Viewing 13 posts - 1 through 13 (of 13 total)
  • Advice re. mobile phones with GPS
  • yesiamtom
    Free Member

So i need a new phone and obviously it must be a do everything bells and whistles GPS capable handset. Ive never really gone for mobile phones much (phone+text always did me) but given how cheap they are i want something nice 🙂 .

Ive been looking at the nokia 5230 and their new x6 but information is a bit vague so im just wondering if anyone can help me out here. Basically i was looking at a £20 nokia 5230 or £25 x6 contract both with unlimited data which i belive covers web browsing etc and GPS usage. I can also get the 5230 for £75 form tescos on pay as you go.

Can anyone tell me whether the GPS on nokia phones will give anything meaningful for mountain biking? I realise gps can get flakey under trees but something vaguely accurate would be fine!

Any help would be much appreciated as im a phoneophile.

Digimap
    Free Member

Sorry posted a load of tosh there, looks like the new 5230 does have GPS.

br
    Free Member

I've a Nokia e71 and use its gps/sportstracker to map all my rides, works really well.

But its not a gps that can tell you the OS data, but it will show you where you are also on Nokia maps – but still no real good unless there are roads nearby.

yesiamtom
    Free Member

Really i want something that can generate .gpx files so i can use them on something like mapmyride or, i presume, other gps software on the pc to look at rides. Stuffl ike average speed and distance really.

Been looking at HTC Desires too. Should stop trying to find ways of wasting my money : )

Flaperon

Android + My Tracks.

http://mytracks.appspot.com/

flipiddy
    Free Member

I've got a 5800, which I think is very similar to the 5230 – I really like it as a decent value smartphone. Virgin mobile do some cracking deals.

Ovimaps is an excellent free GPS for the car or walking, but not used it offroad for biking.

I've been eyeing up http://www.viewranger.com/ for a biking OS solution with the 5800. The only problem is that the bike mounts I've seen for Nokia phones look a bit poor, but it is very much do-able. In theory, it should be an ideal solution as the Nokia phones are built tough.

TheFlyingOx

Android + My Tracks.

http://mytracks.appspot.com/

+1

Got this on my Xperia X10 and it's about a million times better than I expected from a phone-based GPS system. As far as I can tell it's good to the nearest metre or two. This is me out on a 3 hour ride the other day and it used about 10% of the battery, which is frickin' awesome given that a 10 minute phonecall near enough kills the bugger: http://bit.ly/d169nL

nickjb
    Free Member

Happy so far with my 5800. Viewranger is nice for os maps. Nokia maps and sportstracker are good free apps. Googlemaps is pretty handy, too. GPS is much quicker to get a signal and better in the trees than my garmin

IA

"But its not a gps that can tell you the OS data"

Yes it can, you just need to use the location app.

Nokia sportstracker is good for tracking rides etc. However whatever phone you use, GPS tracking will hose the battery a bit – not great if you *need* to make a call.

takisawa2

5800 here, 100min / 100txts unlimited data for £15/month. Phone was free. On Virgin Mobile. GPS works well.

TenMen
    Free Member

I've got a 5800, but wasn't sure if the GPS uses an internet connection as well as the GPS, as I haven't paid extra for internet, just phone calls and texts. Is it, like, totally free?

CaptainMainwaring
    Free Member

You are better off getting the phone you want to phone things, and a basic GPS for under £100. It will be waterproof and shockproof so actually usable and won't kill your phone battery as GPS does on a phone

stanley

Nokia X6…. fantastic !
    Had mine since December. Very pleased with it.
    The gps is superb (better than my Garmin). I use it with Google maps, Ovi maps (satnav) and also Viewranger.
    The first two were free, the Viewranger costs but I have the whole of the UK at 1:50k in proper os mapping on the phone.
    Very nice to use. I record routes, create routes, share routes to and from Tracklogs on my pc.
    Other things… the camera is very good, music player is good, loads of free or cheap apps for it.
    Mine came with "Comes with music" too, so unlimited free music downloads for 1 year. Added 100+ albums to my collection already 🙂

Battery life is good on this phone. ie some calls, use music player, gps for several hours, mess with phone, etc… lasts all weekend.

Viewing 13 posts - 1 through 13 (of 13 total)

The topic ‘Advice re. mobile phones with GPS’ is closed to new replies.