with rough descents. Well, way better than I do anyway.
    It’s a lot less of a ‘comfy armchair’ type ride than the last Orange 5 I rode (although that was a few years ago).

Viewing 18 posts - 1 through 18 (of 18 total)

The topic ‘After a new full suspension bike – need advice’ is closed to new replies.